The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Pre Dynamics Plugins
Old 12th September 2007
  #1
Gear Head
 
landshark's Avatar
 

Guitar Pre

Hi Everyone.
Searching around the forum and trying to decide on a pair of guitar pres.
I like the Chandler TG-2 but was wondering about something with eq in it.

So I'm looking at:
Chandler Limited TG Channel MKII Pre and EQ
Chandler Limited Germanium Tone Control EQ
and the Aurora GTQ2mkIII

I record clean to metal so best all around would be great.

Thanks once again for all your help.
Old 12th September 2007
  #2
The Aurora audio is an excellent pre.

The Tone Control is an EQ, not a pre. Chandler is releasing the Germanius Maximus channel strip which features a Germ Pre, Tone Control style EQ, and the Germ compressor all together; not sure if that would be overkill for you or not.

I'd also suggest looking into 500 series units (especially by API, Great River, and A Designs); you can really put together some amazing pre/EQ combinations for reasonable money this way, and it's great for expanding your setup as you go.

Cory
Old 12th September 2007
  #3
Gear Head
 
landshark's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post
The Aurora audio is an excellent pre.

The Tone Control is an EQ, not a pre. Chandler is releasing the Germanius Maximus channel strip which features a Germ Pre, Tone Control style EQ, and the Germ compressor all together; not sure if that would be overkill for you or not.

I'd also suggest looking into 500 series units (especially by API, Great River, and A Designs); you can really put together some amazing pre/EQ combinations for reasonable money this way, and it's great for expanding your setup as you go.

Cory
Thanks for the quick reply.
I thought the Germanium tone control had the pre gain and feedback controls!!
Old 16th September 2007
  #4
I'd got with a lunchbox. The API pre's and EQ's are great on electric guitars.
Old 16th September 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
seaneldon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
I thought the Germanium tone control had the pre gain and feedback controls!!
nope. you can hit the germanium amplifier as hard or soft as you want, just like on the mic pre, but the Tone Control is an equalizer for line level sources.

if you put the microphone in the right spot on the right speaker with the right player you'll find yourself reaching for EQ less and less.
Old 16th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Audio Hombre's Avatar
 

If your looking at Chandler, don't forget the LTD-1. That thing is my fave guitar channel.
Old 16th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
Hi Everyone.
Searching around the forum and trying to decide on a pair of guitar pres.
I like the Chandler TG-2 but was wondering about something with eq in it.

So I'm looking at:
Chandler Limited TG Channel MKII Pre and EQ
Chandler Limited Germanium Tone Control EQ
and the Aurora GTQ2mkIII

I record clean to metal so best all around would be great.

Thanks once again for all your help.
I wouldn't use any of those
definetely not a chandler


pacifca for clean gtr
api for smooth leads
neve for crunch
isa110 for even more crunch
Old 16th September 2007
  #8
Allen Collins says "no chandler"
Michael Wagener says the TG Channel is ""The best piece of new gear made!"
you do the math

Old 16th September 2007
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
Allen Collins says "no chandler"
Michael Wagener says the TG Channel is ""The best piece of new gear made!"
you do the math


And one of these guys is on my ignore list. The other is on my list to watch every post from and has recorded some of the biggest names in the industry.... hummmm who to believe, who to believe... hard to call that one........


Old 17th September 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
china jam's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
And one of these guys is on my ignore list. The other is on my list to watch every post from and has recorded some of the biggest names in the industry.... hummmm who to believe, who to believe... hard to call that one........


Haa, allencollins does come across a bit senile but landshark did ask for opinons.

My opinion is that I really like using the Germanium pre on guitars and I can't see why anyone would disagree!
Old 17th September 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
DAWgEAR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
And one of these guys is on my ignore list. The other is on my list to watch every post from and has recorded some of the biggest names in the industry.... hummmm who to believe, who to believe... hard to call that one........


thumbsup
Old 17th September 2007
  #12
Gear Addict
 
nicpope's Avatar
 

I don't know what the EQ sounds like on the TG Channel, but I have used the TG2 pre quite a bit. I'm a big big fan of it for guitar. Definitely a great choice.
Old 17th September 2007
  #13
Gear Addict
 

I have most of them mentioned and here's my favorite guitar setup. Chandler Royer 121 through Chandler TG2 combined with a 57 through a Chandler Germ. I went through all my other Neve's, API's, Chandlers and this is what I came up with that I like best. I seldom use eq while tracking guitars and can usually get what I need just blending the two mics. I did a session the other day at someone elses studio and we threw a germ tone control on a Tele track I was cutting to fatten it up a little and it was a pretty amazing eq.
Old 17th September 2007
  #14
Funny. i've ended up pretty close to the same thing.

Lately I've been using a 121 into a TG-2, with a 421 into a Germ Pre.

I've been varying the compression that follows deepending on what's already in use.
Old 17th September 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 

I love my PM-1000 for heavy guitars. Idylldon did a hell of a job building it, I must say.
Old 17th September 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
dubrichie's Avatar
alrighty,

here's yet another opinion / option, just to confuse you more.

the Daking mic pre / EQ is my new best friend JUST because of what it can do to an electric guitar sound.

i swear on whatever you dare me to that it is simply amazing at this task.

why? the EQ!

never again will you have to spend agonizing hours trying to get a 57 to sound DECENT, PROPER, PROFESSIONAL, etc. on a goddamn guitar amp.

just last night i was tracking a band and for the e. guitar i simply stuck a 57 in front of the amp and walked away, never to return.

plug that mic into the Daking and just turn the knobs on the EQ for a few seconds until BAM! holy grail guitar tone.

nothing more to it. no fancy mics or voodoo techniques.

that feckin 57 actually produced a sound that had LIFE, TONE and, ack, what to call it... instant WHO.

that's right, The Who.

try it. they are very reasonably priced and kick almighty arse.

just for some context, the amp was a tiny little VOX (one of the new ones, dunno which exactly) and i am using the Daking side by side with Wunder, Neve, DAV and SSL pres and EQs.

it brought the 57 TO LIFE!

i have NEVER heard a 57 give this kind of sound before. except for the last time i plugged one into a Daking.

i am just an honest happy user, not any kind of dealer / pusher / whatever.

the Daking changed my life by making me feel totally confident in my ability to get an ALMIGHTY guitar tone out of a goddamn flat-as-a-pancake, "why do people always use these damn things on amps" 57.

suck it and see.

instant Who. on Whos Next. Won't Get Fooled Again. from a tiny solid state amp, with a DAMN 57 just thrown at it, with less than a minute of playing with the EQ.

the first time you try it is like having a weight lifted off your shoulders.

i'm gonna shut up now before i come across a total muppet.

and besides, i'd like to get nearly 3 hours of sleep before i gotta be back in the studio for another all-nighter.

dig.

best of luck with your search.
Old 17th September 2007
  #17
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
I've found the Chandler "tone control" and the Manley "Massive Passive" to be my two favorite "go to" units for loud guitar EQ... though I haven't been able to afford to replace my "Massive Passive" I have been using the "Mini-Massive" and on many [MANY] guitar sounds it is a joy to behold.

As always, YMMV.

Peace.
Old 17th September 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
Allen Collins says "no chandler"
Michael Wagener says the TG Channel is ""The best piece of new gear made!"
you do the math

everybody's x you can be follower I let my ears make my decisions
I don't care who uses what, I don't like chandler. API 512 and isa110's are way better for gtr than those units.
I'm actually a big fan of Michael Wagener's work. accept is one of my favorite bands
I think the gtr sound on Restless and Wild is tops same with No more tears. But one thing is for sure he didn't use a chandler on those recordings..

So all the great gtr sounds in history. VanHalenI and II, toys in the attic, Blizzard of ozz, Ride the Lightening blahblahblah I bet would have all sounded better with a TG Channel ? hmmm. I think not


those sound crappy and you are a follower, Maybe chandler's next pre can be called "sheep" You and Roger Waters could rerecord the Animals cd with the chandler Sheep pre

The bottom line is API's and 110's are on hundreds if not thousands of Gold records
I wonder how many gold disks bear that awesome chandler tg sound? no 100's thats for sure


I think chandler is soon becoming the next hyped up thing like protools
Old 17th September 2007
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
everybody's x you can be follower I let my ears make my decisions
I don't care who uses what, I don't like chandler. API 512 and isa110's are way better for gtr than those units.
I'm actually a big fan of Michael Wagener's work. accept is one of my favorite bands
I think the gtr sound on Restless and Wild is tops same with No more tears. But one thing is for sure he didn't use a chandler on those recordings..

So all the great gtr sounds in history. VanHalenI and II, toys in the attic, Blizzard of ozz, Ride the Lightening blahblahblah I bet would have all sounded better with a TG Channel ? hmmm. I think not


those sound crappy and you are a follower, Maybe chandler's next pre can be called "sheep" You and Roger Waters could rerecord the Animals cd with the chandler Sheep pre

The bottom line is API's and 110's are on hundreds if not thousands of Gold records
I wonder how many gold disks bear that awesome chandler tg sound? no 100's thats for sure


I think chandler is soon becoming the next hyped up thing like protools
Baaah!

I offered no opinion whatsoever. I said,"Allen Collins says "no chandler"
Michael Wagener says the TG Channel is ""The best piece of new gear made!"

Are either of those statements incorrect?

The fact is Wagener's 50 million + discography featuring some of the finest guitar tones ever captured goes a long way.
I'm not sure I've heard any of your work?

"The bottom line is API's and 110's are on hundreds if not thousands of Gold records" true enough, I guess you're not against ALL conventional wisdom huh?
I could say the same thing about fender basses couldn't I? But that would make me a sheep, right?
Old 17th September 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

Come down guys...

Its all about opinions, so why start fighting?

A preamp won´t sell a gold record. And a person who had more success must not be wiser, espacially when its all about personal taste...

Chandler is very hyped at the moment...
There are many good pres out there and recording guitar is so much more about guitars, amps, stomp boxes and guitar players than preamps, isn´t it?

Peace
Old 17th September 2007
  #21
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
Come down guys...

Its all about opinions, so why start fighting?

A preamp won´t sell a gold record. And a person who had more success must not be wiser, espacially when its all about personal taste...

Chandler is very hyped at the moment...
There are many good pres out there and recording guitar is so much more about guitars, amps, stomp boxes and guitar players than preamps, isn´t it?

Peace
agreed!!!

everyone has their opinon. I have mine you have yours.
cool use your chandlers. Ill use the api nevefocusrite and the pacifica. The guy asked what preamp to use I gave my opinion. I bet half you guys don't even own or have even heard a chandler tg.

I'm curious is it ok if I use a neve on gtr's ? or is that not allowed since the chandler is the staple for tracking gtr ??
Old 17th September 2007
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

Yeah, its always this black/white thing in here. Chandler comes popular and than for many its the only preamp... but why often? Letters in an online world....
Even if you hear a single clip demonstration, how sits it well when stackin 2guitars left right while reamping through 3 amps.... maybe the first impression of the single track wont fit the stacked guitar thing.
For me, I´m always interested in new opinions and than i try to test it. I heard so many discussions of gotogear and than rented it and thought "what??" why should i use this. Too many discussions are word of mouth, i think.
I think that Neve and Telefunken recorded much more albums than anything, but is it my favourite because of this? I dont know...we´re caught in a spiders web...
Old 17th September 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Audio Hombre's Avatar
 

i just stated that the chandler LTD1 is my fave right now but i use whatever i can because i don't own a chandler.ill gladly use api,neve or an isa but while i prefer chandler at the moment id never say something as idiotic as chandler is crap or anyting along those lines compared to brand a b c.

Quote:
allencollins - Maybe chandler's next pre can be called "sheep" You and Roger Waters could rerecord the Animals cd with the chandler Sheep pre
i guess the same could be said for the next a-designs pre
Old 17th September 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
I think that Neve and Telefunken recorded much more albums than anything
I think it depends on the era. I would say maybe in the 70's neve but api's were a staple in 70's studios. In the late early 80's through 1990 it was all SSL
There are so many consoles.
Old 17th September 2007
  #25
Lives for gear
 
china jam's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
Chandler is very hyped at the moment...
Have you used Chandler stuff? If you have then I guess you didn't like..if you haven't then you really can't comment on whether it is indeed hyped or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
those sound crappy and you are a follower, Maybe chandler's next pre can be called "sheep" You and Roger Waters could rerecord the Animals cd with the chandler Sheep pre
These things you say are simply ridiculous, you're clearly a big shot.
Old 17th September 2007
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I've found the Chandler "tone control" and the Manley "Massive Passive" to be my two favorite "go to" units for loud guitar EQ... though I haven't been able to afford to replace my "Massive Passive" I have been using the "Mini-Massive" and on many [MANY] guitar sounds it is a joy to behold.

As always, YMMV.

Peace.
What happened to the Lil Freq?
Old 18th September 2007
  #27
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
Allen Collins says "no chandler"
Michael Wagener says the TG Channel is ""The best piece of new gear made!"
you do the math

Hey just a simple reminder. Please ad the TG to your gear list
looks like you forgot it.......

about me
Old 18th September 2007
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Hey just a simple reminder. Please ad the TG to your gear list
looks like you forgot it.......

about me

Is that about me about you? It says MO and your avatar says MA.

I just listened to Generation Hate all the way through.

It's so over the top I'm not clear what my opinoin of it is, but I love the two or three vocal lines where the guy sounds like he's vomiting.

Did they really have the energy to do that all the way through as a live take or is that a lot of punched overdubs?
Old 18th September 2007
  #29
Lives for gear
 
china jam's Avatar
 

I think you're caning the wrong bloke.
Old 18th September 2007
  #30
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Is that about me about you? It says MO and your avatar says MA.

I just listened to Generation Hate all the way through.

It's so over the top I'm not clear what my opinoin of it is, but I love the two or three vocal lines where the guy sounds like he's vomiting.

Did they really have the energy to do that all the way through as a live take or is that a lot of punched overdubs?
I think your confused...............ouch
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jason Poulin / So much gear, so little time
6
Drifter / So much gear, so little time
10
Hover25 / Low End Theory
14
runamuck / High end
30

Forum Jump
Forum Jump