The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your Analogy? Mixers (Analog)
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

What's your Analogy?

Ok, so I'm preparing to upgrade the pre's in my project studio, where I currently use either the Mackie 1604 pre's or those in my Digimax FS. It is such a nebulous question to ask what "boutique pre" to purchase but I'm prepared to lay down the $$ for something good. Having never A/B'd a prosumer preamp like the Digimax or Mackie to a Neve or Vintech or some other high end pre...who can best describe what the difference will be like? I guess in my mind, I'm imagining an experience like going from a 27" tube tv to a 52" inch HD Plasma? How close am I?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Hey,

new here but I´ll give an answer...

I upgraded, if you can call it that, the other week. Been using my Onyx preamp for about a year and decided to take the step to a "high-end-pre".
And, man...! To me it´s a BIG difference.
Actually....you have to get one home to compare. For me it was worth the money.
For me, vocals are more up front, fuller....just sounds great.

/Fred
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict
heh heh, I'm in the same process, and I am wondering how to scale my expectations. The Mackie VLZ Pros are my norm as well. Ideally, I will hear a world of space and dimension from the Pacifica or API or Chandler or Great River or ADL...or....that the Mackie's have never even hinted at, and the difference won't be at all subtle. Reaistically, it's good to hold in mind that maybe it will take time to appreciate the upgrade, that the difference will be expressed in the cumulative effect on mixes as much as or more than in the immediate impact on tracks...but I'm with you. I don't know, and it is hard to find out--requires a lot of access and legwork. And it is a pressurized decision, as I don't reckon I'll be buying a lot more 2k pres...so...
+1
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

You also will notice a diffrence when you start to stack your tracks..
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
You also will notice a diffrence when you start to stack your tracks..

agreed. in fact, in some cases you might not notice much of a difference until you start stacking tracks but as they stack, you will definitely notice. if not, you need new monitors, a new room, or new ears
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

It is like getting a new lens on whatever camera you have. sort of.
Still up to you to get the composition right... still up to you to have the vision for where the project needs to go... just a better tool for realising that vision.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

a good pre reaches out of the speakers, lightly takes your chin in its hands, and forces you to stare deeply into its eyes as it sings directly to your insides.

a mediocre pre sits there while you stare blankly at it, searching for something to like.

the difference is the nature and level of engagement, and it is quite apart from the performance and tone of the source. when you capture a great moment with great gear, you have essentially bottled a small slice of heaven. bottle enough of them, blend them with mastery, add a touch of grace, and you will own the listener.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 12th September 2007
Mur
Here for the gear

I'd get Summit ..the dual with input and output attenuators ..very cool piece.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
a good pre reaches out of the speakers, lightly takes your chin in its hands, and forces you to stare deeply into its eyes as it sings directly to your insides.

a mediocre pre sits there while you stare blankly at it, searching for something to like.

the difference is the nature and level of engagement, and it is quite apart from the performance and tone of the source. when you capture a great moment with great gear, you have essentially bottled a small slice of heaven. bottle enough of them, blend them with mastery, add a touch of grace, and you will own the listener.

gregoire
del
ubk

I have *got* to start compiling this feller's posts. He never fails to amuse, and often educates.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search