The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TG1 Limiter plug vs hardware Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Maniac

TG1 Limiter plug vs hardware

Has Someone compared them? Which differences?

Thanks
Old 17th September 2007
I've used them both extensively and while the plug-in is very cool and sounds great, the real thing has a serious mojo to it that just can't be reproduced identically in the digital realm. Both are great but if you've got the cash, go for the real thing. It's truly incredible, especially on the drum bus.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks,
I love the plug above all on the drums (huge!) used together some hardware stuff like 160x. So the features of the sound are very similar?
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have used both. The real thing is impossible to beat by any plug-in (same with all plug-ins). However, the TG plug to me is equal (if not better) in it's emulation quality to the UAD-1 plugs... (which to me are the best). There is nothing that sounds as accurate as the TG and some of the UA stuff. So close follow ups (URS, Waves API collection,etc)...

LOVING the TG plug on a lot of sources... but definitely drums... yeah!
Old 17th September 2007
High End Moderator

Having both, I feel that the TG-1 plug-in sounds about 90-95% like the hardware box. The hardware box reacts a bit different when you drive it hard (as do all emulation plug ins to my ear), but as far as plug ins go the TG-1 seems the closest to the real thing. That said, I have not heard every plug-in ever made... heh
Old 17th September 2007
I have to agree with the above 90-95% statement. It's just that last little bit of non-linearity that the plug lacks. I thought the bottom end on it sounded just a different as well. But for an ITB mix, it would work really well on a drum room mic, etc. I also use it on vocals sometimes.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Addict

I just wish the VST (for PC) version will be available ASAP....
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I've used them both extensively and while the plug-in is very cool and sounds great, the real thing has a serious mojo to it that just can't be reproduced identically in the digital realm. Both are great but if you've got the cash, go for the real thing. It's truly incredible, especially on the drum bus.
I agree, only I thing I find the difference to be huge. IMO, Kittonian response above is spot ony if you want to be kind to the plugin. If the money is not a problem, no question. Night and Day difference in detail.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

the biggest difference to me is one you start hitting it hard.
the plug in can not emulate the asymetrical weirdness that occurs in the real box.
i did say, to me......
apparanetly some of this is subjective.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

I agree Rob... that compressor was meant to be hit hard. That is the sound. to me.
Old 18th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
I agree with the 90%-95% comments. I did an A-B comparison with my TG1 and the plugin both inserted on the same stereo drum track and adjusted as closely as possible to each other (I also matched levels in and out using test tones). The plugin matches the character of the hardware, but the hardware has that elusive "depth" in the soundfield that the plugin was coming up a bit short and flatter sounding on. It wasn't an "oh my God" difference, but it was enough to see how using the hardware on many tracks would retain more cumulative depth in the mix than using a bunch of instances of the plugin.

And for me, that 5-10% difference in depth was enough to warrant me keeping the hardware (I still use the plugin for some things though).
Old 18th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
I agree, only I thing I find the difference to be huge. IMO, Kittonian response above is spot ony if you want to be kind to the plugin. If the money is not a problem, no question. Night and Day difference in detail.
This is basically what I was trying to say without coming off sounding like the old "software plug-ins just can't come close to the real deal" statement. Honestly, it's close but on the other hand, the TG1 is meant to be pushed hard and the plug-in just doesn't do it like the real deal.
Old 18th September 2007
High End Moderator

For what it's worth, I use the TG-1 (plug-in or hardware) on every lead vocal track in the mix, just absolutely love it. thumbsup thumbsup
Old 18th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
For what it's worth, I use the TG-1 (plug-in or hardware) on every lead vocal track in the mix, just absolutely love it. thumbsup thumbsup
thumbsup
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
spoken like a true endorsee Jus' Playin! hehheh
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Addict

Here are 2 Files.

One is compressed with the Hardware TG1

One is compressed with the TG1 Plug In.
Attached Files

File A.wav (3.00 MB, 2342 views)

File B.wav (3.00 MB, 1850 views)

Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Preferred B, although there was a clear difference in the size of the peaks being allowed through.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

i too use the plug in all the time, too.
but when its time to crunch something up you need the real box.
........to me.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Prefered B

The Chandler plug Rocks and of course the URS strip pro
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

haven't compared to the hardware but god I love this plug..it's always on my lead vocal and always on the drum bus and bass guitar..oh yeah and ROOM mics
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Guru

Wow. Very close. I think I prefered B as well. Tighter bottom. That's where I heard the most difference - in the bottom end. It would have been great to have a non compressed track as well for a reference.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

I compared the plugin to my TG1 and really liked the plug, but it's NOT the same. And I agree with those that say the magic happens when you slam it. Same with an la3a.
Old 19th September 2007
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
spoken like a true endorsee Jus' Playin! hehheh
Sure hope so...
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Guru

a is pumping so much more, and there's so much more distortion... there's no real way to compare these two clips.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

file b...is better more control
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

I didn't listen to them, but when I hear "tighter bottom, more control" etc, I start thinking "plug".

OB I start thinking "distortion, fatter bottom" etc.

Let's see...
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Chandler plug Rocks and of course the URS strip pro[/QUOTE]

+1 on both those.

B
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

TG1 vs Zener limiter

On the same gear subject;

Is the Zener limiter worth the extra $600 compared to the TG-1 ?
Thanks for your input
Old 19th September 2007
theother
First of all... there is a huge difference between A and B.

I have to say I like B better. Just sounds fuller and bigger. A is too squashed.

...but then I never thought that any plugin sounds really like the hardware it tries to emulate... maybe inspired by the hardware?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search