The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
drum heads AGAIN AND AGAIN
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Head

drum heads AGAIN AND AGAIN

So the one head I never have made a clear preference for is the kick resonant head. I definitly like a hole but thats been about my only preference. What do yall like in a Resonant Kick head? As well when I was recording a drummer a while back he had tom heads that were cut out in the middle of the resonant head just like a bass drum resonant head. It had a black ring around it to I believe. Best tom sound I ever got. Does anyone know who makes em.
Old 9th November 2002
member no 666

I've found that it doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot once you cut a hole in the thing... whatever's cheapest should work fine.
Old 9th November 2002
Riffer

Yeah, what Fletcher said... as for tom heads, heads don't come with holes in them, drum shops sell templates for holes and then you cut your own. Can't imagine holes in tom heads sounding good, but if you insist, just get some hole templates, stick 'em on and cut 'em out.

--Lee
Old 9th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Re: drum heads AGAIN AND AGAIN

Quote:
Originally posted by Cannon Fo So
What do yall like in a Resonant Kick head?
Remo Ebony. Hole or no hole.
Old 11th November 2002
One with big hooves

Hole or no hole the reso head makes a difference but not as much as the batter head. I like the Evans EQ3 reso head though a Remo Ebony or coated Ambassador doesn't suck either.
Old 13th November 2002
I hate evans heads, to me they make the kick sound like cardboard. I like the remo ambassadors much better.
Old 14th November 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Musiclab
I hate evans heads, to me they make the kick sound like cardboard. I like the remo ambassadors much better.
you have got to be kidding. i use EQ3's on mine now [beater and reso] and i have never heard a more beautiful sound from a kick.
Old 14th November 2002
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Musiclab
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by alphajerk:
you have got to be kidding. i use EQ3's on mine now [beater and reso] and i have never heard a more beautiful sound from a kick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No I'm not kidding, maybe no one came in here with EQ3's. I confess my ignorance to all of the different flavors of evans heads. But every drummer
who came in with evans heads made me work way harder to get a kick drum sound, and even when I got the kick to sound good, there was always this odd quality about the kick.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

Alpha,
Interesting remarks about the Evans heads on bass drum. I tried an Evans on the batter side once ( local drum shop was out of Powerstrokes) and wasn't that impressed. (Can't recall which model of head) After reading your posts I think I'll give em another go. Just curious, what do you do in the way of muffling, if any, inside the drum? Are you using a full resonant head, or cutout? Thanks in advance for any and all input! TommyD
Old 14th November 2002
There is only one

i am not sure of the other evans models... there are a few i believe. one that has a built in damper [EQ4?] but its the EQ3 that im using.

i was a long time powerstroke3 user. it had too much snap and not enough thump, real paper type sound. the remo emporers are closer to what the EQ3's sound like but i find the emporers more "muffled" than the EQ3's.

i use EQ3's on both heads but have yet to find a full reso head locally to use. so mine currently has the 5"[?] hole on the outer rim. i usually mic the opposite side of that with a U195 or a royer R121 and sometimes a D112 on the inside on the beater head but i am going to get an ATM25 to sub for that mic soon..

i use no damping at all on the inside. the two heads tuned right i find no need to dampen the heads any.
Old 14th November 2002
Lives for gear

Alpha,
Thanks for the reponse. While trashing around in my storage area I found that head. It's an EQ2 with built in damping rings and small vent holes around the perimeter. Next time I stop by the drum shop I'll have to try out the EQ3's. Thanks again! TommyD
Old 14th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

It depends on the kick, but I have to dampen mine no matter how I tune the heads. The exception is when a boomy, open note sounding kick fits the song. I've heard kicks sound great without dampening as well as with. Maybe there is a good combination of batter and reso so I don't have to dampen it, but I haven't found it yet.

I use a twin size bedsheet folded in half and rolled up like a giant cigar, resting in the center of the kick, with the ends touching the batter and reso heads just right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search