The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High End Microphone Storage
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Nut

High End Microphone Storage

Was wondering how some of you high end Guys store your microphones. I've recently got some vintage microphones, and more expensive mics and want to keep them in the best possible working order. In the past what I've done with my mics is place them in large ziplocks tryin to remove as much as air possible, wrap them in bubble wrap and keep them in my safe.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

if you search Klaus Heyne's posts along the lines of this subject. i think i remember reading that he advised against a ziplock bag but am not 100% on that. i leave mine in a ziplock but i leave the bag unzipped so as not to trap any moisture. i do it mainly to help keep any dust off the capsule, well minimalize it at least.
Old 21st September 2007
Here for the gear

I put them in a pelican case.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
if you search Klaus Heyne's posts along the lines of this subject. i think i remember reading that he advised against a ziplock bag but am not 100% on that. i leave mine in a ziplock but i leave the bag unzipped so as not to trap any moisture. i do it mainly to help keep any dust off the capsule, well minimalize it at least.
Absolutely, DO NOT zip the bag. This can cause condensation to form on the diaphragm, which is very very bad.
Old 22nd September 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

Keep your ribbons upright!!
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg View Post
really? where did you learn this? i've never heard this before... who can verify?

my ribbons may have been suffering from horizontal storage syndrome all these years!! (but i doubt it to be honest...)
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg View Post
This is what I have ALWAYS been told as well

in fact... from the Royer website Royer Labs - Ribbon Basics

"Most ribbon mics require vertical storage to keep the ribbon upright and prevent stretching"
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

I leave them out in the live room with a crown royal bag over their grill...
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post

"Most ribbon mics require vertical storage to keep the ribbon upright and prevent stretching"
I wonder if storing a large diaphram condesor vertically has any benifit also?
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Zip lock baggies with those packs that absorb mostiure changed every six months in Seahorse ( less expensive pelican type) with cut foam.
I got very lucky when a guy had Some extras on craigslist and then found a Local distributer currently have 5 and Im ordering more!
Cables live in a foe ATA !
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post

actually they say: "Most ribbon mics require vertical storage to keep the ribbon upright and prevent stretching. However, our patented corrugation method allows for horizontal storage. You can store a Royer on its side for years and it will be fine."

phew, at least my 121 is ok!

gonna look up manufacturer's recommendations for my other ribbons... thanks for the tip.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Hidden gun safe bolted to the ground, each mic in a unzipped ziplock bag in its original case. One 100lb pitbull, one 70lb bull terrier, security cameras, alarm system, and a 357.

I can now sleep at night knowing my mics are safe.

AMERICA!! lol.....
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
really? where did you learn this? i've never heard this before... who can verify?

my ribbons may have been suffering from horizontal storage syndrome all these years!! (but i doubt it to be honest...)
Two of my ribbons came in a case that holds them on their sides. These are vintage Coles, they've been stored that way since they were made in the 50s or 60s (serial numbers under 1000). Taking a cue fromt his, I store my RCAs on their sides, too.

In terms of other mics, it is a fairly logical process. They need to breathe to vent off the moisture and heat of use. They need to be protected against dust. A popular method is to top them with a plastic bag but don't zip it, so that they can breathe. I have pretty much always stored mine in padded drawers, often in their original cases, so long as these are not plastic lined with foam. I've had a lot of bad luck with foam. The Beyer and similar foams just disintegrated into a powder, but the Shure foams turned into molasses.
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux View Post
Hidden gun safe bolted to the ground, each mic in a unzipped ziplock bag in its original case. One 100lb pitbull, one 70lb bull terrier, security cameras, alarm system, and a 357.

I can now sleep at night knowing my mics are safe.

AMERICA!! lol.....
In addition, i also coat mine in a poisen. I only give the antidote to clients AFTER payment clears.

Alternately, keep one of these out in the open to lure unfortunate theives into stealling this instead:
High End Microphone StorageEV RE20 GOLD SPARKLE, CUSTOM, 1 OF A KIND. BEAUTIFUL, MUST SEE. | eBay

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search