The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quad Eight Westar Studio Amplifiers
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quad Eight Westar

I know there are a lot of quad eight fans here.

here's something i found on ebay that you might like. heh

http://cgi.ebay.com/MITSUBISHI-QUAD-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Nut

Brings Back Memories

That brings back memories. I used to work at Mistsubishi Pro Audio Group, Quad Eight/Westrex. I designed quite a few of the PCB's that went into that beast.

Cheers,
Joec
heh
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Nut

Walth,

Yes, nice console.

QE/Westar idea with small plug-in modules on the channel strip are great features. (Sony MPX-3000 have similar idea)
There was five different equalizers and two mike amps as a option choice.

Joec,

Do you know if there was same desig stuff for the Westar console and Pasifica/Ventura and the older discrete consoles.

I know that both Dane Jensen and Bill Whitlock was earlier involved, but was there other design tech's ??

--Bo
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Hansén View Post
Walth,

Yes, nice console.

QE/Weststar idea with small plug-in modules on the channel strip are great features. (Sony MPX-3000 have similar idea)
There was five different equalizers and two mike amps as a option choice.

Joec,

Do you know if there was same desig stuff for the Weststar console and Pasifica/Ventura and the older discrete consoles.

I know that both Dane Jensen and Bill Whitlock was earlier involved, but was there other design tech's ??

--Bo
Bo,
It would probably be safe to say that there is nothing inside the Westar consoles that has any relationship to the early Quad Eight products except for the logo and the name.

Dean Jensen was long gone from this planet when the Westar was built and I am pretty sure Bill had no involvment. It was basically Mitsubishi buying the name and building consoles to go with their digital machines.

Sadly the digital machines always sounded much better than their consoles.
Old 28th November 2007
Gear Nut

The Demise of Quad Eight

I worked for them for them from 1986-88. I was laid off when the company went belly up in ‘88.

The story of the demise of Mitsubishi Pro Audio Group/Quad Eight/Westrex is very instructive because it demonstrates that there are no unimportant jobs within an organization.

There are quite number of push button switches and pots on the Westar consoles. From the panel all you see is the button or the knob, but on the other side of the metal work these switches could be anywhere from a 4 way to a 12 way and really large. These switch and pots represented a significant cost fraction of the consoles. The best and most expensive were sealed with gold contacts. The cheapest that we used were unsealed with silver contacts. All switches and pots that directly handled audio should be of the former variety. In non-critical control applications the latter may be acceptable.

Management wanted to change the business model for their console business from a build per-order model to semi-production models where inventory was pre-built and reconfigured based on incoming orders so we built quite a bit of inventory backlog.

I was involved with the company during this phase, and I was given quite a number of quick turn designs to do. As per usual in engineer, everything takes longer than anticipated, and on one particularly critical PCB design they asked me to turn the design and have the fabricated boards back by Friday of the same week. I went to the purchasing agent who was responsible for ordering PCB's and she told me that it was impossible to do better than a 1 week turn from the time I taped out the design to delivery. Since this was unacceptable schedule-wise, I cracked open a trade magazine and bid the job out to a few of the shops who were advertising. To my surprise, I was able to get 48 hour turn with pickup and delivery service for a fraction of the cost our current vender's pricing for normal turn around and no pickup and delivery service.

I was feeling pretty good about myself until the purchasing agent; let’s call her Linda, burst into my office screaming bloody murder. I was shaken by the event, but I was consoled by my co-workers who told me that Linda was just a foul mannered individual who was upset because of the embarrassment of being shown up at her job by a low level engineer who could picked up the phone and ask for pricing.

The job of a purchasing agent is as I understand it is to secure the most favorable term for the company they are working for, and it is understandable that she was embarrassed by this situation.

Fast forward to post-demise of the firm, I was talking to a friend who stayed to pick up the pieces of the company by cataloging and selling off inventory and equipment. She told me that as they were going through the purchasing records, they discovered that Linda was paying 3-4x the going rate for switches and pots. She was buying unsealed silver contact devices for more than the going rate for the gold contact sealed equivalents, and that she had purchased more inventories then could possibly utilize in a three year period. Quad Eight had become a dumping ground for substandard components.

The way this ties back to the demise of Quad Eight is that when management wanted to ramp up productions, the cost estimates for these new semi-production line console came back high and the decision was made to use more of the unsealed silver contact switches and pots. As these new consoles hit the market, the sound quality started to degrade and become noisy as the contacts in the audio chain started to corrode. It became harder to sell Quad Eight consoles because its reputation started to suffer, and we lost a lot of installations to Neve.

I don’t know whether Linda was incompetent or if she was padding her income with kickback from component suppliers. Either way the blame can’t be completely leveled at Linda because whoever was minding the store should have picked up the phone and probed some of the cost estimates. But the fact remains that one employee whose job was tangential to the main activity of this organization set a chain of events into motion that sullied the reputation and eventually destroy the company.

So to answer your question…These consoles sound great, but you’ll want to look out for the ones with the unsealed silver contacts on the switches and the pots…
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

My boss has one that is apparently older than that of the ebay auction, but still within the time of the new Mitsubishi/Quad Eight switchover,

It is a black/gray base but has an old vinyl woodish/chrome kinda trim and an separate ovular LED meter bridge,

The console has a internal patchbay...

The PCBs have the original quad eight etching on them, but a few boards have a paper Mitsubishi sticker on them.

The EQs sound nice and are very usuable..they look different than the ebay picts above, they are 4 band parametrics with dual concentric knobs.

The whole thing is IC based...

Right now it functions more as a table than a console..Mackie control and Nuendo see more work.
Old 8th December 2007
Here for the gear

Need more info on Westar/Q8

Hi-

A few years ago I picked up a Westar/Q8 (circa '88) as an add-on to a deal for a tape deck I was buying. The desk has been in storage due to its size and my lack of real estate.

I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. Whether to sell the board (I probably don't need it, given a tape to DAW setup), or salvage and rack up some components.

I have heard that the EQ's (these are the 4-band full parametric) are quite musical, akin to API's according to the former owner. The pre's also come out of the strip, but they look kind of generic, and I haven't heard anything special about them.

So... am I evil for considering popping these components out? I don't see a huge market for large format consoles out there, particularly for the less sexy ones with VCA automation, etc. Hell, I can't even lift the power supply, never mind carve out the months it would take me to re-wire the tuchel connectors.

Would it be worth racking up the EQ's? If I decided to sell the extras, what might be a ballpark asking price per channel, racked up and powered?

Question for joec: How does one distinguish between the silver and gold switches you refer to? They look like, well, switches to me. Any clues? The pots on the EQ's look sealed, for what it's worth. Stacked, square, light blue.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Old 17th December 2007
Here for the gear

Would love to see some pics of the aforementioned Westars. Don't know why but ever since I saw a pic of the Westar at recordingconsoles.net I was curious about the console. Some of them had very large footprints. A few of them had lofty pedigrees. Any other stories would be cool as well.

pat
Old 18th December 2007
Led
Lives for gear

There's a Coronado on evilbay at the moment. Whenever I see the name I think of "Canyonero".
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
There's a Coronado on evilbay at the moment. Whenever I see the name I think of "Canyonero".
12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
32 faders of American Pride!

Canyonero!

She blinds everybody with her LED metering beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, mixing machine!

Canyonero!
Old 11th March 2008
Lives for gear
I have a 52 channel Mitsubishi Westar Console, and it has served me well. It has been running for about 18 years now and still sounds great. OK, the costs of maintaining this peace of real estate made me think if it is wise to keep it around. I'm building a new studio on another location so if I'm gonna change my setup I'll have to do it now. Still it sounds great, automation? well I use PT for that now. I have read that someone would like to see it in real life, well, send me the money and I send you the best console I've ever owned...........

For pictures look at the old website http://www.studioscala.nl requires Java
Old 11th March 2008
Gear Maniac

amazing story JoeC, thanks

Linda sounds like she works for the government

still a good company is managed well top down, whoever she reported to must not have been very competent either
Old 12th March 2008
Here for the gear

quad eight

Hey! I am looking for parts for a westar console. Power supplies (working or not) channel strips, meters.

I have a westar, and it is mounted in a mobile recording truck.
also is there anyone who works on strips and meters?

[email protected]
Old 2nd December 2012
pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney View Post
Hey! I am looking for parts for a westar console. Power supplies (working or not) channel strips, meters.

I have a westar, and it is mounted in a mobile recording truck.
also is there anyone who works on strips and meters?

[email protected]
Hi! do you have the pinout information for the 82071 mic premps of this console?
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear
I might have them, I have to dig through the manuals but I can look.

I want all my EQ and preamps racked as well. There was a guy on ebay that had stunning boxes for them but he doesn't sell them seperately/empty.
Old 4th December 2012
EQ's on those things were stellar, surgical AND musical!
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear
Yes, I know and miss them very much. Can't wait to have a few of them racked up.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Any news on the schematics? I just got 2 82041 EQ modules from eBay for racking and the schematics would be very helpful.

(btw. if you're looking for parts, there's a guy at eBay right now selling westar EQs, preamps and limiters for a very good price, got the EQs for 99$ per unit, have seen them for more than thrice the price before).
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear
I've been a bit busy, I will see if I get a chance to dig up the schematics. If I forget PM me
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post
I've been a bit busy, I will see if I get a chance to dig up the schematics. If I forget PM me
That would be great, thanks
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

Hey guys, I just got a pair of those Westar EQ's from ebay too...great deal! I did some google searching and found somebody saying that the pin-out for the EQ is:

8B -18v
9B +18v
10B Audio Common
11A/B EQ Out
13A/B EQ In

I haven't checked to see if this is accurate, so the schematics would surely help me too.

Also, I was able to get a nice power supply kit from FiveFishStudios for not too much $$, although an old power-one or something like that could be used as well.
Old 11th August 2013
rack-mount

Hi!, I already rack-mounted the pre´s and eq´s, write me if you need the info.

Old 11th August 2013
Old 12th August 2013
Lives for gear

Used to be about 10 years ago you would see a Westar pop up for sale every so often. I think its been years since I've seen one listed. I wonder where they all went?
Old 12th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 View Post
Used to be about 10 years ago you would see a Westar pop up for sale every so often. I think its been years since I've seen one listed. I wonder where they all went?
Probably in landfills by now. I'm not sure it's possible to keep all those silver switches (30+ per channel) working. I'd be curious if anyone has had any luck in keeping one working. Nice sounding desks back in the day, it's a shame about the switches.
Old 27th March 2016
Here for the gear

Westar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 View Post

I have a 60 channel Westar not currently working, but working on it...

Last edited by iomegatee; 27th March 2016 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 6th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegatee View Post
I have a 60 channel Westar not currently working, but working on it...
I'm parting out a 36 channel Westar. Let me know if you need anything.
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Nut

Anyone got any EQ 82041 modules available.. for spares/repair.
Old 2nd September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
I worked for them for them from 1986-88. I was laid off when the company went belly up in ‘88.

The story of the demise of Mitsubishi Pro Audio Group/Quad Eight/Westrex is very instructive because it demonstrates that there are no unimportant jobs within an organization.

So to answer your question…These consoles sound great, but you’ll want to look out for the ones with the unsealed silver contacts on the switches and the pots…
Hey Joe, are you still around? I'd love to speak with you regarding these consoles, but you have no contact info on there...Please send me a PM. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search