The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSl Fx384 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 25th September 2007
SSl Fx384

i can get it for 3 grand is that i good price i have not heard it says good working order. 1998 model. Or should i get a alan smart c1? need answers please have one day to get it? casue i liked the g compresser xlogic but still it was not it.
Old 25th September 2007
It states its a 1998 model grey face
Old 25th September 2007
what would you do?
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

It's not a bad price, but I've seen them as low $2500.00
Old 25th September 2007
is it the better one or better get a alan c1?
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Saw that auction but steered clear due to the money order only requirement.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
is it the better one or better get a alan c1?
I would probably go for the SSL because I like sidechaining. The Smart C1 doesn't have a sidechain, but I also like dual mono which the C1 has of course. And if you do a search you'll that the pre 1999 SSL Gs are the most desired.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 25th September 2007
just it would be nice to also have a mono compressor
Old 25th September 2007
member no 666

I would have to recommend the Dramastic Audio "Obsidian". It does what a 384 can do but with far greater options [including a Hi Pass filter to the side chain that is accessible from the front panel], the "crush" and other groovy functions you find on the Smart unit plus a couple of other added tricks like both "auto release" and "lo fi" release [which is only "lo fi" when you slam the piss out of it... the rest of the time it's seriously musical]... and a brick wall "do not pass GO, do not collect $200-" limiter [the "skull" ratio] which is something that neither the Smart or the SSL gets anywhere near.

Over all I've found the Obsidian to be considerably more "HiFi" [as in clearer, more open on the top and focused on the low end] than the SSL or the Smart... and from what I understand, for the rest of 2007 they're going to be $2,750 [and going up like $200- at the end of the year].

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
Old 25th September 2007
THx for replying flech as you know im using a lynx aurora in to a mixdream.
I bought a G xlogic ssl compressor i liked it but it has that ssl sound in it but i felt it was two bright. It did give that magic radio sound i wanted, But a little to bright.

Now this Obsidan does it give that raidio like process? but i did notice that the ssl xlogic made it smaller sounding.
Old 25th September 2007
Solid State Logic

Well, in the testing of the new G Compressor module for the X-Rack we did a number of blind tests. I've used;
1991 FX384
1997 FX384
2003 XLogic G Series Stereo Compressor
AWS900+ in-built Bus Compressor
Duality in-built Bus Compressor
X-Rack G Compressor module

In our double-blind tests at SSL HQ with some of the "golden ears" team here the results were a little mixed. On the whole, we get around 85% accuracy when trying to distinguish between the older units and the newer units - however this does vary dramatically depending on setup; eg. differences are more apparent when separating a 24-channel mix than if you simply run an ITB stereo mix through one. However, bear in mind that the team here know exactly what to listen for and what the subtle differences in performance of the units are. The "non-golden ears" here struggled to accurately be consistent with their results, so much so that we could make no definite conclusion from them.

However, all of those who did the tests consistently commented on 2 things;
The difference is very small when all units concerned are up to full factory spec and calibrated
The older units sound a a very very little more "muffled" than the newer ones

Perhaps the main thing that affects these units is how close to factory spec they are - quite obviously if you have a 20-year old unit that has never been serviced then it might well sound different to another one. Just like old guitars, synths, whatever. The circuit design is the same in all of them, and it is only small component changes that affect the sound. In the 30-year history of the MBC we have had to use 9 different VCA chips in the differing models (due to things being discontinued) but the design has always stayed the same - that's the magic bit.

The bottom line is PICK THE ONE THAT YOU PREFER THE SOUND OF, RATHER THAN WHAT SOMEONE YOU'VE NEVER MET TELLS YOU IS THE BEST ONE ON AN INTERNET FORUM

And before anyone asks.... product testing here is a closely guarded secret. MI5 are in charge of it. All files are covered by the Official Secrets Act, and James Bond would break into my house at night with a garotte wire if I even thought about posting the blind test files. In fact, the whole UK economy would grind to a halt because trade secrets from the Bank of England are encoded in the audio files. So I won't be posting.

Sorry to be a spoilsport.

Use your own ears.........
Old 25th September 2007
fx384 just fell though guy just sold it. dont know if it had the dbx chips in there?
Old 25th September 2007
Well I have a grey FX384, Alan Smart C2, a recently recaped ADR Compex, Duality's built it quad compressor and also a Focusrite Red3 heh and for me the Duality compressor blew the old G compressor on things like Drums bussing, or overall mix compression, I bought that 384 many years ago believeing that it sounded better than the new stuff from SSL, and to my surprise, when I got my Duality, the compressor of the console sounded way better, maybe it's the physical situation of the compressor inside the console but believe me it sounds great. I'm sure they're new outboard stuff should sound amazing too.

For me the Alan smart C2 is amazing on things like Drum buss on Piano but for some reason, mine does something to the low frequencys that I don't want in a mix situation.

The Red3 is lovely on mix buss, it's funny because it's very sensitive, I have my threshold on 0!! and you can here it's beautifull compression working, very different animal, I love it.

Listen them all, and if you can, buy them all!!

delcosmos.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey delcosmos,
how are you liking your compex? I recently bought one and it's being recapped and calibrated now. I'm expecting it by the end of the week. Perhaps a replacement for the 384 on the mix buss?
David
Old 25th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' View Post
Hey delcosmos,
how are you liking your compex? I recently bought one and it's being recapped and calibrated now. I'm expecting it by the end of the week. Perhaps a replacement for the 384 on the mix buss?
David

Hi David, it's an amazing compressor, I started to care my ADR when Shakira went to my sudio with Rob Jacobs, 2 years ago, Rob looked at my rack a said "I love that ADR, when I mixed U2's "Rattle and hum" album, I put the whole mix through that compressor, it's amazing!" Honestly that compresor was one of the outboard gear that came with the whole deal when I bought my building 3 years ago, and I never give it much atention, but after what Rob said I was like...mmm... so I can try it on mix...mmm... so I started using it, it was very noisy and unstable, I sent it for a complete serviced and recaped and now is my "go to" compressor for strings, piano (hard compressed piano!!), it does drums great but I prefer other toys for those dutys.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Old 25th September 2007
That is funny...seems that some big boys like Rob Jacobs and Bob Ezrin liked that compressor(compex....is maybe a Jewish comp???? ...well I am tooheh...but I do not own it...) ....I am pretty sure Bob told me that he like that comp too!
And so cool that Armando can say he love his Duality Comp better that his old SSL Greyed Face! ...I do believe that new technology can do updates to classic ones that can sound better!!
Old 25th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
And so cool that Armando can say he love his Duality Comp better that his old SSL Greyed Face! ...I do believe that new technology can do updates to classic ones that can sound better!!
I'm sure that the built in compressor on any SSL console (4000, 6000, 9000, AWS, or Duality) sounds different to it's external counterpart. My FX384 is supposed to be a G series compressor, but I'm sure that if I compare it side by side against a built in 4000G compressor they gonna sound different and I bet that the console's could win.

So the solution... get a vintage 4000!! Just kidding
Old 25th September 2007
Well now i have to find another fx384 to buy i guess. im in a project studio for my self.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Not wanting to start an argument...

I've seen Fletcher comparing the Vintage Design unit to the Neve Comps and the Obsidian to the SSL/Smart units

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Fletcher,
For several month, you've been jumping in every 33609 or 2254's post comparing you Obsidian to them, and now you're comparing your Obsidian to a 384Fx.
Well, i own them 384, 33609 and 2254 and let me tell you something. They are 3 distinct piece of equipment. They only have in common 1 thing: They are compressors. Other than that they sound like day and night from each other....
All due respect, this Obsessidian thing of yours starts to sound pretty lame ....
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

That's right! Sorry about that! Post deleted!
Geezz! This 2nd day without smoking gets me all cranky! I never thought it'd be that hard!
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Dude...I created a post asking the difference between a Chandler TG1 and The Zener Limiter, and Fletcher came on and said I should get the Obsidian (or whatever they call that cheap 384clone).
Old 25th September 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
PICK THE ONE THAT YOU PREFER THE SOUND OF, RATHER THAN WHAT SOMEONE YOU'VE NEVER MET TELLS YOU IS THE BEST ONE ON AN INTERNET FORUM
Wiser words have rarely ever been spoken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgator View Post
I've seen Fletcher comparing the Vintage Design unit to the Neve Comps and the Obsidian to the SSL/Smart units
Thank you for allowing me the pleasure of not having to clarify previous statements.

I sincerely appreciate it!!
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
I'm sure that the built in compressor on any SSL console (4000, 6000, 9000, AWS, or Duality) sounds different to it's external counterpart. My FX384 is supposed to be a G series compressor, but I'm sure that if I compare it side by side against a built in 4000G compressor they gonna sound different and I bet that the console's could win.

So the solution... get a vintage 4000!! Just kidding
hola armando!

just out of curiosity, has anyone here A/Bd the comp on a G+ to the waves plug? i have an FX384 which has a family resemblance to the plug, but it certainly ain't a clone. i suspect that a comp inside the console (as delcosmos mentioned) would in all likelihood also sound different to a 384. could it be the plug is actually closer to a 4000 comp than the 384? just wondering. thanks.
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Maniac

i have a fx 384 g compressor now and was previously used to working on ssl g and g+ consoles and the fx comp definitely has different meter balistics than the console. you can get away with a bit more meter movement on the the rack unit. I tried a b ing with a c2 and went back to the ssl. still wish i had the c2 though for tracking, just prefered the ssl for the mix. wish i still had the g+ console though.
Old 26th September 2007
well if anyone interested in selling there fx384 then you have your self a buyer thx.
Old 26th September 2007
RAAL , ARMANDO, Are u going to the AES?

to RAAL: I compared the Waves SSL Buss compressor with the SSL G Master bus comp , I have to say the Waves did a great job!!! they nailed the character pretty much, but they do not respond exactly at the same settings to me......also there is some beef and depth that I prefer in the SSL 4000G master bus comp ( I guess is much more than the compressor and are are the other parts on the console)......but definetly is a great plug in.

I was cautious to monitor the results on my studio later
Old 26th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
hola armando!

just out of curiosity, has anyone here A/Bd the comp on a G+ to the waves plug? i have an FX384 which has a family resemblance to the plug, but it certainly ain't a clone. i suspect that a comp inside the console (as delcosmos mentioned) would in all likelihood also sound different to a 384. could it be the plug is actually closer to a 4000 comp than the 384? just wondering. thanks.
Hola Raal!

I think you are right, the plug in sound closer to that comp inside a console than those outboard fx384, honestly...

I like the plug in too!!

Un abrazo!!

Quote:
Of course!!

Best regards Amiel!
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
it'll be a pleasure to see you all there.

Quote:
to RAAL: I compared the Waves SSL Buss compressor with the SSL G Master bus comp , I have to say the Waves did a great job!!! they nailed the character pretty much, but they do not respond exactly at the same settings to me......also there is some beef and depth that I prefer in the SSL 4000G master bus comp ( I guess is much more than the compressor and are are the other parts on the console)......but definetly is a great plug in.

I was cautious to monitor the results on my studio later
thanks amiel!
Old 26th September 2007
Solid State Logic

FWIW The Waves plug-in was modelled from one of out "mother boards" from a 1983 E Series.

We would not have authorised it's release if we didn't think that it caputred enough of the character of the circuit.

However, like many others, given the option I'll always plump for the hardware comp.
Old 26th September 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
FWIW The Waves plug-in was modelled from one of out "mother boards" from a 1983 E Series.
Ladies and gentlemen... you heard it here first!!! The 1983 vintage SSL "E" series is THE cream of the vineyard's crop!!!

FWIW the first studio where I was staff that had an SSL, the desk was built around '83. I heard something to the effect that it was the first SSL "E" series in the US originally landing at Bullit Recorders in Nashville where Piers Plaskitt was the studio manager.

The dynamics sections of that desk were greatly superior to any SSL I have used since... I even nicked a couple of spare dynamics cards from the spares kit when the desk was sold and used to carry them to outside sessions when working on SSL's made subsequent to about '85 [after the change from B&B VCA's to DBX VCA's... the B&B's being "Voltage Controlled Attenuators" rather than "Voltage Controlled Amplifiers"]... they were indeed lovely for things like snare drum but damn near useless for more legato musical events... but as always, YMMV.

Peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search