The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just got a new u87 ai, what is the "charging time " ? 48v Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't think the color has anything to do with it. And guys, let's be nice. At least he's not complaining about the Tony Belmont dvd.
Old 12th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Great!!! Now for the record - You are the one who is now responsible for explaining what continuity is, and how it relates to a three conducter cable. This could take weeks.
****! You're right. For the record I'm an electronics illiterate............but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Oh yeah, I did learn how to a cheap ass multimeter before I bought my U87's....only seems logical to learn how to use a $10 tool before buying a $2000 mic.
Old 12th September 2007

nevermind
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Dude! So you still think the defect has something to do with the color of the mic?
I dont know what to think. It could be that i just got a defected one, or it could be the black ones are known to have more problems. Ive worked with a lot of u87's ALL silver and they work perfect. I get a black one and its defected.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Seriously, if you're using an Mbox it might not be the mic. Because the Mbox draws it's power from the usb port it sometimes doesn't get enough power to send a full 48v to the mic.

Otherwise take your newfound information to GC and rip somebody a new one for blowing smoke up your ass.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Christ! You guys really have long memories. I thought I apologized for that transgression. I'm completely humiliated.

Naaahhhhh.
Rick, I'm pretty sure you were fairly reasonable in that thread. I was referring to the 15 pages of name calling and b.s. courtesy of thashine.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

"I don't think the color has anything to do with it. And guys, let's be nice. At least he's not complaining about the Tony Belmont dvd."

Holy ****, I just fell out of my Chair..

Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Great!!! Now for the record - You are the one who is now responsible for explaining what continuity is, and how it relates to a three conducter cable. This could take weeks.
No. Please. Stop it. No multi-meters, oscilloscopes, or explanations. Let's just keep things simple here. It doesn't work, so he should take it back and get some cheap dynamic mics instead. He will be up and running, that salespuke won't get a commission for blowing smoke up his a$$, and this thread can have a happy ending.

And to the OP, if you think we're sh***ing with you relentlessly, trust me, it's not as bad as the guy who took your $3k and then did it to you over the phone. Take the mic back. He doesn't deserve the commission.
Old 12th September 2007

Quote:
Sir......Please step away from the mic.
LOL

Brilliant. heh

Trebor
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
You might want to run it under some cold water while you're charging it. If it starts to make funny sounds and smoke comes out, the mic is definitely broken.
That was funny.....
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Try a new cable, check the 48v (if you can) if not, it sounds broken and you should get a replacement. If the store is close by, go back and try it there. If it works, the problem is with your gear, not the mic.
oh and ignore comments from people who have more experience than you and laugh about your lack of experience...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Simple solution:

Take the damn mic, back to the damn store, and have them check to see if its working or not, or just request an exhange for a new one.

You must got money to whip your ass with, if this was not the first thought that came to your mind. lol

We are not talking about a mic that cost $80 here, we are talking about a U87ai. For the amount of money you paid for it, you should be a lot more concerned about solving this situation than it seems you are right now.

Besides all that, you need to learn more about using mics.
How are you gonna believe bullcrap about "it just needs to charge up". Mics power up as soon as you turn on the phantom power, so it should work as soon as you push the botton or flip the switch.
Some mics could benefit from you leaving it to warm up a bit, depending on what mic it is.
But either way, you should be able to see signal activity as soon as you turn on phantom power.

Go back to GC and return that thing asap.
And while you are out, locate as much books on microphones and preamps as you can, and catch up on some reading...

Hope everything works out though..
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

to give the guy a break, when i first started, i bought a mic and a mic cable and hooked it up and BAM.....nothing made sure the phantom power was on and everything, no sound, kept it hoping i did something wrong and come to find out that it was a faulty mic cable, cut him some slack people, oh yeah it was in 01
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

holy guacamoly ... why people dont look in the manual , or make a google search first ... this is so mega basic , why you post it here at gs ??????????????

sry for my ignorance, im actualy not , i hate it , but this threat speaks for its self
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sir......Please step away from the mic.
hahaha LOL
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

One thing that im use to doing when buying mics in person is actually testing out the mic at the store before even leaving out with the mic. That will save you a lot of trouble, and you can also try out different mics of the same model since some mics dont perfectly match each other in how they sound.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
One thing that im use to doing when buying mics in person is actually testing out the mic at the store before even leaving out with the mic. That will save you a lot of trouble, and you can also try out different mics of the same model since some mics dont perfectly match each other in how they sound.
Certainly a good point. It's a PITA sending or taking things back especially if it just doesn't work.

In this case, I would still suspect the 48v (or cable) rather than a brand new neumann.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Make sure you have an XLR connection on each end. If you have a 1/4 jack on one end you can't use phantom power from your mixing board. So get a new cable with a mic connection on one end, and a mail xlr on the other.
Thats probably it as you were using a dynamic mic before.
Old 12th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

wow.

I would return the mic if I were you.

Take the money, and go back to school, or an internship, or something.

I don't think you deserve a break on this one.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usblink11 View Post
The Guitar Center on sunset blvd. in West Hollywood. Those ****ing dumbasses.
Yea, that sums it up.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

This thread establishes a new standard for the "high end" forum. My U87 works fine, but it's silver, so I definitely vote for the color problem.

Rick
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

I thought the spots depended on the pattern? Am I just stupid?

Seriously, I got this one right off. My wife is wrong. I actually do have a sense of humor. That was a good one.
Old 12th September 2007
usblink11, I've got to admire your bravery. Are you using an XLR to XLR cable, or XLR to TRS/TS?

Possible things:

1. Be sure to use XLR to XLR cable
2. Turn on phantom after the mic's plugged it and then slowly bring up the preamp gain
3. Maybe your gear is not producing full 48V phantom power
4. Possibly a defective mic. The color does not matter
Old 12th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

I keep coming back to this thread, and don't know why. I guess I'm expecting more jokes.

This is a joke right? Was the U87 on "THE LIST?"
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

OMG, this has gotta be the funniest pro audio thread I've ever read .

I'm waiting for the next post to be that he brought the mic back to GC and they tell him they can't take it back because it's a California health law.

I wanna German mic that's black with purple dots, too! I've been looking for beige mic's to match my studio, but can't find any, so I'm going for the eclectic look...

usblink11, joking aside, keep posting your experiences here, you may need our help to keep you from getting ripped off by GC.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Same here. I guess nobody reads the thread, just keep posting answers. At least I hope that what's going on.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I had a friend who had this same problem with one of those "blue" mics too. He charged it up all day and night and then it still didn't work. So he took it back and got a silver one and after he charged that up it sounded OK, like one of those newmanns
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wow.

I thought we had found the bottom.

Apparently we need some kind of deep abyss super sonar thing, because the bottom is still not in sight.

Charge-up time?

Unbelievable.

Listen, don't buy crap from guys who are amateur engineers but professional b#ll-sh1tters! Call a guy like me who freakin' knows a little bit about this stuff for God sakes.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I purchased a brand new u87 today , went home hooked it up and couldnt get any signal. I called the store and asked them they said that i have to leave on the phantom power for a while because the circuits need it. Its been about 4 hours. Now i am wondering if the mic is just broken.

I think 4 hours is more than long enough for the salesman to be very very far away , you can now call the police and charge him with scamming you, but only after you put on a pink toutou and sing Avril Lavigne's "Skater Boy" in ancient Greek at your closest neighborhood mall. Trust me--you'll feel much better.....
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I dont know what to think. It could be that i just got a defected one, or it could be the black ones are known to have more problems. Ive worked with a lot of u87's ALL silver and they work perfect. I get a black one and its defected.
It defected to where? Maybe it's a commie mic! Hey, weren't those made in east berlin?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search