The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ssl buss compressor which?
Old 14th September 2007
ssl buss compressor which?

Which is the comp compressor for a g 4000 the one waves emulaties i was thinking if getting a clone. the main ssl compressor that sounds sweet.

I thought of the 33609 compressor but $ to much right now for me

i right pop/rock dance.

Pendulum Audio OCL-2 compressor?
Old 14th September 2007
the one to get would be the SSL G Series Compressor, however if that's too pricey there are some other comps that sort of do what that box does (not 100% though). they are the Alan Smart C1 and the Gyraf DIY GSSL kit.
Old 4 weeks ago
What's the difference / history behind those SSL busses :

G384
Xlogic G
Super Analogue 9000 (like in the multichannel model)

Which one is the fastest to catch transients?
Old 4 weeks ago
I've used and owned allot of ssl comps. For me the main difference is usually the knee. The real G384has quite a steep knee which non of the clones including the smart doesn't nail. That can be a good thing though because it will come out as more transparent then the real one. Although non of the clones I've used nail the mid push, saturation of the G384. If that's about the old dbx vca chip or something else dunno.

Every clone do the ssl snap thing we all like so if you get a chance a/b 1-3 units within your budget!
Old 4 weeks ago
Try the dramastic obsidian.... you won’t regret it..
Old 4 weeks ago
I'm not interested in clones or plugins at all because none sound like the real deal

I'm just trying to figure out the differences between SSL buss compressors
G384
Xlogic
Super analog / 9000

Any info/input / experience greatly appreciated

Thank you
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
Which is the comp compressor for a g 4000 the one waves emulaties i was thinking if getting a clone. the main ssl compressor that sounds sweet.

I thought of the 33609 compressor but $ to much right now for me

i right pop/rock dance.

Pendulum Audio OCL-2 compressor?
I USE THE WESAUDIO DIONE ON MY 2 BUS. SOUNDS GREAT AND IT HAS DIGITAL RECALL.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...digital-recall
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Try the dramastic obsidian.... you won’t regret it..
Yup I agree 100%
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Some of the clones, from my experience, have the following issues:

I had two original STAM units and both had the following:
- Defective auto circuit. If the compression needle doesn't hang for 10 sec or so after the signal stops, it has two of the resistors accidentally swapped (a mistake from an error in an online schematic not made from SSL)
- General errors in levels, markings, etc.
- Slight reduction in very high end (-1db > 10k)
- Attack and release not as fast as the original (0.1ms = 0.2ms). This is audible.
- VU meter light too bright

The new Warm Audio units *may* have the issue with the auto circuit. I watched a video while it was set to AUTO and the needle appeared to be dropping much too fast. This is unconfirmed.

I had an AudioScape that was very good. The auto circuit was mostly correct (a bit too fast) and the min attack was 0.15ms which was just barely audibly different with drums when compared to the SSL's 0.1ms. It does have that bright VU meter like the STAM that doesn't work in my studio, but this can be easily dimmed by installing one resistor which is really easy to do.

The 500 series SSL G comp: I could not find a single issue with it. Even the markings across the board were perfectly calibrated (attack and release settings were exact). VU meter is perfect.

There are so many clones out there and probably some do the SSL thing really well. But I would look into the above mentioned issues with any clone just to be sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, I went though a little bit of a quest like this.

(Remember, I'm an opinionated S.O.B.)

BSS DPR-404 & Drawmer DL241 \ 441. Yawn machines that were better not added to the signal path.

I tried the TK Audio BC1-S. I didn't bond with it or like it at all. For parallel and inserts of individual instruments, it was boring.

Smart C-1. Tends to make electric guitars and snare pop on a parallel, in a slightly 'papery' kind of artificial brightness. Awesome if you want that. Great for insert on snare, and bottom snare.

Foote Control Systems FCS P3EX. Awesome. Really well balanced, really fast and the built in HPF on the detection circuit rocks. I really wanted the TK Audio to be like this.

Also I have a Behringer that I used as a limiter on the home entertainment system, back when the audio was still analog at some point, that would catch those pesky loud commercials. I tried it in the studio and it really did the DBX thing quite nice. It's broken now, though, of course.

My other compressors are not VCA and do quite different things.

Last edited by Kronos147; 4 weeks ago at 06:07 PM.. Reason: logicical flow
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My long time favourite is still the Roll Music RMS 755, very wide band width and extremely precise control over the timing of the envelope - run it into a vari MU comp and it's a magic pairing.
Old 2 weeks ago
I ended up with the Serpent compressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search