The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hey Michael Wagener.... Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Michael Wagener....

Hello,

I was wondering about the gear you use. You come from the good ol days of rock recording, but it seems that you don't necessarily embrace much of the classic gear that one might expect. I have only recently been perusing here on a regular basis, but from your very insightful posts, you rarely bring up the "Holy Trinity" of recording gear: Neve, Urei, Neumann. I'm sure you have beat the 1073's and 1176's to death in your vast experience, but you have no problem setting them aside for the newer stuff. Do you find them a little overhyped or maybe do you just prefer the newer sounds of the new school gear? I'm just curious about your attitude towards gear decisions.
Thanks for your time.
Druhms
Old 13th September 2007
High End Moderator

The answers is pretty simple: I use whatever gets the job done.

I still use an 1176 and Urei 530 9 band EQs. Neumann hasn't made anything in years that would excite me. There are plenty of "new" pre-amps and "new" gear out there that are great recording tools, so I don't necessarily have to have an "original", which probably comes with high maintainance cost.

That said, I think I have used an LA2A twice and a Pultec once in my career, never used a Fairchild, but a piece of Chandler, GreatRiver or CraneSong gear (the new Holy Trinity heh ) is on every record I do these days.
Old 26th July 2008
High End Moderator

Correction: the 1176 is SOLD heh
Old 26th July 2008
Gear Addict

hey....its joey baron...using nuendo yet?
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post

Ha!!

After nearly a year from the original post hehheh
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

After posting the original question nearly a year ago, I have become more aware of Michael Wagener's gear decisions. It is incredibly refreshing, in my opinion, that someone as experienced as he is has no hesitation in giving everything a chance. It seems most people in his category are easily hung up on the typical classic gear choices, but his attitude towards gear (and recording in general) is an inspiration for us younger guys. Just because it's a Neve and an 1176 doesn't mean it's the best for the job... although, I heard that 1176 you sold, and it was a good one. Whoever got that thing has a fine example of an 1176.
In the past few years, I have learned to rely more on your ears than reputation, and I am feeling better about my mixes the more I realize that.
Just thought I'd chime in on the subject at hand.
Druhms
Old 27th July 2008
High End Moderator

Old 27th July 2008
I thought I was going to open this thread and read:

"Hey, Michael Wagener,

What's your game, now, can anybody play?"
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think I have used an LA2A twice and a Pultec once in my career, never used a Fairchild...
But how 'bout 1073, 1084, Sta-Level, V72S .... heh?
Old 27th July 2008
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
But how 'bout 1073, 1084, Sta-Level, V72S .... heh?
1073 - a couple of projects, same for the 1084
sta-level - never
V72s - only on Accept's "Restless And Wild"

That said I would love to get a pair of V76s (or whatever alternative Oliver is coming up with)
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I still use an 1176 and Urei 530 9 band EQs. Neumann hasn't made anything in years that would excite me. There are plenty of "new" pre-amps and "new" gear out there that are great recording tools, so I don't necessarily have to have an "original", which probably comes with high maintainance cost.

That said, I think I have used an LA2A twice and a Pultec once in my career, never used a Fairchild, but a piece of Chandler, GreatRiver or CraneSong gear (the new Holy Trinity heh ) is on every record I do these days.
Its really nice to hear this from someone with credentials..The gear made today is great stuff. I would never waste my cash on a old beat up Pultec eq's...I have Tone Control's...They sound great to me...I always felt vintage gear is over rated and way over priced
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
I always felt vintage gear is over rated and way over priced
I agree that much of it is, but in my ongoing search for the best acoustic guitar microphone money can buy, I have yet to find anything new that comes close to a KM54.
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I agree that much of it is, but in my ongoing search for the best acoustic guitar microphone money can buy, I have yet to find anything new that comes close to a KM54.
True Maybe but there are so many variables. It could be the best Mic or maybe its your preamp that works well with the KM54... I think it comes down to the person tracking the music. The Engineer>>> Maybe its just you? Nothing to do with the vintage gear...
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
True Maybe but there are so many variables. It could be the best Mic or maybe its your preamp that works well with the KM54... I think it comes down to the person tracking the music. The Engineer>>> Maybe its just you? Nothing to do with the vintage gear...
Remove quantitative analysis from this forum and it dies a quick death. Where would we be without discussions of the "best" of anything?

Regarding the 54 - it's not a newcomer. It's high regard isn't dependent upon variables. And indeed there are plenty of opinions with all kind of mic pres, all kinds of engineers, all kinds of music, all kinds of other related gear. All reviews, or nearly all, glowing. Many attempts to clone it but none so far.

What's your favorite acoustic guitar mic, new or old?
Old 28th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Remove quantitative analysis from this forum and it dies a quick death. Where would we be without discussions of the "best" of anything?
What's your favorite acoustic guitar mic, new or old?

I agree and enjoy the discussion. I was referring to vintage gear verses modern gear only.. as for acoustic Mic i was on a U99 binge for a while now i love my set of Peluso CEMC into a tg2 and tone control's
Old 28th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was referring to vintage gear verses modern gear only.
I know, and so was I. In response to the 'vintage is overrated' statement, which is why I'd mentioned that I've never heard anything new that competes with a 54. So there are exceptions.

I agree in general that the mere vibe of vintage gear which drives its price up doesn't make it better than new gear. Some yes, but much of it no.
Old 20th June 2012
Here for the gear
Quote:

hi Super Mike, since you know very deeply the UREI530 and I have a great chance to get it one, how is it on snare? I know it's good for midrangy stuff (like dist. gtrs) . Thanks!!
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hahaha Hey Michael, I actually completely agree, and have learned a LOT by watching your posts full of wisdom. I'm into all the newer stuff to however I still DO own a plate verb. That's me doing my small part in the "vintage" rage......
Old 4th July 2012
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioworks View Post
hi Super Mike, since you know very deeply the UREI530 and I have a great chance to get it one, how is it on snare? I know it's good for midrangy stuff (like dist. gtrs) . Thanks!!
I use the 530 mainly on electric guitar. Sometimes you just have to put it in the chain, with all faders on zero and it already sounds better (to my ear). It can be a noisy little unit though. I don't EQ the snare (or anything else for that matter) on the way in, and during the mix the 530 would live on guitars, so I have not really experimented with it on snare. That said, yes, it works well on midrangy stuff.
Old 4th July 2012
High End Moderator

Quote:
...and I am in L-O-V-E with the RETRO 176, I would take that over ANY 1176
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice.. are you using it mainly for vocals? I've been interested in getting a nice powerful comp for lead vocals, both for mixing and occasionally going in with. This one isn't cheap, but it has a great feature set, and seems to be a solid build..

I'm curious as to how much of that original 1176 character it imparts.
Old 5th July 2012
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts View Post
Nice.. are you using it mainly for vocals? I've been interested in getting a nice powerful comp for lead vocals, both for mixing and occasionally going in with. This one isn't cheap, but it has a great feature set, and seems to be a solid build..
Vocals, bass, drum room, everything you want BIG! The price range is right in there with an old 1176 in good shape but the 1176 is much more of a few tricks pony, the 176 gives you a much larger variety of sound choices.
Quote:
I'm curious as to how much of that original 1176 character it imparts.
Since to my ears every 1176 sounds different, I can't answer part 2 of your question
Old 5th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I got mine 4 weeks ago.
absolutely stunning.

if there is a shortcut ever to get Vocals done in the mix faster with top quality, the Retro 176 def. is one.

The Problem now is, I need a second one.

Michael, hope your all fine
I`ll be in the states all August,

Liebe Grüße aus Hamburg,

Eike
Old 5th July 2012
Gear Maniac

I think a good 1176 sounds a bit more gritty when pushed hard (which can be a good second option to more aggressive parts in a song), but
the retro always sounds a little more pleasing and stays huge, without shrinking
the sound source.
Old 5th July 2012
Quote:
Oops. I never got around to gloating about this...
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Michael, Just curious, ever try the Lucas Limiting amp? I know Terry had them designed (roughly) on the 175/176 architecture some 10 or 12 years ago?
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since to my ears every 1176 sounds different, I can't answer part 2 of your question
Yeah, good point. But this post gives me an idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleo View Post
I think a good 1176 sounds a bit more gritty when pushed hard (which can be a good second option to more aggressive parts in a song), but
the retro always sounds a little more pleasing and stays huge, without shrinking
the sound source.
Cool. I've just got to try one of these out.. consistency and reliability are important to me, so I don't think I want to toss the dice on a vintage 1176.
Old 5th July 2012
High End Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, good point. But this post gives me an idea:

Cool. I've just got to try one of these out.. consistency and reliability are important to me, so I don't think I want to toss the dice on a vintage 1176.
Can you rent a 176 or borrow one to hear it at your studio? ...and then get your wallet out because you WILL keep it
Old 5th July 2012
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Hi Michael, Just curious, ever try the Lucas Limiting amp? I know Terry had them designed (roughly) on the 175/176 architecture some 10 or 12 years ago?
No, haven't tried it yet, would love to though.
Old 26th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Oops. I never got around to gloating about this...
Hey Trev! Now's your chance! But it seems like I've seen a pic floating around on the internet with you holding your prized 1176 in all it's glory? Ha!

Seriously though, that specific unit is what every 1176 wants to sound like. Michael had one of the greats.
JJ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search