The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API A2D & Clock Question. Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

API A2D & Clock Question.

Since i need a high quality, versatile pre & hi quality converters, i'm thinking this is a good solution.
Opinions?
Also, i'm thinking i can go into my Motu 1224 via the AES, to get into Digital Performer. The API has AES.
Is that correct?
Those are the only pieces that will be in the digital chain so do i need an external clock just to run these two together?
Or is it just a question of improving the sound because the clock in the 1224 is low quality?
Thanks
Old 13th September 2007
It has AES and SPDIF. I just got mine, and am really loving it for makeup gain out of a Folcrom back into my DAW.

I run the SPDIF into an RME FF800 and set the RME to external clock. The API likes to be the master, otherwise you have to use a Superclock compatible signal via the BNC connector. I had no problem with this SPDIF setup, worked like a champ!
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

Yeah, don't get a master clock, there are far better things to spend your money on.

Also, the fact that it only accepts superclock is a total drag...but it won't matter in your case.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I tried an A2D and on the first day I had it the power switch broke, which did not instill much confidence in me. I know API makes good stuff, note to API; don't water down your excellent pres and other designs with chinese switches that won't last, it isn't worth it for lost consumer confidence to save .02 on a switch. That's my .02.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search