The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend a channel strip. Channel Strips
Old 12th September 2007
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Blue May's Avatar
 

Recommend a channel strip.

Hey,

A friend has been kindly lending me a focusrite ISA220 recording channel. while its not the most interesting unit available its been a useful tracking box for vocals / bass / kick drum etc. anyway.. the time has come and he wants it back..

Now obviously ideally (when i have enough money) i want to go down the route of buying a nice collection of different pre amps and compressors. but for now i would really like some advice on an all in one box.

The primary use of this is to get as good quality vocal possible and a strong signal into my computer. however it would be a bonus if it worked well on bass / kick / ac gtr / snare as well!

£2000 limit. considering the Manley Vox Box / API 7600 / Chandler Germanium Maximus? bare in mind this will have to be as versatile as possible as i dont have load of choice available.

thanks
Old 12th September 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
Why does it have to be an all in one box?? I think it'd be a lot more versatile to get separate pre/eq/comp so you get the exact flavour you want...

I'd pass on the Voxbox personnally, I've heard the germ pre and eq ( not the comp) and am sure the maximus is an awwwesome channel strip but I wouldn't want it to be my only pre.

I'd get a lunchbox, it's easily portable and you can try different combinations. £2000 is roughly $4000, with that kind of cash you can get a really nice lunchbox

lunchbox: $400
pre: P1 $800
buzz essence $1000
avedis e27 $1100 /

total is $3300 and you get a strip that'll be really versatile and 'll kill the focusrite.
Old 12th September 2007
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Just a suggestion...I like the Sebatron Thorax.

Mick
Old 12th September 2007
  #4
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue May View Post
£2000 limit. considering the Manley Vox Box / API 7600 / Chandler Germanium Maximus? bare in mind this will have to be as versatile as possible as i dont have load of choice available.

thanks
I've always found the API 7600 a great all around box...

Also, I don't think the Germanium Maximus is even in production yet.
Old 12th September 2007
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

I would encourage a look at the millennia STT-1 origin. Its an incredible strip that provides a broad range of colour options albiet all in the clean zone and is great value for money. The new neve 88 series strip really does give you something in the range of genuine neve sound... Its also worth a listen.

If you can find a whole lot more cash a wunder peq1 and a cranesong trakker will boggle your mind
Old 12th September 2007
  #6
Quote:
£2000 is roughly $4000, with that kind of cash you can get a really nice lunchbox
...save for the fact gear is twice as expensive so you can only buy $2000 worth of gear for £2000

I'm with the poster who suggested getting separates. I started witha channel strip and wish I hadn't. For a couple of thousand quid if you import from the US you could get an Me1nv (very flexible pre) a distressor and a 2nd hand pultec. That's gonna beat the nuts of anything you can get in a single box!
Old 12th September 2007
  #7
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

of the ones you listed, the 7600 is imo the most versatile and the pre stacks extremely well. it's got classic color, pushes nice, and has one of the finest eq's on the planet. the comp is incredible on gts. and vox, but it's touchy, you gotta know compression to make it sing.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 12th September 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog View Post
...save for the fact gear is twice as expensive so you can only buy $2000 worth of gear for £2000

I'm with the poster who suggested getting separates. I started witha channel strip and wish I hadn't. For a couple of thousand quid if you import from the US you could get an Me1nv (very flexible pre) a distressor and a 2nd hand pultec. That's gonna beat the nuts of anything you can get in a single box!
I can second the Me1Nv and distressor w/british mod combo. It has proven very nice for myself and everyone else I know who has access to that combo as well.
Old 13th September 2007
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Blue May's Avatar
 

Hey, thanks i appreciate the comments, you know what with another day of consideration since my friend said he would be wanting his focusrite back i think i'm leaning towards the separates thing. I think my initial instinct was that i would miss the functionality of everything in one box. But as a couple of you mentioned i have worked a lot with distressors and love them, i think i could afford to wait to buy and eq and just get one channel of really good quality pre and comp.
starting a 500 series rack is also very tempting. there are so many great brands joining the vpr alliance that it seems a good time to invest in that format.

Thanks guys.
Old 13th September 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Given your parameters...API 7600... great pre ...great eq ...good compressor you can use it to track anything nicely.

Nick
Old 13th September 2007
  #11
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic View Post
Why does it have to be an all in one box?? I think it'd be a lot more versatile to get separate pre/eq/comp so you get the exact flavour you want...

I'd pass on the Voxbox personnally, I've heard the germ pre and eq ( not the comp) and am sure the maximus is an awwwesome channel strip but I wouldn't want it to be my only pre.

I'd get a lunchbox, it's easily portable and you can try different combinations. £2000 is roughly $4000, with that kind of cash you can get a really nice lunchbox

lunchbox: $400
pre: P1 $800
buzz essence $1000
avedis e27 $1100 /

total is $3300 and you get a strip that'll be really versatile and 'll kill the focusrite.

agree
Old 13th September 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Kinsey's Avatar
 

I would also favour the seperate box approach, getting a Purple MC77 as the tracking comp and perhaps a Pacifica or another preamp depending on preference.

Having said that, I recently had the new Neve 8801 channel strip down which has everything you could possibly want: Preamp/Compressor/Gate/EQ. If you did want to go 'all in one' i would strongly recomend that box.
Old 13th September 2007
  #13
Old 13th September 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Soldier777c's Avatar
 

How about a GML2020?
Old 13th September 2007
  #15
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
The Pendulum Audio "Quartet" and "Quartet II" both have the capability to be used as channel strips or as individual units... so you're not locked into the channel strip thing while you have 3 or 4 independent units that can be used on any aspect of your work without dedicating the entire path to any one sound.

Pretty damn cool functions and the both units sound absolutely amazing [IMO... YMMV]
Old 20th November 2007
  #16
There are generally two flavores. being Neve & SSL.

The 8801 channel might be a nice choice. I believe the X-rack to be a nice choice aswell. And that kind of gear will hold value. Besides stuff like tubetec or Universal Audio.

Both have alot going for it. I'd go for the X-rack as you could get a gate/compressor, mic-pre and a stereo compressor so you'd could use that during mixing.

Both choices would be good choices.

A Joemeek might be good aswell, if you haven't got decent monitors for instance. (just a different road, right?)
Old 20th November 2007
  #17
Old 20th November 2007
  #18
AMS Neve 8801

AMS Neve 8801

Bad ass channel strip!! The Mic pre is the ballz. The noise floor is like a black hole.........quiet and way down there!

I used the Compressor on a Rap vocal the other day and I was pretty amazed that I could tame it the way I did without f#cking with the tone.

The EQ is nothing sort of magical for corrective work,
I also really like the filtering capability. I have some really strange ambient low end in my apartment (no treatment) and the Low pass filter was just what the doctor ordered to counteract this problem.

peace
mixwell
Old 20th November 2007
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue May View Post
Hey,

A friend has been kindly lending me a focusrite ISA220 recording channel. while its not the most interesting unit available its been a useful tracking box for vocals / bass / kick drum etc. anyway.. the time has come and he wants it back..

Now obviously ideally (when i have enough money) i want to go down the route of buying a nice collection of different pre amps and compressors. but for now i would really like some advice on an all in one box.

The primary use of this is to get as good quality vocal possible and a strong signal into my computer. however it would be a bonus if it worked well on bass / kick / ac gtr / snare as well!

£2000 limit. considering the Manley Vox Box / API 7600 / Chandler Germanium Maximus? bare in mind this will have to be as versatile as possible as i dont have load of choice available.

thanks
Hi

Granted, the price you quoted is below the sales price but our GTQC should certainly be considered... considering the options it provides...

- A focus on our new Channel Strip...

You get a class A mic pre, killer DI with 10Mohm input amplifier, a capable 3 band EQ and two outputs, one transformer balanced XLR, t'other 1/4" jack unbalanced.

The Compressor is selectable to FET, Opto or both and can be used independently or following the mic pre. Two units can be linked to form a stereo compressor.

Lots of lights, bells and whistles to give you many options towards the sound you require.

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
luctellier / Music Computers
22
SAnthony / Geekslutz forum
2
doubledecker / So much gear, so little time
23
structuredloud / So much gear, so little time
1
mac black / Music Computers
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump