The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Remastered much worse than the original! 500 Series Chassis
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Add another one: "Hard Workin' Man, The Jack Nitzsche Story Vol 2". It takes some doing to turn some of the greatest music ever recorded into absolutely unlistenable ****. Congratulations to whoever did the abortion job on that one. Bloody hell.
Old 11th November 2009
MsM
Gear Nut

Music? I thought all popular music was muzac these days, sonic wallpaper, audio Prozac. Dynamics? Who would want the wallpaper to catch any attention? Or have it drown occasionally in other noises? Heaven forbid! Better be "binary", on or off, with a "practical" level. And you still want to hear the treble on those PC speakers, so you better "master" it agressive.

Looking at imported CD tracks in the DAW these days show a depressing picture, I'm wondering how long it will take before the average level is ABOVE the peaks ...

Now, remind me why I don't buy much music anymore? And definitely not remastered stuff? (Actually, the new Beatles stero remasters I've bought may show some light in the end of the tunnel, but probably it's only the headlights of the REMASTERING TRAIN coming to run us down again )

Now, classical music, and various other genres haven't been hit so bad yet, it seems. ME's do you hear me? NEW BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES! thumbsup
Old 11th November 2009
its is like going to a restaurant for a five course meal and every course is spicy. If that happens to me I just dont go back.
I wont buy re-mastered CD,s and hardly ever listen to the radio anymore. Too fatiguing. Listening to music is supposed to be enjoyable.

hmmmm when is the last time I bought some new music? I hardly ever do that. I love having to turn music up to hear it loud. Thats always been the best thing about a volume knob!! What I hate is putting in a CD and having to turn it down and then off because I cant stand to hear it.

its more fun to spend my hard earned money on making my own music and listen to that.

I agree its the client or artist that facilitates this by asking for it. The ME or engineer does it or they lose the job.

The only way to stop it is as customers to stop buying it. Demand what you want.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I'm out for ME blood now.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

YES WE WANT BLOOD !!!!

More seriously i'm wondering what the music will be in the future when an entire generation has grown up with MP3, iPOd and, at best, bad remastered CDs...

How will be the ears of thousands of thousands teenagers that only listened to overcompressed pop music through MP3 players for years ?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Consider avoiding the Axis Bold as Love re-master...
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiechicken4414 View Post
YES WE WANT BLOOD !!!!

More seriously i'm wondering what the music will be in the future when an entire generation has grown up with MP3, iPOd and, at best, bad remastered CDs...

How will be the ears of thousands of thousands teenagers that only listened to overcompressed pop music through MP3 players for years ?
I won't care, neither should you. They will all have severe hearing damage from those I buds and will not buy nor listen to music when they get older and lose their hearing.

Maybe we can change Gen Z as X and Y are deaf now. Two generations now must be written off.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Other re master mess ups...

Ha ha, I have a story, I was shown a few re masters where things could not have gone worse, first prize went to a very famous french bands CD (Icant remember the name or pronounce or spell it). The remaster had a Let Right SWAP... I mean for ****s sake isnt panning an important decision?? Maybe someone who knows about this will chime in.

Next prize wen to a Led Zep CD, where the remaster got the squeaky kick pedal on (since i been loving you) so loud its rediculous, I had to go listen to the older version (and yes the squeak is present but not overbearing) and I also felt like Maxx Bass was used badly...

Third went to a Australian Compilation CD where the entire CD followed the sonic signature of the first track (Rock, ACDC inspired, lots of lows not very many highs but screams and solos) well the next few tracks contained songs like land down which sounded like a squashed mess with the highs completely taken out, maybe a roll off from 11 Khz (slight roll off, but when compared to original is sounded like a distinct part of the sound was just rolled off...

I wonder what the Beatles sound like re mastered now... Or Frank Zappa...

Suda
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
They will all have severe hearing damage from those I buds and will not buy nor listen to music when they get older and lose their hearing.

Maybe we can change Gen Z as X and Y are deaf now. Two generations now must be written off.
I hear you and I am on your side. But again I think that a distinction has to be made about BS or GS reality, perceived reality and your own reality.

Most 17 teen year olds don't walk around with ear buds blazing. At least mine doesn't. Kids aren't that stupid. My kids listen to everything from motown to heavy stuff or whatever, but blood is not coming out of their ears and they are not losing their hearing.

There is a threshold of pain around 95 - 100 db that most people do not even get close to for extended periods of time. It hurts.

Quote:
We must humiliate every bad ME and mastering house, and every producer that requires/allows such damage to occur. We must shame these people and do it in public. We need to make jokes about them and keep it up until they realize what they are doing is not cool and they will feel embarassed about it to the point where they will stop.
You would also have to call out mix engineers too, and start at the top. All the top dog Mix engineers, ME's, Producers, Artist, A&R etc.

It will fall on deaf ears. It's art. People will do what they want and not be controlled.

If someone wants ****ty sounding stuff they got it. If they want good sounding stuff they got that to.
It's like trying to tell some one how much over drive they can put on a Marshall.

There's some stuff that gets over the edge, but there's also alot of good sounding records out there. I listen to everyday.

That's how it's always been.

Back on topic. Kind of Blue. great re-master.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I believe that classic albums need only a simple "re-digitization" from original masters.
I mean, a simple pass through a modern converter could be all that's needed.
And a bonus data disk with 24bit 96kHz files would be great, too
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict
Yes, flat (minimal or no EQ) and uncompressed transfers utilizing today’s better converters is all that should be done.

Almost everything remastered theses days is worse than the original CD. Excessive compression/loudness aside, I find the mix on remastered CDs to often sound different from the vinyl or original CD version. For example, I’ve notice synths, strings, cymbals and backing vocals to sound higher in the mix on some stuff because of the upper frequency boost in most remasters today. I no longer purchase remastered CDs unless I can confirm beforehand that it is not messed with (or unless it is on a label such as Mobile Fidelity)
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
You would also have to call out mix engineers too, and start at the top. All the top dog Mix engineers, ME's, Producers, Artist, A&R etc.
It will fall on deaf ears. It's art. People will do what they want and not be controlled.
But they do want to be loved and appreciated, that's human nature. I would imagine eventually they would tire of being called out, people coming up to them to say you suck and just humiliating them on every possible level. They would tire of that and would respond to regain the love and adoration they seek.

Don't buy their crap and tell them why. If you run into them, shock them. Don't give them back slaps, tell them they suck. Tell them why they suck. Tell the record companies they suck, tell the press, spread it around.

Tell them we're mad as hell and won't take it anymore. If 15% sales drops each year don't send that message clearly enough, spell it out for them, it's fun and you will feel better in the morning. Feel empowered, you are.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

When the ZZ Top sixpack first came out in the late 80's or early 90's (can't exactly remember) they "so called" remastered the 70's stuff and added reverb and re-amped the guitars and made a big mess of it (IMO). Then later they remastered again (05?) and made the CD's sound right.

Daniel
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

It's got to the point when I'm actually frightened of buying new "remasters", and end up looking for "vintage" CDs of stuff I want. How ****ing sad is that?
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I've been listening to the Beatles remasters and do like them. I certainly don't like all remastered music, but I am hearing things I swear I never noticed and really liking hearing the beatles records again.....for the first time. I see the quailty in both remastered and original in this case.

Scott Franson
Home
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

After getting mad at every single buy, I just quit buying CDs. At least anything done in the last 10 years.

Remasters are a scam. Would you a buy rotten fruit? Current CDs (except for classical and jazz), are simply rotten. I'm not surprised people download mp3 at pirate websites. Why pay for rotten products? Rotten stuff is free.

Nobody buys music anymore. And for the few who buy, they/we are scammed with this sort of rubbish. We need a revolution. We need Bono the Mesiah in here to show up worldwide and shout: STOP BUYING CDs, because they sounds RUBBISH. Demand quality back!

We need to seriously raise awarenes on this matter. I've thought about something like a simultaneous article published the same weekend in the NY Times, Le Monde, The Times, Frankfurter Allgemeine, Corriere della Sera...etc, to report and condemn the current situation (I know this is daydreaming, as Label shareholders control papers as well).

On my part, I'm trying to convince a few local politicians, members of the European Parlament, to take this to a session SERIOUSLY.

What would you say if everybody ate nothing but burgers and chips instead of proper food?. Oh, wait a minute...
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict
maybe we should be applauding those that are doing excellent mastering/remastering work as well as (or instead of) humiliating those that are doing terrible work. I started another thread a while back entitled "great sounding recent mastering/remastering" which I was hoping would do just that, but it seems as though there are so few great sounding recent releases to cite as examples
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

I've also been extremely disappointed with a few "remastered" cd's in recent years. I seem to remember some Hendrix album beeing the worst offender, it was simply so poorly done I couldn't even listen through the first minute of the first track. I mean it's HENDRIX for crying out loud - where is the sense of respect? Who do these guys think they are?

Remastering is similar to plastic surgery. In some cases it is needed. More often it ends in ugly tragedy.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Why major record companies seem to think since the end of the 80s that we need overcompressed music with much more highs and lows and no mids at all ?

Why every producer seems to think that we LOVE that sound in which all instruments and voices are like all in a row ready to jump from your speakers ?

Do they really listen to the records they produce or what ?

Are A&R men threating them with a gun ?

"Do the f...in' loudest record you can, man ! I want only highs and LOOOOOWS.
No mids, no depth. Only the BIGGEST SOUND you can produce. Music ? What's that **** ? What are you talking about man ?"
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

they did a pretty decent job digitally remastering this:

YouTube - Christopher Cross - Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

EXCELLENT !!! EXCELLENT !!!
I call Clive Davis right away !
He gotta know this guy !
heh
Old 30th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainj View Post
maybe we should be applauding those that are doing excellent mastering/remastering work as well as (or instead of) humiliating those that are doing terrible work. I started another thread a while back entitled "great sounding recent mastering/remastering" which I was hoping would do just that, but it seems as though there are so few great sounding recent releases to cite as examples
I just posted this in the Mastering Forum as well:

Has anyone else here heard the most recent Bowie remasters (2015)?

I've ordered the Five Years box but it hasn't arrived yet so I'm only going on what I can tell from Spotify.

Previous versions have often been disappointing to me but IMO these are finally sounding really good!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search