The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many hats . . . Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 16th June 2002
High End Moderator

How many hats . . .

How many hats are you guys wearing?

I feel that since the "invetntion" of project studios, we're all doing a lot more jobs than before. I started as an engineer and then became a producer/engineer. So when I was working in a studio, they always had an assistant on staff and he/she would do (amongst other things) the punch-ins so I could sit back and concentrate on the music.

Now I'm doing everything from producing, engineering, assisting, maintainance, office work to beeing the janitor and keeping the fridge stocked.

How does that affect your workflow? I noticed I get a lot less breaks, because when we're done with one song and everybody takes it easy, I have to set up for the next song. By the time that's done and I'm ready to come up for air, the band is itching to go back in and play again. Most budgets don't allow for an assistant, besides that I would be scared having anybody else handling my stuff.
Old 16th June 2002
There is only one

pretty much the jack of all trades. i keep my sessions simple [keep it simple stupid] so anything i have to attend to while the bands on break is quick. most of that stuff i can do with my eyes shut anyways... and more than not shooting the **** with the band while i do it. anything else, i usually need a member of the band to do... plus i keep the vibe VERY relaxed at my place.

things i would like NOT to do. money collection and accounting.
Old 16th June 2002
Lives for gear

we're three at the studio ....; and we all do everything ...

Marc does sales / engineering /Masterings / books
Raf does sales / engeneering
I do .... hmmm ... I hang out here ....... grggt
and do sales / engineering / and books

Mattia , Marcs girlfriend keeps the place clean so we can mess it up again the next day .... Thanks Mattia

we all do pretty much the same realy ... whoever is next to the phone picks it up and helps the client.
Old 16th June 2002
Moderator emeritus

It's pretty much me doing the studio stuff - I have a bookkeeper who comes in once a month to take care of the tax type paperwork and catch up Quickbooks to the checkbook, and my wife does most of the word processing and scheduling , but if it's inside the studio, it's me doing it. That's probably why the place needs a good cleaning...

It's also why some tech things don't get done quickly - I just found that a rack of preamps isn't working (yesterday, when I went to use them) and one of my UA 1176's isn't well. And one channel on the console isn't working (At least it's #46, so that's not a real problem.) Maybe I'l get a chance to see what I can do this week...
Old 16th June 2002
There is only one

me too. one of the channels on one of my pres went for a session last week so off it went to the company. i had input level but not level past the insert. wish i was more of an electrical engineer to just outright fix it but who has the time for that?
Old 17th June 2002
One with big hooves

I do everything except deep tech work and taxes. Those things get handed off to people that know what they're doing. I'll do the prelimanry tech work though so there's no wasted time and money once my guy gets to the studio.
Old 17th June 2002
High End Moderator

Do you guys ever feel like one job is affecting the other, like engineering is making it harder to concentrate on producing etc.?
Old 17th June 2002
Lives for gear

for me it is definately not the engineering that makes the producing harder .... on the contrary .... the time it takes to explain the engineer what and how I want it to sound ... I do it myself .... see it as an advantage really.

It is more the administration that I wish I could get rid off. I know ... a bookkeeper. And I do have one ... but I also need a secretary .... and I can't really afford one yet.
Old 17th June 2002
Lives for gear

I agree with Michael. I think that when I don't have to worry about performance, arrangement, tuning, etc., I can dial in the sounds a little better 'cause that's all I'm focusing on. Maybe that means I can't walk and checw gum at the same time.heh
Old 17th June 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Do you guys ever feel like one job is affecting the other, like engineering is making it harder to concentrate on producing etc.?
Nope - I think that in many cases it's easier to engineer and produce, since (A) I don't have to discuss it with anyone else, and (B) I'm sitting in the sweet spot, so I can hear what's going on better than another producer could (or, if I'm producing, I'd be bummed because I'm NOT sitting in the sweet spot.).

Multiple personalities make it much easier, of course...
Old 17th June 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
nope. i wouldnt have it any other way... even with clients im not "producing" i have to make an effort NOT to do it... and eventually get "thrown" into that role anyways. you just do it that way for so long, you dont know any other way. i had a band in last week where the bassist assumed some of the producer role and it was nice for me [less i had to worry about] but i was still dragged into it being the "final word" being an unbiased person.

the only other way i would work is with another engineer/producer... iow, i dont want some rick rubin sitting there stating what they want and cant make it happen engineeringwise themselves. but another version of me to bouce everything off of would just be a dream. working as a team maintaining both the sound and the production.
Old 17th June 2002
I like to delegate...

Swan around a bit.

Set the intonation up on gtrs while the drum mic's are being set up or just make better a better connection with the act on their first day in the studio.

Go for business lunches while tracks are auto tuned or drums time aligned.

Or do one task in the control room on the main DAW rig, and have an assistant do another, on a laptop DAW 'junior' rig out in the live area.

Keep the session rolling (even if its mix set up / prep work) while I am upstairs doing paperwork.

The ability to take a call from a VIP and let my assistant 'run through' an overdub or 'idea exploration time' while I am on the phone. (You know the deal, when you hear something good, wave a through the window to indicate ... "I like the direction that is going in").

To have my studio booked by my freelance engineer friends - and take a day off (but still be in close contact with the studio / assistant by phone)

The delegation can appear to be 'lazy' to some. In fact it allows me to 'multitask' and I do take a genuine interest in the assistants 'engineering development'.

I 'grew up' in a traditional engineer + assistant environment, it makes perfect sense for me to continue with that mode of operation. My business operation is based around it.
Old 17th June 2002
Lives for gear

Way off topic but..... Jules, did you ever find an assistant? What type of stuff does your assistant normally do? Just curious... have a friend moving over their soon. Lost the text again!!!!
My computer doesnt like this site at all.
Old 18th June 2002
Lives for gear

Michael . . . I find that if I don't keep up with the 'business' side of things . . . . my 'business' goes to ****. So I am finding myself being more of a business man then a producer / engineer, which I hate. The 'business' side of our business is my least favorite.

On the other hand, I am an 'old school' guy that is not 'moved' by the DAW recording concept, so I find many sessions I don't WANT to do, so I have an engineer here doing it.

Plus, a lot of the music that is coming through these days doesn't excite me, so I find myself picking and choosing sessions and running my business more.

btw . . I know what you mean about the assistants or interns . . . I had 2 in recently, one from Full Sail the other from the school in Arizona. I wanted to choke them half the time but the final straw was Mr. Full Sail screwing up a new tape (2") . . . then leaving my stereo Royer (that just got back from Royer on repair) out on a cement floor . . . NOT in it's case for a week or so after I had him strike a session. Needless to say . . . they don't work here anymore. The only thing I ever trusted them with was cleaning.
Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear

bumping an old thread because it is more relevant than ever.
Old 5th April 2008
Here for the gear

Hey Michael,

As you know I've got quite a hat collection and I need help. Looking for someone to save me from me! Its a ton of work but I love it.

Looking forward to the BBQ!

Nick
Old 5th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
How many hats are you guys wearing?

I feel that since the "invetntion" of project studios, we're all doing a lot more jobs than before. I started as an engineer and then became a producer/engineer. So when I was working in a studio, they always had an assistant on staff and he/she would do (amongst other things) the punch-ins so I could sit back and concentrate on the music.

Now I'm doing everything from producing, engineering, assisting, maintainance, office work to beeing the janitor and keeping the fridge stocked.

How does that affect your workflow? I noticed I get a lot less breaks, because when we're done with one song and everybody takes it easy, I have to set up for the next song. By the time that's done and I'm ready to come up for air, the band is itching to go back in and play again. Most budgets don't allow for an assistant, besides that I would be scared having anybody else handling my stuff.
Great post Michael!
First of all its hard to find good help these days. Alot of the interns I hire really just want to learn how to record their band, so as soon as they learn enough to become usefull to me they quit.

I've found that having a competent assitant run the show while I sit back and make crutial calls, check my email, etc... I come home feeling like I've just worked a city job, relaxed and maybe even ready to go out to dinner.
Withought an assistant, I fell like I just ran a sledge hammer for 10 hours and I'm not going out after that!
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear

I'm the only one here so,
everything.
Old 7th April 2008
Led
Lives for gear

I do a lot of different things, was always a muso but got an assistant gig as a teenager at a big facility when they still existed, but then got into remixing and producing then writing etc. For a while there I was doing everything, recording stuff while playing at the same time etc. I thought I was saving money, thereby allowing me more time to experiment with parts etc, therefore doing a better job. After a while I think the reality of it was I was splitting my abilities, thereby only really getting 50% of a result on either front. I've since gone back to having someone else record the stuff I'm playing, and I do the recording with other players and the mixing. I think it's made a big improvement on the stuff I'm playing, and I'm enjoying things a lot more because I'm focusing on only one thing and doing it well. Doing it all saved me some money I guess, but it's not always about the money. I still like to do any vocals by myself in the control room, but that's just a shyness thing I think.

PS - My mix room is part of a larger 4 room facility and we all work as a collective, so I have a receptionist and a couple of producers that handle all my admin and invoicing, bill chasing etc.
I tried doing that side of it myself once and it took so much out of me I didn't feel like making music at all.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search