The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx Aurora 16
Old 18th October 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
johnbohn's Avatar
 

Lynx Aurora 16

Has anybody used these? If so, how's the quality? Also, if you've used it with Pro Tools, how is the compatibility? Is it buggy with PT or is it pretty smooth?
Thanks
Old 18th October 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
barryjohns's Avatar
 

I have one. It works flawlessly with Protools HD. Protools see's it as (2) 192's. The sound is awesome, much better than Digi 192's.
Old 18th October 2007
  #3
Gear Head
 

And Also

It gives you 16 analog I/O and 16 digital I/O simultaneously.

Doesn't sound harsh or brittle

Great support ( I had a problem with a unit new out of the box and was taken care overnight )

Money well spent !
Old 18th October 2007
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
johnbohn's Avatar
 

Awesome. Does anybody know someone who has them in Nashville? I'd love to take a listen.
Old 18th October 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
crypticglobe ( GS member ) has got some auroras in his rig and I'm pretty sure he's in Nashville.
Old 18th October 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
just upgraded from a fireface 800. All I can say is WOW! smooth highs, bass and low mid clairity, wider. I think the fireface is a great box for the money but dam I wish I upgraded long ago. I'm using sonar 6.2.1. Arthur
Old 18th October 2007
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
vocomotion's Avatar
 

I replaced my Rosetta 800 with an Aurora 16 about 8 months ago and I'll never go back. The sounds is great, uncolored. And the number of ins/outs is REALLY nice.

--> freddie
Old 18th October 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Bob Yordan's Avatar
I have got one Aurora 16 and one Rosetta 800 in my mastering room.

Both are great and has slightly different sounds.

I bought the Aurora from a friend of mine that used 2 of them with PT.

Old 18th October 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
True North's Avatar
 

I own an Aurora 8 and an Aurora 16

They run a little hot but other than that they have been excellant , reliable convertors for me.

They are a very natural sounding convertor, more so than the Apogees (I have owned both)

I don't own PT but from what I remember PT ADC should work seemlessly with these units. You might want to give Lynx a call and see if they have any references you can speak with

Good luck
Old 18th October 2007
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
bonusroommusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I have one. It works flawlessly with Protools HD. Protools see's it as (2) 192's. The sound is awesome, much better than Digi 192's.

So I wouldn't need at lest one 192 in the chain?
Old 18th October 2007
  #11
jho
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusroommusic View Post
So I wouldn't need at lest one 192 in the chain?
+1 for the Aurora 16.

I upgraded from two Digi 192's to ONE Aurora 16. Love it. EBay'ed the two Digi's and had money to spare.

You don't need ANY digidesign interfaces in the chain. PT HD sees the A16 as TWO 192's... connects right to the HD card. it's a beautiful thing.

You do however need the Aurora LT-HD interface card though. That goes inside the A16 to make it HD compatible.
Old 18th October 2007
  #12
Gear Addict
 

Awesome piece!!!!!I love it. I clock my aurora 16 with the antelope ocx and the sound was really wide and big!!!!
Old 18th October 2007
  #13
Since I started using these in my studio, I can't tell you how many we've sold. It's been incredible. The Aurora's work flawlessly with PT|HD, identically mirror the Digi 192's in terms of latency and port for port operation and sound amazing.

You get 16x16 analog AND 16x16 AES/EBU digital i/o in a 1U rack unit with standard DSUB connections on the rear. It only takes a single DigiLink cable to connect the Aurora16 to your PT|HD system (you connect it to the CORE card) and you can add multiple Aurora16's to your system (1 per card, so if you have an HD|3 Accel you can have 3 Aurora16's for a total of 48x48 analog AND 48x48 AES/EBU digital).

I'm in Cleveland and anyone wishing to take a listen prior to making a purchase is more than welcome to come over and bring a PT7 session so you can really experience what this box brings to the table.
Old 18th October 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
crypticglobe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic View Post
crypticglobe ( GS member ) has got some auroras in his rig and I'm pretty sure he's in Nashville.
Yup... I got 3 of them. I have used them with Nuendo via AES-16 (lynx) and AES-32 (RME) cards and they worked perfectly. I have also used them with the LS-ADAT card, and the LS-HD card with Pro Tools HD. Flawless in every application.

The fact that they beat out the latest apogee 16x boxes in a blind test was huge for me too. That's why I got em.

And yes... I am in Nashville...
Old 18th October 2007
  #15
Mgr
Lives for gear
 
Mgr's Avatar
 

Awesome. Thx for feedback

Think will get one soon...

Old 18th October 2007
  #16
Gear Addict
 
dnaflr2's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Yup... I got 3 of them. I have used them with Nuendo via AES-16 (lynx) and AES-32 (RME) cards and they worked perfectly. I have also used them with the LS-ADAT card, and the LS-HD card with Pro Tools HD. Flawless in every application.

The fact that they beat out the latest apogee 16x boxes in a blind test was huge for me too. That's why I got em.

And yes... I am in Nashville...
Do you find the RME software interface is superior for routing, etc??
Old 18th October 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
crypticglobe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaflr2 View Post
Do you find the RME software interface is superior for routing, etc??
Yes, I do. The only thing I really like better about the Lynx card is that it only takes up one physical space. The RME card has a daughter card that does not require a PCI slot, but does take up a space.

The latency on the two (with RME's latest WDM drivers) is almost identical. The routing and overall functionality of the RME is still WAY better.

They do sound identical though and latency is about the same. I stuck with the Lynx AES cards simply because I needed 48 i/o and I just couldn't make the RME's fit in the computer properly with all the daughter cards.
Old 18th October 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 

I replaced 2 192's with an aurora 16 and I love it. It's really brilliant. I would not go back out of choice *but at the same time I could easily make records with 192's*

J
Old 18th October 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
kingneeraj's Avatar
 

i replaced my rosetta 800 with the aurora 16.... love it!
Old 18th October 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
dobz's Avatar
 

Hey guys has anyone had a chance to compare the aurora with the SSL alpha link?

Just interested to know how those SSL's go.
Cheers
Old 19th October 2007
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

Are you guys monitoring through the D/A on the Auroras? Impressions?
Old 19th October 2007
  #22
XLR
Gear Maniac
And I'd like to know how the Aurora compares to the Mytek.
In AD and in DA...
Did anyone compare?
Old 19th October 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrick19 View Post
Are you guys monitoring through the D/A on the Auroras? Impressions?
As good as the A/D.
Old 19th October 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
bobx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR View Post
And I'd like to know how the Aurora compares to the Mytek.
In AD and in DA...
Did anyone compare?
i'd like to know as well. i'm thinking about an upgrade. also, are any of you running the aurora with the firewire card into a PC? i'd like to know if they have been running solid.
Old 19th October 2007
  #25
Gear Head
 

Using the Aurora 16 clocked with a Big Ben.

Works great. No complaints at all. I prefer the sound over the Digi stuff.
Old 19th October 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
I have the aurora 16 with the LT-FW card. pretty freakin stable with my quad core intel p35 chipset and a bit more snappyer then the fireface drivers, however the ARC mixer has a bit to be desirerd but totaly usable. lynx says that new drivers with channel panning and such are in the works. the aurora converters are a big step up from the fireface 800. Arthur
Old 19th October 2007
  #27
Lives for gear
 
pixelhead's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Since I started using these in my studio, I can't tell you how many we've sold. It's been incredible. The Aurora's work flawlessly with PT|HD, identically mirror the Digi 192's in terms of latency and port for port operation and sound amazing.

You get 16x16 analog AND 16x16 AES/EBU digital i/o in a 1U rack unit with standard DSUB connections on the rear. It only takes a single DigiLink cable to connect the Aurora16 to your PT|HD system (you connect it to the CORE card) and you can add multiple Aurora16's to your system (1 per card, so if you have an HD|3 Accel you can have 3 Aurora16's for a total of 48x48 analog AND 48x48 AES/EBU digital).

I'm in Cleveland and anyone wishing to take a listen prior to making a purchase is more than welcome to come over and bring a PT7 session so you can really experience what this box brings to the table.
I was told you can connect 2 16's per HD card for a total of 32 ins and outs. Is this correct. I am concidering these with a new HD rig.

Thanks
Old 19th October 2007
  #28
Lives for gear
 
bobx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude24man View Post
I have the aurora 16 with the LT-FW card. pretty freakin stable with my quad core intel p35 chipset and a bit more snappyer then the fireface drivers, however the ARC mixer has a bit to be desirerd but totaly usable. lynx says that new drivers with channel panning and such are in the works. the aurora converters are a big step up from the fireface 800. Arthur
that's good to hear. i usually monitor through cubase anyway. the latency never seems to bother any of my clients. and i have enough native processing power to run at a fairly low buffer with my fireface. i think i may be taking the leap in the near future.
Old 9th November 2007
  #29
Mgr
Lives for gear
 
Mgr's Avatar
 

How is the Aurora doing with the PT 7.4 release ?
Old 9th November 2007
  #30
teo
Lives for gear
 
teo's Avatar
 

I was looking at the Aurora series as well, but there is one thing that got me confused.
Do you get to use the 16 analog I/O simultaneously?

I was looking at 1 Aurora 16 + 1 Aurora 8 to have 24 I/O with DigitalPerformer, but at some point I had the impression that they can only convert 16 channels at a time. Surely I must be wrong...right?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 17812
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 2 weeks ago
replies: 295 views: 58152
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 15929 views: 1485522
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 1296 views: 154995
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump