The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just got a new u87 ai, what is the "charging time " ? 48v Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cane View Post
It defected to where? Maybe it's a commie mic! Hey, weren't those made in east berlin?
Ha! No, it's the Gefell that defected! You notice they make very few black mics. That's probably why they work all the time.
Old 13th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cane View Post
Same here. I guess nobody reads the thread, just keep posting answers. At least I hope that what's going on.
Nope, I read it, LMAO, then decided to resit the joking and see if I could lend a hand with a few questions geared toward the completely inexperienced. I have a little sympathy for that because he had the balls to post here in the high end.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

if the mic has the reflux capacitor installed the mic might blow up after long charge up
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

mr. gefell, who are those girls anyway? And are they pointing at a black Neumann mic?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Funniest thread I've read in ages!

Now- seriously... where are you sourcing the +48v from?
MBox, Phantom Box, Small mixer, Console, External Pre? Details or we cant help.

And for the record- I've come across a few knackered Silver 87s in my time too so it's not the colour
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

USBlink11,

During your phantom power testing, it is very important to remember to NOT have phantom power on while you are plugging or unplugging your mic. This can KILL a mic pre, or at least severely injure them which will result in a significant increase in the noise floor.

This is no joke. The +48v hangs on the two signal conductors, and when you instantaneously short them to 0V (by plugging in a mic), that 48v shoots down to the preamp and smacks it HARD! I was just in a studio in Philly where the owner was complaining about destroying a few channels on his Millennia HV3's by 'hot-plugging' with phantom on. A bad mic cable can do this too...which sucks, cuz you may not even realize it until too late.

Always keep phantom power OFF unless you have a microphone at the end of the cable (or a multimeter).

This probably has nothing to do with your U87 problem (since the 57 works, the pre must still be alive), but I'd hate to see you ruin your pre while trying to fix a mic problem...

ps. I have to agree with the posters who say to buy high-end gear from reputable, independent dealers. They are usually intelligent professionals, and are very careful about maintaining customer satisfaction. Guitar Center is a good place to buy guitar strings, last-minute on a Sunday night, when you've broken your last hi-E and you really want to finish cutting the guitar tracks...
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Thank you Patrox247. You have made me laugh louder and longer than I ever have at anything on Gearslutz. 'This could take weeks..' Brilliant.

Blakeyboy.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

He´s got real phantom power?

Matti
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
Not meaning to be nasty here, but ...
I have to wonder how someone so clueless can justify spending $2000 on a mic and not know how to "turn it on". My "good" LDC mics are Rode NT2000s - and I had plenty of experience with lesser mics, phantom power and such long before I could afford those. I'm not even close to having a U87 in the budget.
Am I the only one who feels something is out of whack with this situation?

I guess not.

Due to sales volume Guitar Center was able to assert their market power and negotiated a unique and controversial deal with Neumann. This contract included a waiver of the usual qualification application, tests and associated fees that most dealers require of those who purchase any mic that has a retail price greater than or equal to $1895.

Only a few pro audio insiders are aware of this and have taken a solemn blood-oath of secrecy. By telling you this I am placing my welfare and the welfare of my family in great jeopardy.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

My U87ai is very sensitive to the type of xlr connectors it doesn't like the Switch craft though will work intermittently, try the Neutrik the mic was designed to work more with Neutrik xlr's.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Nah, you can't teach an old dog neutriks.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
But can you teach a neu mann old tricks?

Quote:
Mics power up as soon as you turn on the phantom power, so it should work as soon as you push the botton or flip the switch.
To be fair...some preamps and mixers have a phantom power circuit that ramps up rather than instantaneously shoot out 48v. Although I've never seen any that take more than about ten seconds to do so.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

Dude, what happened? Did you solve the problem?
Either the store f*cked you over big time or you have to spend some time learning about this stuff.
Not to be an @ss here, but before spending that kind of money on a mic...better do some reading first.

"Charging time"..? Yeah, whatever...

All the best
/Fred
Old 14th September 2007
Here for the gear

This thread is getting worse and worse.

....so what happened? problem solved yet?
Old 14th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyboy View Post
Awesome

---

"Charging time" --- you mean GC actually charged you for their time (and expertise)
Old 14th September 2007
Village Idiot

If youre using 2 motu travelers and powering them through your firewire port, that could be the reason why the mic isnt working.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11321****post1.html

Gustav
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Addict

We have a winner!

I'd like to thank the fine folks at Guitar Center, USBlink11, the Academy, and Tony Belmont.
Attached Thumbnails
Just got a new u87 ai, what is the "charging time " ? 48v-gs-post-week-cup.jpg  
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, there's one newbie who'll NEVER ask a question on this forum again.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Well, there's one newbie who'll NEVER ask a question on this forum again.
Definitely !... Too much easy bashing in this thread IMO...
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
Definitely !... Too much easy bashing in this thread IMO...
Your mom just called. She wants her Vagisil back.
Attached Images
Just got a new u87 ai, what is the "charging time " ? 48v-1150900372.jpeg 
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Maniac

So did you ever figure out what the problem was USBLINK?

-- Ben
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluttygearhere View Post
So did you ever figure out what the problem was USBLINK?

-- Ben
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

Weve been bit harsh here, some older Neumanns had battery option
with some now obsolent batteries ( this for outside broadcast )
and I think some older Groove Tubes mics use a battery as a
current stabilzer between phantom and the mic electronics;
there you`ll have to wait the battery to charge.
From my memory... ?

Matti
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

I think we've all been had by this guy. In addition to his "hooking up two travelers" question, there's this gem about what size nails to use to rack gear, Where to get rack stands, and what size nails?
There are a few others for selling high end gear like Drawmers and maybe a Distressor or something like that.
My vote is either a troll or for a trust fund Hollywood kid. He seems to have vanished after this latest U87 thread.

m
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

If so, he did have some success!
Besides, I was wrong in my prev. message remembering
Groove Tubes mics, ment CAD mics.

Matti
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Addict

.......so if he's used U87's before why would he believe that they need to be charged for 4 hours?...
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I'd like to thank the fine folks at Guitar Center, USBlink11, the Academy, and Tony Belmont.
Shouldn't that trophy be black with purple spots?
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
Oh my god. This thread makes me want to move my bowels....

hill lary ass
your killin me!
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Addict

The dudes at Guitar Center told me the "Black" U87ai, a large format condenser mic is believed to deliver vocals better than the conventional "Silver" model. The black stealth technology reflects energy away from the mic body effectively increasing the pickup pattern cross section, and making the source sound "better" than it actually is provided the phantom power has time to charge up for at least 4 hours.
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

HOLY COW....WHERE'S THE KRYLON....I'm painting all my mics black.....

m

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search