The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good Pro audio stores in London???
Old 18th February 2008
Here for the gear

Getting any decent service in Central London is really an uphill battle (IMO). Moved to London 18+ months ago, and really hit the pavement hard around Tottenham Court Rd and spent scary amounts.

Sound Control: They have a lot of mainline stuff, and on occaision you might get someone marginally helpful. They are not the cheapest in town, and keep in mind, they are only interested in a sale!!! (I can't trust people like that).

DV: Competatively priced but basically a online shop in my experience. I gave up on them, as they just never have anything on hand (West London). If you buy from them ring first, order it and weight a couple of weeks...thats is going to be the procedure.

Turnkey: Done most of my shopping here as it is often the cheapest and there are some deals to be had. The service often is appalling, but they at least have a reasonable available stock catalog. Like others have mentioned, I am in the process of striking them from my list. Just not a pleasant experience. Alternatives are sort???

For the first time it is the shops that are inspiring me to save money, and not spend it!!!

I am pissed that i was in NYC recently and didn't spend up big there and cart it home on the plane! That would have been a better option and likely much cheape!!!

Just keep some of the criticisms in mind, and see how you go.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

For those still interested, SoundControl went bust . . .
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

As a Londoner, I have to agree... generally useless :|

I have to ask though - do people still end up saving, even when paying import customs charges from places such as the US?

Any advice would be appreciated...
Old 5th August 2008
rlg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
I have to ask though - do people still end up saving, even when paying import customs charges from places such as the US?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's not too hard to do the math yourself on whatever you're interested in. Your biggest savings will be if you go to the States yourself and bring something back on the plane.

With that said, I've bought gear and instruments in London, and I've had gear shipped here from places like Mercenary + paid the VAT and customs duties. An important consideration is that if you need warranty service on anything, you'll have to ship it back to the States, usually at your expense.
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modusvivendiuk View Post
Sound Tools Ltd - The Home of Professional Audio Equipment

Never bot from them,somehow i trust them. Gonna buy soon...
I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with this guy.
Old 12th March 2009
66z
Gear Head

The only place I managed to organize audition is Funky Junk and that was a very nice experience -- highly recommended!

Currently I'm trying to find somewhere I could have a listen to Focal Solo 6 BE.. Seemingly only DV and KMR carries them here in London and I'm awaiting for the replies from both.
Old 14th March 2009
Here for the gear

New Pro Audio Store

You're all forgetting about a brand new pro audio store that's opened up.

London Pro Audio Centre. it's on denmark street. Have a wide range of stuff and lots of it on display for ultimate playage.

Staff all seems pretty cool and helpful and informative too which is a rare.

tel: 0207 836 8648

Hope this is helpful to you all.
Old 14th March 2009
Lives for gear

Is this another offshoot off the MusicGround/Denmark St mafia? No bad thing if it is, but would be good to know if its origins.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear
We've just opened up a showroom on Brommel's Road, just off Clapham Common

London Music Showroom | Red Dog Music
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Studio Xchange is great! I Buy from them all of the time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search