The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx Aurora 16
Old 18th December 2015
  #631
Just picked up an Aurora 16 for my mix room after many, many, many years of wanting one. The sound just works for me, I LOVE it. It sounds incredible and I know it'll be here with me for many years to come.

Except that I'm having problems. Does anybody else here experience pops and clicks with the unit? Especially at 96kHz, it's a problem sufficient that I can't print mixes with it. It's clocking internally, the Synchro Lock light is on all the time, no other digital pieces of gear in my room.

My system spec:
Mac Mini i7 16GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5
Lynx LT-FW card
Firmware Rev 28
Remote control version 1.0 Build 18i
Old 18th December 2015
  #632
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Just picked up an Aurora 16 for my mix room after many, many, many years of wanting one. The sound just works for me, I LOVE it. It sounds incredible and I know it'll be here with me for many years to come.

Except that I'm having problems. Does anybody else here experience pops and clicks with the unit? Especially at 96kHz, it's a problem sufficient that I can't print mixes with it. It's clocking internally, the Synchro Lock light is on all the time, no other digital pieces of gear in my room.

My system spec:
Mac Mini i7 16GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5
Lynx LT-FW card
Firmware Rev 28
Remote control version 1.0 Build 18i

Firefire never worked properly for me with the Aurora16. I switched to the Lynx AES16 cards - better, but still lot's of problems. Bought an RME AES-32 PCIe card next - has been working perfectly ever since.
Old 18th December 2015
  #633
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Just picked up an Aurora 16 for my mix room after many, many, many years of wanting one. The sound just works for me, I LOVE it. It sounds incredible and I know it'll be here with me for many years to come.

Except that I'm having problems. Does anybody else here experience pops and clicks with the unit? Especially at 96kHz, it's a problem sufficient that I can't print mixes with it. It's clocking internally, the Synchro Lock light is on all the time, no other digital pieces of gear in my room.

My system spec:
Mac Mini i7 16GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5
Lynx LT-FW card
Firmware Rev 28
Remote control version 1.0 Build 18i
I just bought one too (LT-HD), no problems here, but when I had questions the support has always been very responsive, try to contact them
Old 18th December 2015
  #634
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante View Post
I just bought one too (LT-HD), no problems here, but when I had questions the support has always been very responsive, try to contact them
Yes, Lynx has always been a great help with any issues, which have been very few. We have 3 x Aurora 16 and have enjoyed them for years.
Old 18th December 2015
  #635
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
Yes, Lynx has always been a great help with any issues, which have been very few. We have 3 x Aurora 16 and have enjoyed them for years.
Raal since you had many units for a long time, do you need some kind of a cooling system because I noticed they heat up quite a bit
Old 18th December 2015
  #636
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante View Post
Raal since you had many units for a long time, do you need some kind of a cooling system because I noticed they heat up quite a bit
Just make sure there's a free rack space above and below each unit and you should be fine. The Auroras have been very reliable for us through the years.

They may not be the new kid on the block but IFO, particularly enjoy their transparent sound. We still use a good amount of hardware over here and for 'total' recalls we just print the tracks along with any inserts back into PT when the mix is done. That way we don't have to worry about missing a particular box or plug-in when recalling in the future. No one over here has been able to tell the difference between the 'live' mix and the printed tracks with outboard compression, verbs, Pultecs or whatever, so that system has certainly worked for us. I hope this long winded answer is of some help to you.
Old 18th December 2015
  #637
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante View Post
Raal since you had many units for a long time, do you need some kind of a cooling system because I noticed they heat up quite a bit
Just make sure there's a free rack space above and below each unit and you should be fine. The Auroras have been very reliable for us through the years - no additional cooling system over here.

They may not be the new kid on the block but IFO, particularly enjoy their transparent sound. We still use a good amount of hardware and for 'total' recalls we just print the tracks along with any inserts back into PT when the mix is done. That way we don't have to worry about missing a particular box or plug-in when recalling in the future. So far, no one has been able to tell the difference between the 'live' mix and the printed tracks with outboard compression, verbs, Pultecs or whatever. I hope this long winded answer is of some help.
Old 18th December 2015
  #638
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Firefire never worked properly for me with the Aurora16. I switched to the Lynx AES16 cards - better, but still lot's of problems. Bought an RME AES-32 PCIe card next - has been working perfectly ever since.
Lynx don't even list the LT-FW card anymore. Tells you something.

Not sure if Lynx is to blame though (fully at least) since there seems to be problems generally with FW. If the chipset in the computer is funky there's not much you can do about it with external gear I guess.
Old 18th December 2015
  #639
Lives for gear
 
Deuce 225's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Just picked up an Aurora 16 for my mix room after many, many, many years of wanting one. The sound just works for me, I LOVE it. It sounds incredible and I know it'll be here with me for many years to come.

Except that I'm having problems. Does anybody else here experience pops and clicks with the unit? Especially at 96kHz, it's a problem sufficient that I can't print mixes with it. It's clocking internally, the Synchro Lock light is on all the time, no other digital pieces of gear in my room.

My system spec:
Mac Mini i7 16GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5
Lynx LT-FW card
Firmware Rev 28
Remote control version 1.0 Build 18i
We had the exact same trouble running the Lynx Firewire with Protools 9. You didn't say which DAW you were using. We found that we could get some relief by adjusting the buffer size or by reducing to 44/24. Ultimately, we switched to a MADI interface which was rock solid before we upgraded to our current HD rig.
Hope this helps,
Tim
Old 19th December 2015
  #640
Lives for gear
 
antichef's Avatar
I've been using an Aurora 16 with USB for years, usually at 96k, and I don't think I ever heard one click or pop that could be attributed to it. I just switched to thunderbolt, and so far so good. I did hear a bunch of concerns about the firewire interface and that's why I went with USB way back when.
Old 20th December 2015
  #641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 View Post
We had the exact same trouble running the Lynx Firewire with Protools 9. You didn't say which DAW you were using. We found that we could get some relief by adjusting the buffer size or by reducing to 44/24. Ultimately, we switched to a MADI interface which was rock solid before we upgraded to our current HD rig.
Hope this helps,
Tim
I'm running Pro Tools 10, but interestingly I'm also hearing it just on playback from iTunes. Shame the Thunderbolt card is £450. That's pretty steep just to get my converter to work as it's supposed to to.
Old 20th December 2015
  #642
Lives for gear
 
TheOxmyn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I'm running Pro Tools 10, but interestingly I'm also hearing it just on playback from iTunes. Shame the Thunderbolt card is £450. That's pretty steep just to get my converter to work as it's supposed to to.
LT-TB is worth it. It is stable & with new driver you can lower the buffer.
Old 21st December 2015
  #643
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 

I bought the Lynx with the firewire card when it first came out. It never worked well here. Neither hex core Mac or Windows 7 liked it at all.

I've been using the HD card with PTHD Native for years now with no problems at all.

Great support from the company in the way of updated drivers, etc.
Old 27th December 2016
  #644
Here for the gear
 

Question:

I have a Lynx Aurora 16 with TB card installed. Upgraded from a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Trying to figure out exactly how to use their software mixer and how to connect to my various headphone amps for my individual players. My Pro 40 was easy in that regard and I had 5 mixes. I do not have an external mixing board. Trying to do it all in software land.
Old 28th December 2016
  #645
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdroompro View Post
Question:

I have a Lynx with TB card installed. Upgraded from a . Trying to figure out exactly how to use their software mixer and how to connect to my various headphone amps for my individual players. My Pro 40 was easy in that regard and I had 5 mixes. I do not have an external mixing board. Trying to do it all in software land.
This isn't really the right product for what you're doing.

Aurora can be extended in a number of directions, but on a basic design level, it was never intended to be an all-in-one interface.

Also, your cue mixes really don't require mastering-grade DAC.

JSL
Old 28th December 2016
  #646
Gear Head
 
broken head's Avatar
 

this video will show how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1IEYT6B_Rc&t=688s
Old 31st March 2020
  #647
Gear Addict
 
Basslik's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Yup... I got 3 of them. I have used them with Nuendo via AES-16 (lynx) and AES-32 (RME) cards and they worked perfectly. I have also used them with the LS-ADAT card, and the LS-HD card with Pro Tools HD. Flawless in every application.

The fact that they beat out the latest apogee 16x boxes in a blind test was huge for me too. That's why I got em.

And yes... I am in Nashville...
Good day,

I'm running PT9 still, getting ready to buy a Aurora 16, with a AES16e card, will PT see the AES card?

thank you.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 17384
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 1 week ago
replies: 295 views: 57187
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 15929 views: 1484427
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 1296 views: 154131
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump