The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal Microphone Step-up Condenser Microphones
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Nut

Vocal Microphone Step-up

Hi there.
I asked a while ago about a vocals only mic and got many tips.
Now it seems i finally going to earn my first nickle and im
instantly changing my plans.
Before the pricerange and idea was TLM 103 but now im
lookin at a M147 Tube.
The price is about 1900 Euro.

What can i find in the same pricerange that would be
worth looking at besides the M147 ?
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

I personally did not like the M147.
Maybe a Brauner or Soundelux. What do they go for around you.
Are you looking for an all rounder or for a certain style.
See if you can get some and try out. I am happy with my soundelux U99.
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Addict

Yeah makes ure you listen and compare that 147 to other mics before you buy. I for one can't stand the "honky mid-range in a box" sound of most modern day Neumann's. The M149 can sound nice.

Brauner and Soudelux are the mics to look at in your range. Brauner for transparency and air, and soundelux if you want color. I'm getting a Valvet soon to evaluate coz I'm looking for transparency and "air." Between that, a u99, a u195, you should be able to find something that works for you.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ckevperry
The M149 can sound nice.

Are you using that on female vocals? I found it much too sibilant on male vox but could've been the preamp combo.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

M147 @ 1900 EURO???

Isn't that a bit high?

You might want to check out some of the MicroTech-Gefell mics.
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by drundall

Are you using that on female vocals? I found it much too sibilant on male vox but could've been the preamp combo.
Not overly sibilant on sources I heard it on....but I will gladly pop in a de-esser to keep the "air" in there.

What preamp was it you used? I favor more neutral flavors like the Great River or Crane song clean.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

I've never found a (singing) voice that "loved" the M149. Even when paired to a 1073 which is not a very sibilant mic-pre to start with... For voice-over work it was more useful. The best use I've found for them so far is as room mics. (And somewhat overpriced ones at that...) tut

I'd pass on the 147 as a primary vocal mic. Way too dark and boxy sounding unless used for a very thin and scratchy singer...
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the new input.
I guess the fact of owning a Neumann is blinding me.

It wont be used for female or thin n´scartchy vocals.
Its mostly for male (loud) rock/pop vocals.

Too sibilat scares me, i want an open airy sound but
with natural tubesaturation . Well the tubesaturation is actually
not a must but since i worked a little with tubesaturator-knobs on preamps i thought it would be nice to have a mic with
its own natural tube-sat. onboard.

Brauner and Soudelux looks like the ones to look at .
I need more money.

Update: Are these microphones sold in Europe ?
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

another vote for the Microtech Gefell mic's. Microtech is the former eastern Germany factory of Neumann btw.
Old 15th November 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
I've never found a (singing) voice that "loved" the M149. Even when paired to a 1073 which is not a very sibilant mic-pre to start with... For voice-over work it was more useful. The best use I've found for them so far is as room mics. (And somewhat overpriced ones at that...) tut

I'd pass on the 147 as a primary vocal mic. Way too dark and boxy sounding unless used for a very thin and scratchy singer...
What groundcontrol said.

For pop/rock male vocal, a good budget call might be an SM7 or SM57. Otherwise, a good 47 or 67.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Nut

"another vote for the Microtech Gefell mic's."

I'll be in the market for a new LDC soon too. I haven't had any experience with Microtech Gefell mics. So what's your favorite M.G. Microphones and why.

Right now I'm considering the U195, iFet7, and maybe a Valvet.
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Maniac

CMV 563?

I did a mini shoot-out for a singer last night. Male rock singer ranging from breathy to gritty. The candidates: Blue modified CMV563 w. B6 capsule, Neumann 147, and an AKG C12VR w. a CK12 capsule.

We ranked them as follows:

1. AKG C12VR w. CK12
2. Blue CMV563 w. B6
3. Neumann 149

The AKG barely beat the Blue. They were very similar and both sounded great. For the money the Blue CMV at almost 1/2 the price was the clear winner.

I don't know if they are sold in Europe, and you would not have other patterns w/o buying more capsules, but the Blue CMV563 is a worthy candidate for vocals.

JR
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Addict

Re: CMV 563?

Quote:
Originally posted by wurly
I did a mini shoot-out for a singer last night. Male rock singer ranging from breathy to gritty. The candidates: Blue modified CMV563 w. B6 capsule, Neumann 147, and an AKG C12VR w. a CK12 capsule.
I've been looking for a CMV for a while, but want one with all the capsules, and that has been gone through by a tech. Yours sounds like just what I'm looking for. Does Blue actually sell these, or do they do mods to older units? Do the older capsules not work after their mod's?
Old 18th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Try out the Studio Projects T3 (tube) and TB-1 (tube) microphones too.
Their website is www.studioprojectsusa.com

On my voice, I also like the Beyer M88 (have a TG model), and the
Sennheiser 421 (have the Beyer Soundstar X1 "soundalike" at home),
especially when they're run through a Meek compressor.

Chris
Old 18th November 2002
$1900 Euro? If you could stretch just a little, I'd go for a pair of Soundelux U195 or a pair of Royer 121's, or one of each, but that's just me.
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Nut

"or a pair of Royer 121's"

You like the 121's as vocal mikes?

There's a pair of U195's sealed on ebay right now for $1900
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Nut

Its down to either a Soundeluxe or a Brauner.
Either way it seems to be some kind of import solution.

Whats your experiences buying stuff on Ebay ?
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Maniac

CMV563-CrazyBeast

Yes, Blue sells the odd CMV563, that's where I bought the one I that I posted about on earlier in this thread. Or they could refurbish one from your collection. I bought a stock unit from a posting on RAP once also. The Blue modified unit can use stock capsules, or with a bayonet adapter, Blue capsules.

wurly
Old 18th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by 1nation
"or a pair of Royer 121's"

You like the 121's as vocal mikes?
In the right song ribbons sound great as vocal mics.
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Addict

the blue limited edition dragonfly...great vocal mic...beats my neumans.... the new neumans ...very inconsistant...try a lot of them before you buy one..each sounds different.
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
the blue limited edition dragonfly...great vocal mic...
Total StarWars design !
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mixer
the new neumans ...very inconsistant...try a lot of them before you buy one..each sounds different.
They all sound the same to me! dfegad
Old 21st November 2002
Lives for gear

For much the same money (a little more) you could get the CAD VX2... I thought it was really good but I've only used it briefly.... maybe our american friends could elaborate on pros and cons....

As for the M147, I think it's one of those mics that only suits the odd vocalist, that said, I had a good result using it on a male rap, quiet a rough/dark voice.

I'd also vote for the microtech geffel but do check the CAD, and the prices are quiet good in Europe while they are trying to estabilsh a profile over here
Old 21st November 2002
Gear Addict

i am a big fan of cad mikes..have not seen the vx2...but i have the whole equitech line..the 200 is nice for background vocals and far miking a kick drum....the 100 is my favorite hi hat mike... i think for their price range they really are good mikes.also nice folks to talk to.
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Addict

microtech gefell

A number of you have mentioned Microtech Gefell. Which modern Gefell mic(s) have you tried and liked? (i.e., not the CMV, which is no longer made) The UMT70 is the one i've seen the most good words about. Any opinions? Thanks, all.
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear
Mickey Bee, which Pre are you running? The tlm 103 is pretty good for the money but depends alot on the pre. I just got the Soundelux 195 and so far its not my fave for vox but, like I said I just got it. I also like the Lawson mics, I've had the L47mp for a while and its very good and am trying out their L251 also and its very nice. If you don't have alot of pres you may be better off getting 2 0r 3 lower priced mics as no one mic will be the one for everyone. I'd like to get a shure beta 58 and an sm7, more is better right? Take care
Daniel
Old 26th November 2002
Gear Nut

>Daniel.
I´ve got a Joemeek VC1Q cs.
Ive got many tips but i have not made up my mind yet.
I didnt know there where so many brands out there.
Soundelux feels like my choise right now......

What did you think was missing in the soundelux making you choose another mic for vocals?
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by MickeyBee
>Daniel.
What did you think was missing in the soundelux making you choose another mic for vocals?
Mickey,I have a plain jane vc1 also, I'll try the 195 with it and some of my other mics, and I'll get back to you.
I've tried the the 195 on acoustic guitar, and I really liked it.
I also had the Lawson 47 and the 195 up for a young female singer and if I remember right I went to the 47 for more balls and top, I think the 195 had more mids. The Lawson is more than twice as much so in that case more was better
I think I was using the vintech 1272, but I may have had an avalon 737 in there too, wish I could remember.
Hey you can't lose with the 195, the price is right!
Take care
Daniel

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search