The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daking, Wunder, Chandler, Api, Neve, etc, etc,
Old 13th September 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
Daking, Wunder, Chandler, Api, Neve, etc, etc,

I was thinking the other day that there is quite a lot of these small format consoles being offered these last few months. And common among them is a fairly high asking price for what is in fact not a complete system as I see it.
None of the above, that I know of are offering full monitoring (24 tracks) a stand, and or a patchbay?
For me this is important, especially at that price point, but I guess for those just using these consoles as summing systems, maybe it's not a big deal.
Although an integral patchbay would be nice for all. (even as an option)

I still see the Daking discrete console with it's full monitor section, patchabys, and stand, as the best buy out there for the money?
Although I guess it's not the flavor of the month?
Any thoughts.
Old 13th September 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
I was thinking the other day that there is quite a lot of these small format consoles being offered these last few months. And common among them is a fairly high asking price for what is in fact not a complete system as I see it.
None of the above, that I know of are offering full monitoring (24 tracks) a stand, and or a patchbay?
For me this is important, especially at that price point, but I guess for those just using these consoles as summing systems, maybe it's not a big deal.
Although an integral patchbay would be nice for all. (even as an option)

I still see the Daking discrete console with it's full monitor section, patchabys, and stand, as the best buy out there for the money?
Although I guess it's not the flavor of the month?
Any thoughts.
I hear ya..makes sense to methumbsup
Old 13th September 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
TornadoTed's Avatar
I agree totally. If I had the money, which is a big stretch of the imagination! I'd take the Daking over the other offerings.

They would all be great as front end/summing devices but the Daking is the only 'real' console out of the lot of them IMHO
Old 13th September 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
robmix's Avatar
And that's whay I chose the Daking. Sounds as good or better than anything else out there, and apart from the desire for more sends, does everything I'd ever ask a console to do.

I still lust after a Chandler and/or Wunder but for me they'll simply be sidecars for a different flavor when tracking or mixing. Daking and a Chandler side-by-side . . . . very sexy and a huge variety of sounds.
Old 13th September 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Fishmed's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
I was thinking the other day that there is quite a lot of these small format consoles being offered these last few months. And common among them is a fairly high asking price for what is in fact not a complete system as I see it.
None of the above, that I know of are offering full monitoring (24 tracks) a stand, and or a patchbay?
For me this is important, especially at that price point, but I guess for those just using these consoles as summing systems, maybe it's not a big deal.
Although an integral patchbay would be nice for all. (even as an option)

I still see the Daking discrete console with it's full monitor section, patchabys, and stand, as the best buy out there for the money?
Although I guess it's not the flavor of the month?
Any thoughts.
It would seem if they put everything on it, they would have to raise the price even more, and I bet they are thinking if you want everything in one unit, for the price, you could just get a full desk.

I do hear what you are saying though.
Old 13th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Is the Daking really in the Trident a range sonically ?
Old 13th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 

Let's not forget that many are not yet available or have net yet shipped to a single customer.

Count me as a very happy Daking customer.
Attached Thumbnails
Daking, Wunder, Chandler, Api, Neve, etc, etc,-poorly-lit-console-left-angle-small.jpg  

Last edited by Mike O; 13th September 2007 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Attach picture
Old 13th September 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
I was thinking the other day that there is quite a lot of these small format consoles being offered these last few months. And common among them is a fairly high asking price for what is in fact not a complete system as I see it.
This small-format, console by ADT audio, Germany has been around before any of those mentioned here and offers all the standard, and not so standard (large-format) console features.

All In-line channels, 5.1 panning on every channel, patch bay, optional Dynamics module, mute and gain automation, stereo sub-groups, complete 5.1 master section, headphone sends with amps, 16 record busses...............the list is very long, and as you can see, it comes with a stand.

Based on all it's features, options, quality and price, it gets my vote.

The ADT-Audio SRC5.1
Old 13th September 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
This small-format, console by ADT audio, Germany has been around before any of those mentioned here and offers all the standard, and not so standard (large-format) console features.

All In-line channels, 5.1 panning on every channel, patch bay, optional Dynamics module, mute and gain automation, stereo sub-groups, complete 5.1 master section, headphone sends with amps, 16 record busses...............the list is very long, and as you can see, it comes with a stand.

Based on all it's features, options, quality and price, it gets my vote.

The ADT-Audio SRC5.1
Fearture loaded to be sure. But at what price?

Also, I looked for the U.S. distributor, but they appear to sell direct only. No big deal (I purchased my Daking direct), but how is the support in the U.S.? Most importantly, are there any installed in the U.S. so anyone here can hear/audition one?

Sorry if that comes across as U.S. centric, but those are real issues for me and many others stateside.
Old 13th September 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
soupking's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
This small-format, console by ADT audio, Germany has been around before any of those mentioned here and offers all the standard, and not so standard (large-format) console features.

All In-line channels, 5.1 panning on every channel, patch bay, optional Dynamics module, mute and gain automation, stereo sub-groups, complete 5.1 master section, headphone sends with amps, 16 record busses...............the list is very long, and as you can see, it comes with a stand.

Based on all it's features, options, quality and price, it gets my vote.

The ADT-Audio SRC5.1
thumbsup Me too.

Anybody who can build modular automation has things pretty sorted out if you ask me.

ADT can build an entire 8 channel mixer in practically 2 rack units.
Old 13th September 2007
  #11
Gear Nut
 

RE: JackP & Trident Sonic quality

Our consoles are as close to the "A" Range as possible. The circuit is identical, taken from original schematics and confirmed by checking against modules from Lenny Kravitz's "A" Range. Die hard Trident lovers say that the sound is the same, ask Wittman.

The differences are:
The input transformer is a Jensen.
The 4 original eq frequencies in each band are there plus one more for overlapping.
The inductors for the mid range are larger and have been "gapped" a little to provide more headroom.
Ours are much more stable and quiet than the originals.

We have not "improved" on the original design by adding ic's and dif amps as some other manufacturers.


Geoff
Old 13th September 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
Fearture loaded to be sure. But at what price?
Cost will depend on the options of course, but the cost per channel is quiet reasonable, and I think a campararable system is less expensive than the competition.

Quote:
Also, I looked for the U.S. distributor, but they appear to sell direct only. No big deal (I purchased my Daking direct), but how is the support in the U.S.? Most importantly, are there any installed in the U.S. so anyone here can hear/audition one?
I don't know of any consoles in the US but you should give them a call.

Quote:
Sorry if that comes across as U.S. centric, but those are real issues for me and many others stateside.
From personal experience, I know they are very good with support, always helpful, and will do what it takes to keep your console running.
Old 13th September 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
Daking Club

Call this the Daking Club. I am another Daking owner and it is a pleasure to work on.

Future upgrades that I could use are the 24 track monitor, automation(if cost justified - recall would be nice) on the console, and it wouldn't hurt to have a couple of more Fx sends returns. For now, I print FX I want from an outboard source to the Daw and bring that with other FX back thru a pair of channels.


Thanks Geoff for a realy nice console. By the way, I so a brief not from you in TapeOp about dumping on most tracks from 50 hz on down. Excellent suggestion and something is overlooked. Get rid of frequency info you do not need.

Jeff Oliver (Ollie)

The first rule of Daking Club, is we don't talk about Daking club!
Old 13th September 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
crypticglobe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
I was thinking the other day that there is quite a lot of these small format consoles being offered these last few months. And common among them is a fairly high asking price for what is in fact not a complete system as I see it.
None of the above, that I know of are offering full monitoring (24 tracks) a stand, and or a patchbay?
For me this is important, especially at that price point, but I guess for those just using these consoles as summing systems, maybe it's not a big deal.
Although an integral patchbay would be nice for all. (even as an option)

I still see the Daking discrete console with it's full monitor section, patchabys, and stand, as the best buy out there for the money?
Although I guess it's not the flavor of the month?
Any thoughts.

The Wunderbar is inline. So it has full monitoring. Assuming they can ever get one built and shipped.

The Chandler will have a monitoring section that is optional. It could be the best one I have ever seen if Wade does what he is talking about doing.

Stand?

Well... I guess every one who wants a console in this size/price range wants something slightly different in implementation. Seems wise to leave it open to the customer. I mean... heck... you probably aren't going to pay much more to have something custom done that what it would cost one of these manufacturers to add it in.

Anyway... The Daking does look very cool too. For all the talk about how the "A-Range" consoles were the true holy grail... I wonder why the Daking stuff isn't more popular. I used some of the old Daking channel strips (that look like big Neve's with the dual concentric knobs)... and at the time I thought they sounded very good. However... I guess I need to go back and try em again and see how they compare to other things I have and love.

jmtc...
Old 13th September 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Mike O's Avatar
 

Quote:
The Wunderbar is inline. So it has full monitoring. Assuming they can ever get one built and shipped.
Yep, I just checked my email from 11/16/2007 last year Mike at VK. I was offerred a visit to the shop in Texas to check out the prototype. Ended up declining the offer. Comparisons really are very difficult. And users of course have to choose what they value. 4 busses (plus the stereo) was not enough for me. I also find the in-line arrangement less flexible (expecially at mix time).

Quote:
The Chandler will have a monitoring section that is optional. It could be the best one I have ever seen if Wade does what he is talking about doing.
Also not available. When I ordered the Daking I was aware this was coming, but (to everyone's credit) they would not really discuss much; especially when. As you know (maybe better than anyone but Wade) it's still in the design stage.

jmtc...[/QUOTE]

So my guess is these (and API 1608) might ship 1st Quarter of '08. No need to wait....Geoff will take your call.
Old 14th September 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
themaidsroom's Avatar
 

i love my daking console........it sounds good......it gets better with time....
i am about to add another 8 -16 channels......


as far as looks, it is bardot and the others, suzzane summers at best





be well


- jack
Old 14th September 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
robmix's Avatar
Hey Jack, are you adding a Daking sidecar or actually stretching your frame ? Just curious about the actual build.

Thanks.
Old 14th September 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
Is the Daking really in the Trident a range sonically ?
Where in the world did you hear that?
Old 14th September 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
themaidsroom's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
Hey Jack, are you adding a Daking sidecar or actually stretching your frame ? Just curious about the actual build.

Thanks.
i think i am going to stretch the frame, or should i say, move a wall and stretch
the frame.....



be well
over yonder


- jack
Old 14th September 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

someday....someday.

really the ONLY large console i will ever own again.

i had an ssl 4056, trident 80....both great desks....LOTS of maintenance...old.

just love the daking stuff...the few desks/sidcars i have used have been wonderful.

i truly cannot make records without my daking pres and comps...

building out a new room right now...leaving plenty of room for a daking !!

would love to join the "daking club" soon !!

jchristopherhughes
Old 14th September 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
crypticglobe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post

Also not available.
Oh..... your original post didn't indicate that you were looking to buy something, much less right away. Seemed more hypothetical to me (which there is a lot of on this forum).

I will say if you want something today... Daking is really, really compelling. The Tape-Op Daking is on ebay right now... Guess you all knew that though.

The one other thing I wonder about the Daking (since you have posted Geoff, you can consider this a direct question)... is if it's possible to retrofit it easily with a moving fader automation package. And if so... what are the choices? New flying faders that I am aware of are in many cases more expensive than this console!


p.s. @knobtwiddler: So you are thinking of replacing the TLA VTC?? How has that thing been working for ya? I never actually tried the console, but I was just not real impressed with the standalone gear. They NAILED the workflow with that console though! Simple, easy, inline... perfect. Why doesn't everyone realize how valuable this kind of setup is to the tracking engineer???

Thanks,
Old 14th September 2007
  #22
Lives for gear
Dang!!! I just love the Daking Comps. They sound great on electric guitar and on the 2 buss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
someday....someday.

really the ONLY large console i will ever own again.

i had an ssl 4056, trident 80....both great desks....LOTS of maintenance...old.

just love the daking stuff...the few desks/sidcars i have used have been wonderful.

i truly cannot make records without my daking pres and comps...

building out a new room right now...leaving plenty of room for a daking !!

would love to join the "daking club" soon !!

jchristopherhughes
Old 14th September 2007
  #23
I'm drooling over the Rupert Neve Designs console. I'd get a 32 fader if I had the dough.
Old 14th September 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Dang!!! I just love the Daking Comps. They sound great on electric guitar and on the 2 buss.

yup !!

when budget does not allow mixing on a desk...my solution has been PROTOOLS out to a ROLLS fulcrom with my daking pre/eq's as makeup gain...and then to my daking comps....AWESOME !!

i can't imagine having 24 ch of that great EQ and a full desk !!

ollie, i think i emailed you last year...would love to come down and check out your room...and your daking someday !!

peace

jchristopherhughes
Old 14th September 2007
  #25
Lives for gear
Have you listened to this RND? I would guess it is a cleaner sounding console not like a vintage Neve. I do loves the vintage Neves. My buddy has one that adds a real cool color to the mix that is magical. The snare drum has more depth, the guitars sound fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
I'm drooling over the Rupert Neve Designs console. I'd get a 32 fader if I had the dough.
Old 14th September 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
We will have to set up time

Yep, we will have to set up a time for you to come down and play some. Feel free to PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
yup !!

when budget does not allow mixing on a desk...my solution has been PROTOOLS out to a ROLLS fulcrom with my daking pre/eq's as makeup gain...and then to my daking comps....AWESOME !!

i can't imagine having 24 ch of that great EQ and a full desk !!

ollie, i think i emailed you last year...would love to come down and check out your room...and your daking someday !!

peace

jchristopherhughes
Old 14th September 2007
  #27
Gear Nut
 

Dakikng Console and Automation

Flying Faders is the only system still manufactured. There are plenty of used systems out there including GML.

Any of them will fit in the console. We will be happy to design and build custom fader panels.
Old 14th September 2007
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Have you listened to this RND? I would guess it is a cleaner sounding console not like a vintage Neve. I do loves the vintage Neves. My buddy has one that adds a real cool color to the mix that is magical. The snare drum has more depth, the guitars sound fantastic.
I haven't heard the console, but it's supposed to be based on Rupert's new line of gear (i.e. Portico) so based on hearing that, I would assume it would sound great. Just dreamin...
Old 14th September 2007
  #29
Gear Maniac
 

The console is based on his traditional designs (different than the Portico Range), although able to incorporate Porticos for various processing tasks. Entirely discrete with Rupert's custom designed transformers on every input and output. It also has +/-45v rails for gobs of headroom!

Best,

Josh
Old 14th September 2007
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRND View Post
The console is based on his traditional designs (different than the Portico Range), although able to incorporate Porticos for various processing tasks. Entirely discrete with Rupert's custom designed transformers on every input and output. It also has +/-45v rails for gobs of headroom!
Thanks Josh
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jamesosullivan1 / High end
29
Krubbadoo / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump