The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 1073 OR AMS 1073? Equalisers (HW)
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Addict

BAE 1073 OR AMS 1073?

im wanting to bye a 1073 have tryed the ams neve but im hearing the bae 1073 is identical but alot less money is this true?
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

same question here!
Old 2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

i say bae... they sound great
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear
Mark at BA said that the BA's are made with the same parts as the vintage Neves...who knows, but I think I'm going to try one of the Averills out...they are half the price as the AMS-Neve REISSUES...yes reissues...
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

you'd be very hard pressed to knit-pick the differences between new neve vs old neve vs bae.

It is definitely not worth the extra dough, trust me
Old 22nd February 2010
If Money isn't an issue!?

Dear Slutz,
It is my finding that the BAE pieces really do shine next to AMS/Neve 1073's.
I have loved the Ten Series modules since I began hearing them in use, 15 years ago.
If money isn't an issue, the vintage(Real) Neve modules are great, if they are tech'd up.
The AMS and BAE both sound amazing.
Any recording would benefit from using these preamps.
For the price, the sonic and strong build of BAE gets my vote.
If I were just out of Audio School/University and looking to start my outboard collection, or starting a studio etc, the BAE's price difference leaves room to get more stuff.
(Since money/value is a real issue!)
I like companies I can reach by phone as well, when and if I have tech questions...
BAE is great on this level too.
Frenchie
Old 22nd February 2010
Lives for gear

This is coming from somoene who actually owned both the AMS and the BAE 1073. I sold the AMS and got the BAE (you can read my past posts to prove this as I sold the AMS here on GS and then posted my thoughts after I got the BAE).

In short, to my ears the BAE is the real deal just like the AMS is the real deal. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought the BAE the first time around.

So in short, if you ask me, someone who actually made the switch, the answer is yes. Also, [email protected] has been awesome, easy to reach via email and has helped me out a couple of times over the years with questions about my BAE. I never had to deal with AMS Neve support but from the comments of people here who have, let's just say you're not going to get the same experience as dealing with Mark.
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

love my bae 1073! thumbsup
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear Head

BAE 1073 awesome!
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

I could be wrong, but I have heard that BAE is not Averill. Not the same people, designs, parts, place, etc.

Not that I am saying in any way that this is bad.

I have used Averill over the years and it KILLS on everything! I have not used a BAE product yet.
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post

you'd be very hard pressed to knit-pick the differences between new neve vs old neve vs bae....
Agreed.

Take ten vintage 1073s and none of them sound exactly the same anyway. The new AMS Neve and BAE fall within that range. Take a few vintage ones, a new AMS and new BAE, compare them all and you would not find one that falls way outside the range of the rest. If anything, a vintage one might stick out as sounding very different if it's unhealthy as many old units are. I gave up on old vintage units for this reason.

The BAE, considering it's not an actual "Neve", is incredibly impressive and really captures all the excellence of the "originals". Really outstanding stuff.

I have both the AMS and BAE, both get used equally, both are keepers. They both live up to the hype, both are very authentic in terms of the "original" 1073 sound / character, and both totally get the job done. You can't go wrong with either.

The BAE indeed offers better value if you are looking to save a few bucks, as long as you can live without the actual "Neve" name badge in your rack.

I have gotten excellent products and excellent service from Brent Averill Enterprises (BAE) over the past ten years, the products and service seems just as excellent now as it did back in 2000 or so. Always top-notch.
Old 24th February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Device View Post
I could be wrong, but I have heard that BAE is not Averill. Not the same people, designs, parts, place, etc.

Not that I am saying in any way that this is bad.

I have used Averill over the years and it KILLS on everything! I have not used a BAE product yet.
BAE and Brent Averill Enterprises are the same company. Mark bought the company from Brent when he retired. Mark had been running the company for years beforehand.
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

are people just saying the BAE is better because of the sales price????

i'm wondering if the AMS and BAE sound the same, and if the only reason people prefer the BAE is due to the price?????

so, is it true that the extra $1k is just for the neve name????
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

i'm wondering if the AMS and BAE sound the same, and if the only reason people prefer the BAE is due to the price?????

That's the rumor.
Old 24th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I've been debating getting the BAE or the original Neve for a good 3 months now lol... I'll use this thread as a sign to get the BAE
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

I've owned both, an AMS Neve 1084, and a BAE 1023 (both based on the same pre, but differnt EQ.) Comparing them as two distinct preamps with disregard to whether or not they sound like vintage Neve units, yes, they sound different.

Both are excellent. The AMS Neve is brighter/more open, and has a slightly tighter bottom end. The BAE is slightly darker, thicker/bigger.

For me the BAE is a better fit for what I wanted, so I sold the AMS Neve. I can easily see how someone else would prefer the other.

For a likely pointless generality; if everything you track seems to be too dark, then I would give the nod to the AMS. If too bright then the BAE.

I do much prefer the EQ on the 1023 to the 1084 FWIW.

Having both wouldn't be a bad thing either.
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs View Post

....if everything you track seems to be too dark, then I would give the nod to the AMS. If too bright then the BAE....
If everything you record is too dark or too bright, then you should be looking at your source or recording techniques and / or microphone choice.

My point is, these units (AMS and BAE) have slight differences, but the differences are extremely subtle in comparison to other factors in the chain... thus no need to be worrying about it.

Another way to put it, instead of spending time and effort trying to determine whether to get an AMS or BAE, instead spend that time continuing to hone your craft, that will make a MUCH bigger difference in the end quality of your work. The subtle differences between an AMS and BAE mean nothing by comparison and will in no way have a negative effect on your work. If you have a great source and you know how to record it, you will get stellar results with either an AMS or BAE... and they'll impart the same classic "neve" sonic character... whatever other subtle difference may exist in the pres would essentially be unnoticeable during a recording project.

Another thing too... what I find funny sometimes are people who complain that certain pres or mics are slightly too bright or slightly too dark etc, meanwhile those same people are cranking TONS of eq all over the place in every mix they do anyway, regardless of the pres or mics used. And I have to admit, I still need to eq tracks too when doing thick, busy mixes... as you get better at recording you use less eq when mixing, but it seems there's always some eqs running anyway.

The point is, if one pre is ever so slightly brighter or darker than another, it really does not mean anything in the grand scheme of things because you will very likely be running an eq on that track at some point anyway. Chances are you'll be cutting or boosting up to 2db (or more) on almost any track in a thick mix, thus it does not matter if pre "A" is a quarter db hotter in the upper end than pre "B" for instance. Or, you will likely compensate automatically anyway when adjusting your microphone position.

In sum, just buy one and get back to recording. You won't have any regrets.
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

The ones I had in here were not THAT close in sound, and using different preamps as a means to an end is as equally valid (though less dramatic) as choosing a different microphone. The AMS Neve I had would accentuate certain strident sources, where the BAE would help tame those down a bit. To what degree is debatable, but that was my experiance.

[QUOTE=666666]If everything you record is too dark or too bright, then you should be looking at your source or recording techniques and / or microphone choice.

That really depend on what gear and room/treatment someone has available to them. If all you own is bright sounding gear, and your in a bright sounding room, your going to get brighter results. The inverse is also true. Having the gear match the source is always a good idea when it is an option. Yeah, you can compensate to some degree with different recording techniques, but that isn't really the ideal solution. If someone is in the market for one of these two pres and their existing chain, maybe even room, is all on the bright side, I would suggest the BAE as the better option.

Anyway, I didn't say it was a complete solution, just something to consider. I suppose I should have offered it only as a generality...
Old 24th February 2010
Gear Addict

- I agree...not a big deal either way....I tried both a/b and went with the AMS - slightly better sounding to me and the name/resale price made me spend the extra $$
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, you can compensate to some degree with different recording techniques, but that isn't really the ideal solution.
Yeah, why move a mic 1" when you can just spend another 4k on a preamp!
Old 24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Yeah, why move a mic 1" when you can just spend another 4k on a preamp!
Funny how you can lose the spirit of a post when you omit the preceding sentence.

"Having the gear match the source is always a good idea when it is an option."

Besides that, I was equally suggesting in the scenario from which you quoted that the cheaper pre could likely be a better option.

If English isn't your first language, then I understand your lack of comprehension. Otherwise, wow...
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Funny how you can lose the spirit of a post when you omit the preceding sentence.
Higgs, I'm sure the intention was not to chop you down, but to just make a general point.

As well with my recent response to one of your posts here, I wasn't trying to be argumentative, but just trying to raise yet another general point or two, looking at it from a different angle.

In sum, I'd say we all made valid points that are worth reading by the OP. There's truth in all of it.

Now hopefully the OP can commence with making a decision, buying a unit and getting on with his recording work.

Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

As mentioned before, they both sounded "right" to me, and I shot out my BAE 1073 against a real vintage 1073 and the BAE was dead on (if anything it probably sounded like what the vintage 1073 sounded like when it was brand new so it was better).

The AMS 1073 also sounds dead on imo. And I've owned both. So given that both sound dead on, and the BAE is much less expensive, and comes already racked with a power supply and DI, the BAE is a much better value imo. For the price of a AMS 1073, you can get a BAE 1073 and an 1176 reissue to go with it.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

If I had to pick between the two as is, stock. AMS. Sound wise , built wise BAE

This doesn't stop anyone from modifying these to sound like the original marinair modules.

Overall, I prefer the original modules or clones that are at the same specification down to the last capacitor and trannie.

My statement may be bold for some here. But there is no possible way that the AMS and BAE sound exaclty same. Nor does the BAE, AMS sound just like a Vintage Neve with Marinairs, motorola transitors and with the favored philips capacitors. They use different parts. However, both are great and will definitely do the job.
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

I'll tell you if you will tell me how come you used up all the question marks and now no one but you has any.
Old 25th February 2010
10 series modules

Dear Hiss,
I own a Vintage Neve 1066, an AMS 1073, bae 1084's, and bae 1272's.
The sonic is great on all of them.
The 1066 and 1272's record loud electric guitar perfectly.
The bae 1084, and ams 1073 are less coloured when used to record vocals.
I've had more vocalists comment that they prefer they sound of their voice when using the BAE's.
The vintage 1066's has it's fans too.
To each their own, everyone has their own taste.
I do believe tracking with BAE, vintage Neve, or Ams is pro.
I've looked inside all these modules when tech issues came up with my ams 1073.
The vintage 1066 and bae modules felt way more sturdy.
My AMS switches and knobs remind me of playing with an early 80's Star Wars toy!?!!
My Ams 1073 is my last Ams purchase.
I do love how my bae's sound, and I prefer the strong build.
Price means a lot to all of us, it's not the sole reason I'd rather use bae mods vs ams.
A lot of musicians are gear geeks, gear fans, like me.
So they like doing pre shoot outs.
Maybe this has something to do with Tape Op being popular?
Or that digi has made everyone a producer?
Either way, my musicians know and care about boutique and classic brands.
It all makes recording fun.
When I was first entering multitrack studios in 92 I didn't care about input chains!
I wanted my guitar loud in the mix!
All in all, if you have any pals in your city that own bae gear, ask them if they are still happy that their faceplate does not say Neve.
Best
Frenchie
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

thanks for that great answer frenchie!!!!!

very insightful and informative!!!!!!

i can't help but lean towards the BAE for many factors at this point.
Old 26th February 2010
Gear options

Dear Hiss,
and Slutz
I'd hope all the ctreative parties on here to simply get great pieces that they'd always love!
So you, and myself, could focus on the matter at hand.
Tunes!
Performances!
Vibe!
Did we get killer tracks today?
We used to have a GREAT company in Austin called, PRO AUDIO.
I guess they went away in 99?
At any time they'd have 5-10 killer vintage consoles for sale, analogue multitracks, pres, dynamics, mics.
You could audition louds of cool stuff.
I miss that terribly.
My north Austin Guitar Center pro audio manager(Dave) hustles to keep good pieces in stock.
I'd hope your city has a similar shop, or you have a local pal that has some 10 series mods you can hear?
Rock on pal.
Geez,
any of us bringing bae, ams, or vintage neve to our sessions are pro
Frenchie

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search