The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 1073 OR AMS 1073? Equalisers (HW)
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Maniac

I've used both and found that the Chandler LTD-1 was my favorite out of the bunch because it had a much tighter bottom end for recording drums and bass and the EQ was a lot more useable than the BAE or any other clone. The BAE gets way too smeared and transients get lost in the bottom end. The AMS was better, a lot better.

The problem I had with the BAE is that too many tracks recorded through it made me have to do some extreme eq in the low mids of all my tracks to get them sit together without having my mix sound muddy. The AMS did this too but not nearly as much as the BAE.
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
The yellow caps in the ams are Ero rodestein. Those are your closest remakes of the original Philip mustard caps. Bae and chandler use Panasonic film caps.For me, nothing beats the original mustard caps.To this day they are still sought after for even Marshall vintage amps.That is one reason why I believe these clones don't sound 100% identical to the original Neves.They are both great tools despite the parts being different from original neve marinair modules. I have no issues with ams switches or thin metal covers. For the modules. My sole complaint is there are no modern upgrades like a D.I.
Those caps cost virtually nothing compared to the retail price for those units.
Would really astonish me when BAE let theire product be declined by such a part and pay so much attention on quality elsewere
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huarez View Post
Those caps cost vitually nothing compared to the retail price for those units.
Would really astonish me when BAE let theire product be declined by such a part and pay so much attention on quality elsewere

Happens all the time. Crack open your gear. And you will see how many manufactures put some of the cheapest capacitors to cut cost/increase profit margin.

But if we are talking about a Neve Module remakes. IMHO. The best should be used, especially for the EQ caps. THERE is nothing wrong with the panasonics film caps or Ero rodensteins. They work for most users, I am just not one of them And.. they don't sound the same or as musical as the original mullard caps.

From internet chat... SOZO capacitors are mentioned to be the closest remakes of the mullard mustard caps. Now what would it be cool is if BAE or AMS used SOZO caps. That would be interesting. I never tried SOZO caps but hear they are good from its users.
Old 1st May 2010
Gear Maniac

My AMS Neve's have Nichicon HE's in them. Those are some of the best.
Old 3rd May 2010
Here for the gear

Ams neve is the actual design, i tested both and the ams neve has that sound i was looking for. The bae sounded good but its not the real thing.
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by levyproject View Post
Ams neve is the actual design, i tested both and the ams neve has that sound i was looking for. The bae sounded good but its not the real thing.
I agree that the AMS sound closest to the originals but personally I like the Chandler LTD-1 sound overall better. Tighter bottom end that works much better on bass and drums.

The LTD-1 EQ smokes the vintage Neve stuff too.
Old 18th September 2010
Here for the gear

tried AMS 1073 yesterday for my vox.. sounded twice bigger, thicker, punchier than avalon 737 sp. But for the price, planning to get BAE 1073 and may experiment 737 sp for that tube sound on compression and eq. Thx. for the input!
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

My BAE 1084 is definitely the best purchase I've made in the last few years. What a great sound. Don't regret selling my original 1073's a couple years ago. The extra frequency bands are really worth the price of admission.
Old 5th October 2010
Bae 1073 or ams 1073?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOSHIband.com
tried AMS 1073 yesterday for my vox.. sounded twice bigger, thicker, punchier than avalon 737 sp. But for the price, planning to get BAE 1073 and may experiment 737 sp for that tube sound on compression and eq. Thx. for the input!
Hi Koshband

I'm sure you'll love the BAE equally.
In lieu of using Avalon for tube EQ, try out the Mercury eq-p1 after your BAE.
None of this stuff is cheap!!
I think you'd love that chain for vocals.
Don't forget about everyone's pal, 1176
Best
Frenchie
Old 24th June 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone with experience of running a line signal (individual track or whole mix) through the BAE? Worth it?
Old 24th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Anyone with experience of running a line signal (individual track or whole mix) through the BAE? Worth it?

There's a mid bump on line input.
(I hear that anyways....)
If you start a mix with the BAE modules you'll dig it.
Works great for individual tracks for sure.
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie Smith View Post
There's a mid bump on line input.
(I hear that anyways....)
If you start a mix with the BAE modules you'll dig it.
Works great for individual tracks for sure.
Cool, thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search