The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal Chain Alternatives Channel Strips
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Vocal Chain Alternatives

Ok...so I have a U87, Avalon M5 and Summit TLA 100A and I'm looking for alternatives for under £4000. I like the sound I'm getting on some vocals but sometimes find it too clean. I've had a few suggestions of Chandler Germaniums, Neve 1073's into 1176 Blackface or Distressor and I've also thought about API stuff too..

Any suggestions out there? I do mostly Pop RnB/Hip Hop and Acoustic stuff...any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

i would try the new forssell with crane song trakker for rnb
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

thanks...have you used both of them?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Tube Tech CL1B or an LA2A for compression.
1176LN is great.

I"ve seen the ISA-430, Vox Box, VT737SP, and neve 1081/1073s getting used for R&B a lot. it's usually those units.

A lot of people are raving about the API channel strip. There are a lot of people on this forum who love that stuff.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks..another compressor I thought about was a Gates Sta-Level! I've heard many great reports about these and If I couldn't get hold of an original maybe the Gold edition retro one.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

If too clean, try a Summit pre, the one with input and output atten ..I used it with an 87, running the input a tad hot sounds neat.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy79 View Post
Thanks..another compressor I thought about was a Gates Sta-Level! I've heard many great reports about these and If I couldn't get hold of an original maybe the Gold edition retro one.
i've heard a lot of good things about the gates. you can't go wrong with the vintage or reissue LA2A, 1176LN, Gates, Ear 660/Fairchild.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
i would try the new forssell with crane song trakker for rnb
The Forssell is a very clean & detailed sounding preamp from what i hear.

Personally i like the slightly distorted sound of a Neve 1073 for vocals, it just makes them cut through the mix very easily. I wouldn't describe it as warm sounding if thats what your looking for.

With regards to compressors, the Purple MC77 is a good choice and has a smooth sound which works well for vocals. The Distressor on the other hand can give you the option of adding 2nd order or tape harmonics. I would say the Distressor is a more flexible unit, but is a bit 'in your face' where as the MC77 is smoother and cleaner.
Both are very usefull for doing different things!

Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've been using a Soundelux e47c into a V72 with no compression. I think that's under $4000 quid.

It sounds great. I have a vari-mu that'll I'll probably use eventually to keep things from becoming distorted.

But right now I'm just enjoying the cozy chalice of tube amplification and basic micing.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you're in the UK, (or anywhere for that matter), I'd look into the "Nevish" Phoenix DRS, with or without EQ. Great value and superb allround sound. Colour and character, and can be driven harder for more of both.

Comps .. sure, 1176 or Purple .. or of course anything in the LA2/LA3/CL1B area. Buzz Audio SOC does a nice "clean with character" thing, but is a great all round comp, even very useful on buss and mix dutes.

For mics, good tips here already, but consider the Series II Hamburg and Vienna from ADK. Built for a sound rather than a price point, Hamburg is Neumanish, Vienna is AKGish. I also have the high end tube ADK, the Custom Shop model with a Blue 47 capsule .. very differerent from an 87.

B
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

U87+Neve1073+1176

That chain is in the first chapter of the handbook.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallboy79 View Post
thanks...have you used both of them?
Well, i havent used the Trakker. I got an Stc-8, which i use every time for vocal recording. I think the trakker has more options and is cheaper, cause mono.
The Stc-8 can compress without hearing any compression artefacts, even when pushed really hard. Also it ads a nice shine. Its very uncoloured compared to 1176... I love this unit.

I tried the Forssell, but havent bought it yet. But i surely will at the end oth this month. Another gearslut mentioned the Gordon preamp in another thread. I havent tried, but i will do before getting the Forssell, but i really doubt that any preamp can make me more smile at the moment than the Forssell.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

Cheers all so far...there's certainly plenty of suggestions so I'm gonna do my homework on them, have a listen to any I can get hold of and make my decision. I'll let you know what I decide on when I do. I'm thinking of sticking with the Summit as I do love this compressor but trying alternatives for the mic and pre. At a later date when finances allow me to I'll definitely pick up a few more of the compressors you've mentioned!

Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

I've just heard a Wunder CM7-GT through a Aurora pre in an old thread and it sounded so good! That combo is a very strong contender right now! Anyone else have experience with this setup?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search