The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TG1 Limiter plug vs hardware Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th September 2007
GMo
Gear Head

B sounds WAY better to me. I would LOVE it if B is the plug.I'm all for the cheaper plug in.(More instances,recall,etc) ...Although I have a bad feeling that B is the hardware.
Old 19th September 2007
theother
That's the dilemma! I don't know what I want B to be!

I invested heavy $ into hardware but I don't have the TG1 (only the plug).

So whatever B is, I won't be happy!
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lab View Post
On the same gear subject;

Is the Zener limiter worth the extra $600 compared to the TG-1 ?
Thanks for your input
I think yes.. if it's "only" 600$

With zener there's so much more control.. you'll end up with a TG1 with lots and lot's more flexibility, you can use it on the master buss, for mastering and the sidechain is killer on kick, snares and drum sub
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Guru

So van Overhalen........when's the reveal????
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Guru

if people like B better it's likely because A is an example of really bad compression, which is not the exclusive domain of plug-ins. aside from the question of whether B is a plug or a box, it's just a better use of the tool.

am i wrong in thinking this invalidates the whole comparison, because the distinction here is not nuances of tone or depth or grab, the distinction is good vs. bad compression?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
if people like B better it's likely because A is an example of really bad compression, which is not the exclusive domain of plug-ins. aside from the question of whether B is a plug or a box, it's just a better use of the tool.
absolutely.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Overhalen View Post
Here are 2 Files.

One is compressed with the Hardware TG1

One is compressed with the TG1 Plug In.
Thanks for sharing!

Just curious, were both compressors used with the same setting?

Andreas
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Addict

Just wanted to say that the compression is really over the top with these clips
'cause I wanted to hear the difference between hard- and software when hit hard !

So the clips do not necessarily show which one "sounds better" but which one can be pushed to sound more extreme...

UBK is absolutely on the spot here:

Quote:
am i wrong in thinking this invalidates the whole comparison, because the distinction here is not nuances of tone or depth or grab...
Many claim that software is quite capable of emulating hardware with moderate settings
but fails to deliver when pushed hard and that the real difference between hard- and software can only be found within extreme settings.
So I pushed them suckers hard and listened, that's all.

However I see how dangerous these file comparisons are.
You can never ever match a plugin with the hardware-box which it tries to emulate, settings-wise.
It is always a guessing game.
I feel that in posting files I could "prove" whatever I wanted to.

So yes, the plugin sounds good, no, I will not sell the hardware-box,
yes, I still use the plugin though I own the real thing,
yes, you can make the real thing sound worse when misusing it
BUT it NEVER sounds worse when used appropriate.

For the record: I like the real TG1 better.

So please take this with a HUUUUGE grain of salt:

A is the hardware
B is the plugin
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=van Overhalen;
A is the hardware
B is the plugin[/QUOTE]

whoa isn't b the one verybody liked?? Cool that saves me like 3 grand.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

LOOOOOOOL
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you listen to the clips, the sonic fidelity is much better in clip A, but clip B has a slower attack, thus preserving the transient information and increasing the body. That's the problem with these comparisons. The plugs and hardware don't behave in the same manner. You can't just match the attack setting on the plug to that of the hardware (or vice versa) and trust it will be the same.You should find separate optimal settings for each.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
A is the hardware
B is the plugin
Funny, I guessed right without even listening to the files...
Old 25th January 2011
Here for the gear

To me A is a way better, especially at higher volumes...the main thing I love about hardware gear is that you can push it hard preserving the deepnes...it especially comes into play when you listen through small earphones...B is very close in terms of the overal character of the hardware piece but to me it sounds a lot less musical.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Overhalen View Post

So please take this with a HUUUUGE grain of salt:

A is the hardware
B is the plugin
hehhehhehheh
Yes, the biggest grain of salt in the known universe!

The plug-in holds veeery well...but as Derektgm said the main difference is the lack of deepnes/resolution with the plug-in.
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

In real world use in a mix --- not the same. That's why I'm buying another TG1. Plug is real good, the hardware TG1 is special.
Old 26th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
the hardware TG1 is special.
+1 A very true statement
Old 8th August 2011
bee
Lives for gear

I'm really impressed with this plugin...I think I'm gonna have to get it and hold out for a used Zener. Thanks for the clips.
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm really impressed with this plugin...I think I'm gonna have to get it and hold out for a used Zener. Thanks for the clips.
You're welcome !
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Guru

For about 6 months now the TG1 has been the second-to-last processor in my whole rig. I'm addicted to using it in thd mode on the whole mix, finding where it breaks up unpleasantly then usually backing it off to about 70%.

It's rather depressing, actually. I've got the mastering edition, and I know I should be using it for ridiculous things that only it can do, but I keep coming back to the world's most-expensive least-overt distortion generator ever. At some point I know I'm gonna break, I can't keep using a $4000 like this, it strikes me as the worst kind of indulgence.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th August 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
For about 6 months now the TG1 has been the second-to-last processor in my whole rig. I'm addicted to using it in thd mode on the whole mix, finding where it breaks up unpleasantly then usually backing it off to about 70%.

It's rather depressing, actually. I've got the mastering edition, and I know I should be using it for ridiculous things that only it can do, but I keep coming back to the world's most-expensive least-overt distortion generator ever. At some point I know I'm gonna break, I can't keep using a $4000 like this, it strikes me as the worst kind of indulgence.

Gregory Scott - ubk
I'd love to hear clips of this if ya have them.
Old 20th August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'd love to hear clips of this if ya have them.
This one has yet to be mastered. I never quite got the bottom octave moving the way I wanted on this one, it's slower and looser than I'd like, but I love the overall groove and color and the space around the whole mix.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th August 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Wow! That sounds really good...thanks for posting the clip.
Old 5th July 2016
Rea
Lives for gear

I own both the Zener Limiter and the Plugin version of TG.
To my amazement the plugin gets a smoother result pumping and smashing the hell out of drum bus.

The Zener either lets transients pass through too much or, if I lower the attack/release times below the original TG low settings, it gets grainy and you can hear the machine getting confused by the transients and sounding jittery...

The plug smooths all the transients and makes every hit LOOOOOONG and smooth. quite a surprising revelation to me .

I spent HOURS trying to get the Zener hardware to do what the plug does and i couldn't- no matter what.
All combinations of speeds and gain structure.... Just couldn't get it to do it.

OTOH, there is a good chance that for other applications the Zener kills the plug, but this is something i was looking for in this type of limiter and the plug just kills all the transients and elongates the drum hits and room reverb in a crazy way that the HW is not able to give me.

I haven't used the TG1 HW, so maybe that is the main difference between the Zener and the TG1 HW- Maybe the TG1 HW kills both the Zener and the Plug in what i am after...

Thats my experience anyway...
Old 5th July 2016
Rea are you referring to the old Abbey Road TG1 or the TG12345 Waves plug in?
Old 5th July 2016
Lives for gear

Any idea where I could find the installer for this TDM RTAS VST/AU plugin for Mac OS?

Still got the Ilok authorisation. Thanks.

Mart

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search