The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New mic pre or new mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

New mic pre or new mic?

I am going to purchase something new for my personal studio and am wondering about opinions about this decision. I know I can purchase the pre's to try them out from a dealer and return them if they don't work but I am also looking at some older Neumann mics as well that may not be as easy to try before I commit. I have a Neotek Series II and I use the pre's on that board only. I record mainly acoustic music. So, I am looking at either a Great River pre or Aurora GTQ2 and on the mic end I am considering a km84 or a km54/56. I can't afford to purchase both a mic and pre at this time. Would I notice a bigger difference getting the mic pre or one of these microphones? I currently use a Peluso 2247LE and some Audio Technica small diaphram mics.

Thanks!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Jackmac,

If you want to demo the PRE420, I can find a dealer near you.

Thanks,
Elias
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Which AT mics are you using?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Try an AKG 451...fantastic for acoustics...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

The (informed) consensus on this board seems to be that sound differences between mics are greater than between preamps.
So I'd say your best buy in your situation would be one of the Neumanns.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
...sound differences between mics are greater than between preamps
This is a very true, and rarely acknowledged fact. I've always believed in a chain of importance for tracking (ie, what affects the sound of a recording the most):

1. Song
2. Musicians
3. Instruments / environment
5. Mics (placement)
6. Pres
7. Converters
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try an AKG 451...fantastic for acoustics...
Yes x 100. There are only 4 SDC mics in my book that are really useable on acoustic, km84, vintage 451, KM54/56, and the KM86. All others eat horse manure next to these.

The key is that you get one that is 100% up to spec. The achilles heal for all these is the capsule. Maybe less of an issue with a KM84 and KM86 (as they are built very well), but I find more CK-1 caps that are way out of spec, some too dark, others way too bright. The KM54/56 is even more of an issue due to the nickel capsule. I wouldn't own a KM54/56 simply due to this issue, but after hearing them in action, I salivate all over the place.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasGwinn View Post
This is a very true, and rarely acknowledged fact. I've always believed in a chain of importance for tracking (ie, what affects the sound of a recording the most):

1. Song
2. Musicians
3. Instruments / environment
5. Mics (placement)
6. Pres
7. Converters
It's striking that your chain of importance is also a kind of chronological and signal flow chain! I am currently in the process of upgrading 3-7 (and continually in the process of upgrading 1 and 2...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search