The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
eventide H3000 D/SE vs. H3500 Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Well I was there.
Wanted to primarily address the post stating that development was occouring ten years after the fact. (where the f--k are the emoticons ?)
Also although many believe that there were hardware differences my a priori knowledge contradicts this other than regarding the very early (black/yellow) units. Again someone else might have a longer memory than I who also 'was present' prior to my tenure.
sdg
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Yes LastByte good post, but seating chips for a particular configuration is not the same as product development which ended early 90's not early 2000's. Also I am an extemely slow typist your post was not here when I began my retort... So seriously where are the f-ing emoticons? Is it because I am on an ipad?
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Ok.....Got what your saying, basically that although the D/SX and D/SE or D/FX-S were still really just all Filled with Algo's from the 1995 period, it was the Eventide Mass Production of the H3000 D/SX, D/SE and DFX that ended up selling basically at knockdown get out of town pricing from 1999-2001. As I know in the UK they were still being sold into 2002 even though the Models and Algo's had long since been surpassed (As in Mod factory into the DSP/GTR4000 which had Vsig for Windows series) by the 1995 DSP4000/GTR4000 and then ultimately in 1999/2001 by the DSP4500 which was the full boat all inclusive of PCMCIA cards, Sampling, AES and RS232 etc. IS that what your getting at? Why the need for Emotions into Emotocons as I'm pretty sure we are speaking the same English, perhaps a different accent though it's not like we need an interpreter or anything!

TLB
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Wow....great Tip in upping a units Specs..though...your hearing must peak really well. In my hearing (and scope) the H3000's old rated 5-20kHz SNR falls as it's scoped at around 30Hz - to 15 or 17kHz max in mine, (Dependant on Algo and source going into unit though in reality).

I've never used a Black Face model save for Rental and in other Studios, though having said that, when mixed I can't hear the minutia in parts and tolerances your discussing (Unless it's a solo part in a track etc).

So usually just like an H3000 or 949 and the PCM-60 or 70 as long as they are working at not noisy, I tend to leave them well..... alone, as part of the charm of these older FX units and Reverbs to me imho is their sound and the grit that has added up in time, even in the DBX companding 949 and the crusty old 910!

Then again, others are different and we all hear things differently so maybe the clarity of the Algorithm is what your trying to get at, and when I look for that...It's that kind of purity that often leads me to the sanitised Plug In Version (Especially w/ Eventide and the H3000 Bundle) that do the more Clinical examples leaving all those dirty leaky Caps and various dry joints alongside clapped out and down and dirty odds and ends far away!

I'd loathe my H3000 to sound like an Eclipse or an H8000 etc as the convertor technology is often just to high, making the sounds and Algo's more clinical, great if your doing a 16 Trk Analog 2" track w/ 30 year Console etc..though it's great to know people are digging in and finding the possible problem factors that could kill off these older units! Thanks for the Tips!

Kind Regards
TheLastByte
I agree with you. The least thing I would like to have is a clinical sounding outboard device. Exchanging the tantalum input caps with pp ones cleans the sound up a bit but will not make it sound clinical in any way. If you do so, you have to install the film caps on the underside of the PCB because they will be much bigger than the small tantalum ones on top of the board. I did this along with a psu recap. I should have a photo somewhere. If i find it I can upload it here to give an idea.
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was pretty sure, that the early BF H3000's also had the Tape Transport Mod so they could be hooked up to certain ATR's from Ampex, MCI-Sony & Studer etc for the Time Compression and the Tape Speed functions that were initially implemented before the Sample Dram boards became available by Eventide (as they used their own proprietary Ram Chips) on a Sampling HS322 board to do inside Sampling of the Time Compression which again was made ultimately redundant due to massive surge of Prolific Samplers at a much lower price point then an H3000 was such as the S1100 by Akai which had Stereo Phase Locked functions, alongside other early tricks like the EIIX by E-Mu Systems. Operational Manuals have this scenario, though service manuals later seemed to delete this option for flying in time compression to the H3000 as with the RS422 and SMPTE coded 2400/1200 by Lexicon.

TheLastByte

The tape transport board was part of the H3000B versions.
It always needed one of the sampler boards, as this was the way the samples were stored.

Later Eventide offered the choice to have the H3000B preset software only, so without the tape controller board.
That also being a less expensive option for people not needing a sampler board but only the other Broadcast presets.
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok.....Got what your saying, basically that although the D/SX and D/SE or D/FX-S were still really just all Filled with Algo's from the 1995 period, it was the Eventide Mass Production of the H3000 D/SX, D/SE and DFX that ended up selling basically at knockdown get out of town pricing from 1999-2001. As I know in the UK they were still being sold into 2002 even though the Models and Algo's had long since been surpassed (As in Mod factory into the DSP/GTR4000 which had Vsig for Windows series) by the 1995 DSP4000/GTR4000 and then ultimately in 1999/2001 by the DSP4500 which was the full boat all inclusive of PCMCIA cards, Sampling, AES and RS232 etc. IS that what your getting at? Why the need for Emotions into Emotocons as I'm pretty sure we are speaking the same English, perhaps a different accent though it's not like we need an interpreter or anything!

TLB
Yeah pretty much.
3000's were sold until parts were unobtainuim.
At a certain point they wanted to put that baby to bed.
Not sure of 'mass production' implications. They built what they could build/sell and closed that chapter.
Development ended with starting 4000 development so early 90's 93-ish...
4000 series ended with starting Orville development so 97-ish...
4500 was repackaging as opposed to development and like the 3500 offering all series-available-options under one faceplate.

Emoticons... well there they are to my right - were not here last few posts how odd...
Not aimed to you, I wondered where the hell they were... wanted to stick my toung out at others.
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
The tape transport board was part of the H3000B versions.
It always needed one of the sampler boards, as this was the way the samples were stored.

Later Eventide offered the choice to have the H3000B preset software only, so without the tape controller board.
That also being a less expensive option for people not needing a sampler board but only the other Broadcast presets.
I pretty much remember the Capstan Control and a type sensing PLL and the big Metal that stuck out of the early BF Models, B would make sense, though the HS322 sampler board, I don't remember as being an initial part of the H3000 BF or 3000/B as I kind of do remember a certain Time/Comp preset that used just the Varispeed of Tape and the Pitch Shifting....long time ago though so I'm most likely rusty in that thought. It was always in my country the Radio Stations that used the H3000/B and the 2400 TCF was used by TV? Why......Cost I imagine, they were just so very expensive here and that was just after the Stock Market Crash around 1987/88 etc. x 3 the USA Pricing! Near $7000.00 Bucks IIRC, USA grey imports were literally 90% of the H3000's here.

Thanks to all for filling in the Gaps!

Thank you SP2016 for the Info though, it explains a lot forgotten in my own grey internal Dram Human MEO board!
Regards
TheLastByte
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

"I pretty much remember the Capstan Control and a type sensing PLL and the big Metal that stuck out of the early BF Models"

The big metal that stuck out of every H3000 version was the cooling sink.
The capstan control only used a 1/4" jack and that did not stuck out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search