The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
analog question!! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

analog question!!

Hi everybody!
I'm undecided which piece to get first. I'm planning to get both in the long term but need to decide on one for now. What would you guys do in my place?? I would appreciate it if you guys help me choose.

1. upgrade my studer a827 from 24 to 16 tracks (new head from jrf magnetics)or

2. get an atr102 1/2"

which one of the two options will improve my studio sonically more

thanks.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wait...NO....1

Ummm....On second thought....Both
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

[1. upgrade my studer a827 from 24 to 16 tracks (new head from jrf magnetics)

There was a time when this was not considered an upgrade,

I would DEFINTELY go to a studio with 16 tracks on an 827 over the Atr 1/2" anyday.
Yeah, 16 tracks of 827 at 15ips.....OMG!!!!

I prefer the Studer 820 1/2". Is solid and warmy...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hle144 View Post
I would DEFINTELY go to a studio with 16 tracks on an 827 over the Atr 1/2" anyday.

absolutely, agreed 100%.

having the studer's imprint on every individual track has a far greater sonic impact (and benefit imo) than just pushing a mix into tape. watch how much less compression you'll need on everything, watch it all just fall together.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 12th September 2007
member no 666

It's $3,500 PER HEAD [and you'll need 3 heads!!] for 8, 16 or 24 2" track heads... which means you're looking at $10,500 + the machine [say $15k + when all is said and done with inspecting the deck, transporting the deck, etc., etc., etc.]... plus tape, plus someone knowledgeable enough to do tape path alignments... plus an MRL tape to keep your machine aligned... oh, and an oscilloscope so you can do the azimuth adjustment... and the knowledge of how to do an azimuth adjustment... and then there be other care and feeding issues... so I have to ask... do you really think it's a wise investment?

I have always been a pretty die hard analog guy. Grew up with it, still own a multi-track tape machine and have found the RADAR V beats it in "head to head" simul recordings better than 80% of the time.

Something to consider? I dunno...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
It's $3,500 PER HEAD [and you'll need 3 heads!!]...do you really think it's a wise investment?

i'm not sure any of us would be anywhere near a recording studio if wisdom were the guiding factor...

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i'm not sure any of us would be anywhere near a recording studio if wisdom were the guiding factor...
heh

wow....

so true, it hurts...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

save the bucks, buy the ATR 102

Alas you would be a fool if you spent money buying a 16 track headstack for a machine that sounds great as a 24 track. the physics are the same - you get very minor improvements for a huge cost. In fact you could buy a second A827 24 track for the price of that headstack.

I highly suggest you buy an Ampex ATR 102 in either 1/4 inch 2 track or 1/2 inch two track... and use the remaining $ 7,000+ to buy more outboard gear.

Remember the physics are the same between 16 and 24 tracks - just slightly less noise on the 16 track and less drop-out problems. There's no 'magic' in a 16 track head over a 24 track head... you can make great wonderful and fat sounding recordings on either.... and if your work doesn't sound good on the 24 track, it won't sound any better on the 16 track... it's how you use the tools you have and your talent and skill, not the gear.

regards,

goreski
Old 12th September 2007
Mur
Here for the gear

Yep, leave it 24. And I'd skip the ATR-102 too, there are other options.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
If you want a meaningful opinion, then listen to Goreski. This guy knows his stuff.
A good mix down deck, and that is a wonderful deck, would be a great addition to your studio.

My buddy had a Radar, but comparing them the Radar side by side with tape going thru an API 2488, I still thought tape was more 3D. Just my opinion. We did it with Pro-tools as well and I thought the Radar was slightly better than the pro-tools, but with tape the sound stage seemed better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreski View Post
Alas you would be a fool if you spent money buying a 16 track headstack for a machine that sounds great as a 24 track. the physics are the same - you get very minor improvements for a huge cost. In fact you could buy a second A827 24 track for the price of that headstack.

I highly suggest you buy an Ampex ATR 102 in either 1/4 inch 2 track or 1/2 inch two track... and use the remaining $ 7,000+ to buy more outboard gear.

Remember the physics are the same between 16 and 24 tracks - just slightly less noise on the 16 track and less drop-out problems. There's no 'magic' in a 16 track head over a 24 track head... you can make great wonderful and fat sounding recordings on either.... and if your work doesn't sound good on the 24 track, it won't sound any better on the 16 track... it's how you use the tools you have and your talent and skill, not the gear.

regards,

goreski
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

i just realized i misread the question, it somehow got by me that OP already has a 24 track studer. so i am flipflopping, because in this case it seems a no-brainer.

iow, get the mixdown deck.

gregoire
del
ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search