The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API Side Car Question
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Head

API Side Car Question

Ok so I have done a few records on this API side car and its like an old one with the Mic Pres built right into the side car and then spaces up top for API modules. Is this pre a 312 in there or is this an inferior design. I just dont feel like I am getting the API sound I am used to.
Old 11th November 2002
member no 666

For the moment, I'm going to assume that you're talking about a 1604 or similar... which generally sound pretty good if you perform regular and routine maintenance... so, my question to you is whether or not this thing has seen new electrolytic capacitors since the Carter Administration? If not, it's due.
Old 11th November 2002
I've been doing a bit of delving in to Api consoles recently. I think what Fletcher says is probably right.
The only two things I can add is that the 554 eq is not supposed to be that great (if your sidecar was populated with 554 alone) and the 544 is a broadcsast mic pre...(you didn't say what the input modules were) not that it should effect the sound quality.
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Head

It is a 1604 so how do I politly say to the studio that after doing a direct A/B to my vintage API 312 pres they dont sound even near as close on the bottom end? They just seem a lot thinner.
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannon Fo So
It is a 1604 so how do I politly say to the studio that after doing a direct A/B to my vintage API 312 pres they dont sound even near as close on the bottom end? They just seem a lot thinner.
"I think your API might need some maintenance. They don't seem to have the same sound. I thought you might want to know."

Make sure they know you're trying to help, not bitching.
tut
Old 12th November 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannon Fo So
How about going to the studio owner or studio manager and try saying: "after doing a direct A/B to my vintage API 312 pres they dont sound even near as close on the bottom end? They just seem a lot thinner."

Seems like a good approach to me... YMMV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search