The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Extending Studio Wiring
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Extending Studio Wiring

We are about to install a Neotek Elite console in the studio. The patchbay for the console is located on the right side, but all my wiring in the stuido currently terminates on the left size. I spoke with the installer (Mike Stoica at Neotek) and they said that is way to difficult to move the patchbay to the other side for this particular console. I need to extend a series of snakes that come from the live room and the effect racks to the new patchbay. Replacing these snakes is not a option. Mike said that we could splice more length to the existing snakes. If so, what is the best way to do this? Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks so much.
Old 8th November 2002
One with big hooves

I have some of the wiring in my place extended with XLR's on both ends. So far so good.
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

Is your wiring currently on Multi's or is it coming in on individual cables? Do the cables have connectors or were they soldered into your patchbay...

If it's all on individual's it may get tricky, but have you thought about implementing

A) ELCOs (with wiring coming into ELCO patch plate...then the ELCO(s) going to your new patchbay over mogami multipair cable...
B) DB-25s
C) your existing patchbay and ELCOs

ELCOs and 1/4" patchbays have the most surface area...

If you want good deals and
If you're in LA, go to Pacific Radio in Burbank... (www.pacrad.com) or Electronic City in Burbank...or you can order from them online...
Old 10th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Right now everything terminates to 1/4" male connectors to go into the patch bay. I considered just making the snakes from the new patchbay terminate to 1/4s and to plug into the existing patchbay, but that seems so redundant. Plus I worry about the longevity of that. Maybe an elco mounted panel would be the best way to go.

Any other suggestions. My console says that splicing the snake is the best way to go. I really don't know what would be involved in that so if anyone could explain the procedure, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 11th November 2002
One with big hooves

Using 2 sets of patchbays is not the way to go. Eventually somethings going to fail and it's gonna get messy to fix. So you have 1/4" on one end, what's on the other? If you have 1/4" TRS connectors it's not too hard to switch them all to XLR and order new snakes that terminate with Elco's or whatever you need.

A typical splice is just that. Splicing each line on the old snake to a new snake using solder and heat shrink. Lots of work and it can get messy but you save lots of money on connectors. Durability isn't really a factor because you won't be moving the snakes around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search