The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Pre Dynamics Plugins
Old 18th September 2007
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Hey just a simple reminder. Please ad the TG to your gear list
looks like you forgot it.......

about me
I offered no opinion whatsoever. I said,"Allen Collins says "no chandler"
Michael Wagener says the TG Channel is ""The best piece of new gear made!"

Are either of those statements incorrect?
Old 18th September 2007
  #32
And BTW "Allen" I am not ashamed of who I am or what I do, anybody can check out where I'm coming from and hear my work.

I run a small demo studio in KC, I never said I had a TG Channel I said if I was going to take someone's advise between MW and you I'd go with Michael.



I do need to update my gearlist, thanks for reminding me!
http://www.allcapsrecording.com/about_me.html


As far as the Godzai song, yes he can do that in one take, but you are hearing several.

Last edited by everybody's x; 18th September 2007 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: updated my gear list!
Old 18th September 2007
  #33
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
I'm still waiting for you to tell me what I said that was incorrect.

And BTW "Allen" I am not ashamed of who I am or what I do, anybody can check out where I'm coming from and hear my work.

I run a small demo studio in KC, I never said I had a TG Channel I said if I was going to take someone's advise between MW and you I'd go with Michael.

Still haven't heard your stuff, just read lots of posts that defy almost all conventional recording wisdom. I guess you're just too awesome for us to handle.

I do need to update my gearlist, thanks for reminding me!
http://www.allcapsrecording.com/about_me.html


As far as the Godzai song, yes he can do that in one take, but you are hearing two.

I'm not sure if I find that funny... or if I think you have far too much time on your hands.... it was kinda funny.
Old 18th September 2007
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
I'm not sure if I find that funny... or if I think you have far too much time on your hands.... it was kinda funny.
two seconds with a text editor

I know I'm just being stupid now.... I just find it funny that he is attacking me for quoting him
Old 18th September 2007
  #35
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
two seconds with a text editor

I know I'm just being stupid now.... I just find it funny that he is attacking me for quoting him
ha... it really was quite funny to me, I went into it fully expecting it to be a full list of your gear.
Old 18th September 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by china jam View Post
Have you used Chandler stuff? If you have then I guess you didn't like..if you haven't then you really can't comment on whether it is indeed hyped or not.
I didn´t want to judge the quality of Chandler gear. I just wanted to point out that they are "in". Maybe hyped has a wrong association with bad quality, but ididnt want to say this. Peace
Old 18th September 2007
  #37
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
And BTW "Allen" I am not ashamed of who I am or what I do, anybody can check out where I'm coming from and hear my work.

I run a small demo studio in KC, I never said I had a TG Channel I said if I was going to take someone's advise between MW and you I'd go with Michael.



I do need to update my gearlist, thanks for reminding me!
http://www.allcapsrecording.com/about_me.html


As far as the Godzai song, yes he can do that in one take, but you are hearing several.

cool your in KC? Know Chapman sound?

"posts that defy almost all conventional recording wisdom"

care to elaborate? So recommending an API over a TG for gtrs is unconventional?
recommending a quad8 for clean gtr is unconventional? I think most of us would agree the Wall
has one if not the best clean gtr sounds ever?

where was the TG on all the classic gtr rock cd's??? it was nowhere. Your a fool
and quit hiding behind other people's opinions. I still bet you never even heard one.


dude the TG is cheezy. If you want to sound like the Byrds or hermin hermits cool buy one.
Ill stick with what works for me
Old 18th September 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
dude the TG is cheezy. Get an ISA110
If you like the sound of chips.
Old 18th September 2007
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
cool your in KC? Know Chapman sound?
intimately
Old 18th September 2007
  #40
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
intimately
is mike fraser still there?
Old 18th September 2007
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
I think most of us would agree the Wall
has one if not the best clean gtr sounds ever?
Priceless
Old 18th September 2007
  #42
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Jerry... jerry... jerry... jerry...
Old 18th September 2007
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
is mike fraser still there?
he's in Branson now I believe
Old 18th September 2007
  #44
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
cool your in KC? Know Chapman sound?

"posts that defy almost all conventional recording wisdom"

care to elaborate? So recommending an API over a TG for gtrs is unconventional?
recommending a quad8 for clean gtr is unconventional? I think most of us would agree the Wall
has one if not the best clean gtr sounds ever?

where was the TG on all the classic gtr rock cd's??? it was nowhere. Your a fool
and quit hiding behind other people's opinions. I still bet you never even heard one.


dude the TG is cheezy. If you want to sound like the Byrds or hermin hermits cool buy one.
Ill stick with what works for me

dudes... you guys are both nuts. APIs are great, Chandlers are great, quad eights are great. why are you splitting hairs?

I would hope that at least you realize Allen, that Chandlers ARE really great units, even if you prefer other preamps.
The reason they are so big right now is because they have a lot of unique products. which is one reason I think they're cool, because they're a new spice to add to my rack.
as for your comment about the Byrds and hermins hermits, it doesn't make sense. how do you equate TG channel with hermins hermits? you may as well have compared it to white bread.
Old 18th September 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
So all the great gtr sounds in history. VanHalenI and II, toys in the attic, Blizzard of ozz, Ride the Lightening blahblahblah I bet would have all sounded better with a TG Channel ? hmmm. I think not


those sound crappy and you are a follower, Maybe chandler's next pre can be called "sheep" You and Roger Waters could rerecord the Animals cd with the chandler Sheep pre

The bottom line is API's and 110's are on hundreds if not thousands of Gold records
I wonder how many gold disks bear that awesome chandler tg sound? no 100's thats for sure


I think chandler is soon becoming the next hyped up thing like protools
Chandler TG is great stuff....but I also like your other suggestions...I would say you are probably into metal (just by your pic)...not sure if chandler is built for that
Old 18th September 2007
  #46
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
dudes... you guys are both nuts. APIs are great, Chandlers are great, quad eights are great. why are you splitting hairs?

I would hope that at least you realize Allen, that Chandlers ARE really great units, even if you prefer other preamps.
The reason they are so big right now is because they have a lot of unique products. which is one reason I think they're cool, because they're a new spice to add to my rack.
as for your comment about the Byrds and hermins hermits, it doesn't make sense. how do you equate TG channel with hermins hermits? you may as well have compared it to white bread.
honestly I don't know what I said Hermins Hermits. I just thought the TG I heard sounded like an old 60's preamp. It reminded me of Paul Revere and the Raiders or the Association gtr sound. Maybe Im mixing up models there are so many chandlers now. I thought the TG unit was modeled after the old EMI consoles.

The one I demoed sound just like that, OLD and like the emi sound. Which I hate for metal. It works for some stuff but I don't think it works for metal.

ya know I'm one for mixin things up and trying to be unpredictable with recording.
But some things just don't mix. Oil and Water Metal and EMI.........

This is just my opinion. I wish everyone would quit jumping down my throught.
Listen I'm sure the chandler stuff is really good to many folks' ears. I wasn't impressed. But one thing is for sure. If you took the top 1000 gold/platnium records of all time I bet none of them use a chandler product. I dare anyone to prove me wrong
Old 18th September 2007
  #47
Lives for gear
 
china jam's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
If you took the top 1000 gold/platnium records of all time I bet none of them use a chandler product. I dare anyone to prove me wrong
How many of them are going to be metal records!? You gooooon.
Old 18th September 2007
  #48
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
But one thing is for sure. If you took the top 1000 gold/platnium records of all time I bet none of them use an EMI product. I dare anyone to prove me wrong
OK this is just f-ing around with you a bit but...have you ever heard of the Beatles...Rolling Stones....Pink Floyd....all in good fun!

Nick
Old 18th September 2007
  #49
API's are awesome, I never said they weren't. I also like the OSA spinoffs (no eq though). I have used the single channel vintech neve clone and it's pretty cool too.
Old 18th September 2007
  #50
Lives for gear
 
pootkao's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
This is just my opinion. I wish everyone would quit jumping down my throught.
... ... If you took the top 1000 gold/platnium records of all time I bet none of them use a chandler product. I dare anyone to prove me wrong
(I can't believe I'm actually about to dive in on one of these threads...)

See, this sentance right here is a prime example of your great dilemna. You want respect for your opinions, but the way you present them is so full of bombast, ego and self-righteousness that it rubs everyone the wrong way. Every thread you post in turns into this suicidal spiral into miscommunication and accusations.

Tread lightly, my good sir. And you will both learn and be learned from.
Old 18th September 2007
  #51
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
honestly I don't know what I said Hermins Hermits. I just thought the TG I heard sounded like an old 60's preamp. It reminded me of Paul Revere and the Raiders or the Association gtr sound. Maybe Im mixing up models there are so many chandlers now. I thought the TG unit was modeled after the old EMI consoles.

The one I demoed sound just like that, OLD and like the emi sound. Which I hate for metal. It works for some stuff but I don't think it works for metal.

ya know I'm one for mixin things up and trying to be unpredictable with recording.
But some things just don't mix. Oil and Water Metal and EMI.........

This is just my opinion. I wish everyone would quit jumping down my throught.
Listen I'm sure the chandler stuff is really good to many folks' ears. I wasn't impressed. But one thing is for sure. If you took the top 1000 gold/platnium records of all time I bet none of them use a chandler product. I dare anyone to prove me wrong
I'm not trying to jump down your throat mate... but you're making some pretty intense statements about some good gear.

one thing I will correct you on, is that the TG channel while employing the preamps that were used in late 60s early 70s EMI consoles have an EQ section that was not.
The EQ section was designed by chandler. it is based on old concepts of course. but so are APIs and Neves for that matter.
its not your opinion i have a problem with, its the way you say it, and then your poor justifications. to say "I'm not a big fan of the chandler" is one thing. but saying "Chandler stuff is cheezy like hermins hermits" or "If you took the top 1000 gold/platnium records of all time I bet none of them use a chandler product"
is beyond silly.
the first one makes no sense, and the second one may or may not be true... but one could easily qualify that statement by reminding you that chandler limited has really only been around like 6 years, durring which time I can hardly imagine there were many platnium albums added to that top 1000 list, especially the way things are going with the record industry.
however, the products that chandler remakes or bases many of their products on have been on a good number of them.

anyway, i respect your opinion, really. but lets base our reasoning on reality, or at the very least... reason.
Old 19th September 2007
  #52
Gear Addict
 

Well, I've already stated my preferences, sheep like as they may be and I can assure anyone that may be interested that my conclusions are not dictated by the flavor of the week. As someone who's been playing guitar since the Beatles hit Ed Sullivan and recording since the late 70's I can tell you that my previously stated Chandler favorites came about after a month of extensive testing where I took every mic pre, mic, guitar, amp and speaker cab available to me and sought to find the best combinations. As for mic pre's these included Neve 1073, 1272, 3104, API 312, Chandler TG Channel, TG2, Germ and LTD 1.

First of all, great guitar tones resulted with every one of these pre's. If you can't get slamming sounds from this list then I'd say what's on the other side of the mic is your problem. Since I was on one of my anal gutar tone quests, my tests were purely for trying to eek out that extra 5% for what I like to hear. I have all the pre's mentioned and could use any of them at a moments notice and the TG2/ Royer 121 dead on the center with a Germ/ 57 (421 works too just a little different) off to the side where the dust cover meets the speaker sounded the best to me. Take it for what it's worth.

Since I've been really concentrating the last 6 months or so on the tracking aspect of my production I've listened to a lot of mic's and pre's not just on guitar, but on everything. The most important thing I've learned is that the most important factor is the player and works it's way down the line from there in level of importance. I know this seems obvious, but this is Gearslutz and we tend to place more importance on all the sexy boxes we run all this **** through. While all my testing has led to some great sounding pre's the improvements they contribute pale in comparison to the improvements offered by investing in first, great instruments and second, great microphones. The best kick in the ass for my drum sounds was by purchasing a great old Gretsch drum kit. Put a great player on them and it's pretty hard to make them sound bad regardless of what pre they are running through. Same goes with guitars and amps. Spend your bucks on a great amp and guitar and it still sounds great tracking through the pre's in even my mbox. All this scrutiny over the mic pre is really at best a 5% to 10% difference.
Old 19th September 2007
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M View Post
Well, I've already stated my preferences, sheep like as they may be and I can assure anyone that may be interested that my conclusions are not dictated by the flavor of the week. As someone who's been playing guitar since the Beatles hit Ed Sullivan and recording since the late 70's I can tell you that my previously stated Chandler favorites came about after a month of extensive testing where I took every mic pre, mic, guitar, amp and speaker cab available to me and sought to find the best combinations. As for mic pre's these included Neve 1073, 1272, 3104, API 312, Chandler TG Channel, TG2, Germ and LTD 1.

First of all, great guitar tones resulted with every one of these pre's. If you can't get slamming sounds from this list then I'd say what's on the other side of the mic is your problem. Since I was on one of my anal gutar tone quests, my tests were purely for trying to eek out that extra 5% for what I like to hear. I have all the pre's mentioned and could use any of them at a moments notice and the TG2/ Royer 121 dead on the center with a Germ/ 57 (421 works too just a little different) off to the side where the dust cover meets the speaker sounded the best to me. Take it for what it's worth.

Since I've been really concentrating the last 6 months or so on the tracking aspect of my production I've listened to a lot of mic's and pre's not just on guitar, but on everything. The most important thing I've learned is that the most important factor is the player and works it's way down the line from there in level of importance. I know this seems obvious, but this is Gearslutz and we tend to place more importance on all the sexy boxes we run all this **** through. While all my testing has led to some great sounding pre's the improvements they contribute pale in comparison to the improvements offered by investing in first, great instruments and second, great microphones. The best kick in the ass for my drum sounds was by purchasing a great old Gretsch drum kit. Put a great player on them and it's pretty hard to make them sound bad regardless of what pre they are running through. Same goes with guitars and amps. Spend your bucks on a great amp and guitar and it still sounds great tracking through the pre's in even my mbox. All this scrutiny over the mic pre is really at best a 5% to 10% difference.



Exactly, a preamp is just a small part of the equation particulary when we're talking about this level of quality.
Old 19th September 2007
  #54
Gear Addict
 

I should also add that the differences between the pre's that led me to my favorite setup were subtle at best (well, with the exception of cranking on the Germ with the pad and thick engaged that is). But there was a difference and small as it is I could hear it. Just like I think the TG2 sounds better to me on guitars than the TG Channel with no EQ engaged.
Old 19th September 2007
  #55
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Ive heard alot of recordings that used a TG. It has a distinct sound It definetly has a warm quality but if there is such a thing is too warm and saturated I think the TG is it. Same with the germanium. It's almost like people like that sound because is helps mask the 'digital' quality in thier recordings. Same reason many folks overcompress everything cuz it appears to warm things up. To me the TG sounds cheap I know this is taboo but to me many 60's recordings sound cheap in comparision to other decades.

I primarily use a MTR90 so warmth is not an issue for me. I look for a smooth sounding pre that compliments the analog tape source. I feel the TG and similar preamps are tricking peoples ears that something is now suddenly warm.

These pres have their own sound, they are colored and big but I still wouldn't use them or metal like this chap suggested.

I hate to say this but I think even an SSL pre sounds more metal than TG or germanium. Metal Gtr for the most part has scooped mids. The TG 's color is all mid it sounds like it has a builtin 3k boost or something which I hate for metal. The first thing I used to do on my marshalls was turn the bass and treble all the way up and turn the mids all the way down.

I know some folks like midrange in metal but I hate it It's all preference though. whatever........ happy recording
Old 19th September 2007
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Marlowe's Avatar
 

Chandler Channel would be my pick.

I love it for both electric and acoustic guitars.
Old 19th September 2007
  #57
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Ive heard alot of recordings that used a TG. It has a distinct sound It definetly has a warm quality but if there is such a thing is too warm and saturated I think the TG is it. Same with the germanium. It's almost like people like that sound because is helps mask the 'digital' quality in thier recordings. Same reason many folks overcompress everything cuz it appears to warm things up. To me the TG sounds cheap I know this is taboo but to me many 60's recordings sound cheap in comparision to other decades.

I primarily use a MTR90 so warmth is not an issue for me. I look for a smooth sounding pre that compliments the analog tape source. I feel the TG and similar preamps are tricking peoples ears that something is now suddenly warm.

These pres have their own sound, they are colored and big but I still wouldn't use them or metal like this chap suggested.

I hate to say this but I think even an SSL pre sounds more metal than TG or germanium. Metal Gtr for the most part has scooped mids. The TG 's color is all mid it sounds like it has a builtin 3k boost or something which I hate for metal. The first thing I used to do on my marshalls was turn the bass and treble all the way up and turn the mids all the way down.

I know some folks like midrange in metal but I hate it It's all preference though. whatever........ happy recording
TG is warm but that little zing in the top gives it some clarity that I like which works really great with the Royer. It also does a nice job adding a little air on a vocal as compared to something more Neve like. It's also become my pref on Toms as they stay deep and warm with just the right amount of stick, but that's my toms, my room. The Germ can get really wooly when you really crank it on and I find that nice on a dynamic like a 57 which always sound really mid peaky to me. The Germ really smooths that out. Whenever I cut metal tracks I usually use a pretty scooped sounding amp so I don't have a problem with the Chandlers for that. In fact I don't have a problem with any of the other pre's on guitar since I bought several great sounding amps. They all sound great and I wouldn't have a problem getting great results with all that have been mentioned.
Old 19th September 2007
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

A Chandler TG2 sounds great!
Old 22nd May 2008
  #59
Gear Head
 
tsol's Avatar
 

i had this guitar EQ dilemma running for about a week, finally i will be definitely going for the Chandler Tone Control EQ .

I've heard so much about it that i will be getting one eyes closed.

I own an LA-610SE as pre, the marriage of the two will make me a solid channel strip. I will be recording Gibsons and Fenders
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jason Poulin / So Much Gear, So Little Time
6
Drifter / So Much Gear, So Little Time
10
Hover25 / Low End Theory
14
runamuck / High End
30

Forum Jump
Forum Jump