The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hedd 192 demo? Headphone Amps
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hedd 192 demo?

HI !
Anybody have a demo track that we can listen on the "HEDD 192" features?
I'm interested on Hedd's and will buy one, but no where out can serve me with few attitudes to here the difference!

Thanks
Robert
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

How about this, you upload a sound file that you are very familiar with and I'll process it with my HEDD. Then I can upload a couple of files with different process settings for you to hear.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionaut View Post
How about this, you upload a sound file that you are very familiar with and I'll process it with my HEDD. Then I can upload a couple of files with different process settings for you to hear.
Great!
That will be cool, tomorrow i check a sound file!
Thanks
Old 12th September 2007
lwr
Gear Addict

post the results here!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi!
Here are 2 records, not so good but i know it "deep in sleep"
I'm greatly thankful if you can provide me with few attitudes
Thanx!
Robert
Attached Files

Mix.mp3 (2.20 MB, 268 views)

Drums.mp3 (1.28 MB, 245 views)

Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I have a 48k version for sale
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I've downloaded the files. iTunes has identified the "Drums" sample as 44.1K 192khz and the "mix" sample at 48K 192khz - is this correct? I don't want your files to come back playing at the wrong speed. I haven't listened to them yet.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've downloaded the files. iTunes has identified the "Drums" sample as 44.1K 192khz and the "mix" sample at 48K 192khz - is this correct? I don't want your files to come back playing at the wrong speed. I haven't listened to them yet.
Yes, correctly!
Thanx!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Give me a couple hours, I've got carpenters here doing construction on our control room. I'll process the files as soon as I can!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Give me a couple hours, I've got carpenters here doing construction on our control room. I'll process the files as soon as I can!
Hey no stress here!
Take your time please!
There is no hurry!
Robert
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks, my rig's sealed in a flight case with carpenters cutting wood all around it, I'll post as soon as I can get it up and running!
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Addict

bumpy

but also, if anybody can comment on the more "extreme" settings of the HEDD I'd like REALLY like to know. This is looking like a good contender to my current upgrade to a Lavry Blue 2 Ch AD/DA and Portico 5042 so it would really help me out.

I mean can you push it and get some nice distorted tube-like love going on? What about the deliberately "overdriven" tape sound?

Or is it just nice and subtle? It would be nice to be able to screw things up deliberately as well as a more refined thing.

Thanks in advance
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, my rig's sealed in a flight case with carpenters cutting wood all around it, I'll post as soon as I can get it up and running!
HI Audionaut!
I'm not in a hurry but can you write me back if you can track the mix through your Hedd for next week? It is possible?
Thanks
Old 19th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis360 View Post
bumpy

I mean can you push it and get some nice distorted tube-like love going on? What about the deliberately "overdriven" tape sound?

Or is it just nice and subtle? It would be nice to be able to screw things up deliberately as well as a more refined thing.
It can be very subtle or very over the edge. Both settings are musical, depends on what kind of sound you are after. All 3 of the settings interact with eachother. I have never found myself using any of the knobs turned up more than halfway, even that is pushing too much.
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Hello Blacky & Pyxis360,
I'm doing the last bounce now. A couple points about the HEDD. The Clock and converters are amazing and I might have bought this unit on those merits alone. For your purposes, however I'm just running the HEDD digitally (AES) to demonstrate the proprietary saturation effects.
How it's done:
The HEDD process knobs are labeled TRIODE, PENTODE, and TAPE from left to right and these knobs are non-detented & numbered from 0-10. The middle value (5) is listed as a good starting point (by the manual) to hear the processes, however I rarely go beyond 4 in practical application. To answer Pyxis360's tube saturation question, the HEDD is designed for subtlety and can add a touch of sheen with TRIODE, bit of "punch" with the PENTODE, and slight warmth with "TAPE." It does NOT do overdriven tones well. Where tubes or tape would get mushy or fuzzy when pushed too hard, the overdriven HEDD processes could be described as "ringy", "Sputtery" and "Granulated" respectively (each knob cranked all the way up).

These three process do not work independently of each other and interact in a rather complex way, so I can't just turn up TRIODE and leave TAPE and PENTODE at zero. The settings will be listed with each example. My new control room is wired, but has NOT been tuned yet, so I can't guarantee anything other than I switched the process knob "in" and "out" and could hear a subtle difference.
I processed the Drum mix 3 different ways in attempt to spotlight the TRIODE, PENTODE and TAPE processes separately. I processed the "MIX" example according to my ears. Here's my monitor path:
Protools HD=>SPL Mixdream=>Dangerous Monitor ST=> Tannoy Ellipse IDP 10's.

Samples with settings used to follow:
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Sorry, the files are about 9mb and they need to be under 6. I'm gonna clip the tail ends off and post in a minute.

(I don't wanna post mp3's)
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Maniac

DRUM SAMPLE "TRIODE"

Drum sample 1
Hedd settings: TRIODE 5, PENTODE 2, TAPE 2
Attached Files
File Type: aif DRUMS TRI-02.aif (5.79 MB, 196 views)
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Maniac

DRUM SAMPLE "PENTODE"

Drum sample 2
Hedd settings: TRIODE 2, PENTODE 5, TAPE 2
Attached Files
File Type: aif DRUMS PENT-02.aif (5.79 MB, 153 views)
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Maniac

DRUM SAMPLE "TAPE"

Drum sample 3
Hedd settings: TRIODE 2, PENTODE 2, TAPE 5
Attached Files
File Type: aif DRUMS TAPE-02.aif (5.79 MB, 178 views)
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Mix sample

Mix sample
Hedd settings: TRIODE 3, PENTODE 4, TAPE 3.5
Attached Files
File Type: aif MIX HEDD-03.aif (5.79 MB, 190 views)
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Maniac

just for fun

Just for fun, I know doesn't have anything to do with a controlled test, but I've got new toys to show off! Here's the drum mix coming out of protools into the Mix dream, through the Massive Passive, A pair of Germanium Compressors and recorded back into PT through the HEDD converters with process at these settings:
TRIODE 2, PENTODE 3.5, TAPE 3.5

SPICY!!!
Attached Files
File Type: aif MIX EXTRA.aif (5.79 MB, 187 views)
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Woow! Thanks Audionaut for your works here!
The drums are definitive better and more balanced.
Every sample is worthy!
But the best is the last!!
I think i need your toys too .
Great sounding! Infront of the face
Do you have the Mastering MP? I think a pair of Germaniums wait for me too What kind of Mix Dream you have? The bigger one?

The orignal drums was from BFD and i took only the SSL G Master Buss comp. plugin + Neve 1081 plugin where i cut 500Hz.
Thanks for your help here GREAT!
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Blacky,
The Massive Passive is the regular version and it is the bigger mixdream. I'm impressed with your BFD drum track, I thought it was a live kit with sampled kick and snare.
Ausgeseichnet!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search