The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mytek alignment help Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mytek alignment help

I bought a Mytek AD8x96 a month ago for the extra conversion into my PT LE setup, and now I'm finally getting around to integrating it. I need someone to straighten my head out about how to properly align the thing.

Here's my interpretation of Mytek's instructions:
1. Generate a sine wave at the console's 0VU point
2. Send that to the converters, monitoring their output, and match the levels.

Is that it or am I skipping something? I think by doing it this way, I'll have all of my clip points aligned, so that if one thing in my signal chain clips, the whole chain should....true unity, no?

Thanks in advance -gk
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

No one?
I think I have it figured out, but some confirmation from those more experienced would be reassuring
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Hey Kooz,

You have the right idea, but one question: how are you monitoring the output of the converter?

In other words, you are "matching the levels" of the test tone through the console and also through the Mytek. How exactly are you doing this? What are you using for your generator, digital meter (if you're monitoring digitally) or D/A (if your monitoring via the analog console)?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using the Signal Generator plug-in in ProTools, out of my oo2 into my console. From the console's direct outputs, it goes to the Mytek, and back into PT. Once the level of the input from the mytek matches the signal I've sent to it via my console, I think I'm aligned. -17.6dBFS (yeah, I'm weird), 0.775V (dunno if that's RMS or not, just what I measured between pins 2+3) at the oo2 oscillator output, the console direct out, and the armed track analog output of the oo2.

So Mr. Benchmark, am I good? Thanks for replying!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

As long as there is no gain in the 002 D/A's.

I remember on the 001, there was a menu to adjust the output levels of the various outputs.

If you can verify that there is no gain or attenuation on the two 002 analog outputs, then it seems you are good. One way to verify this is by sending the signal generator out of the analog output that you are using for the 'armed track', and measuring the voltage. It should be equal to the voltage on the output you originally used for the signal generator. If they're equal, you're set!!
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wicked! thank you!!!! I'll test and post results over the weekend.

UPDATE: there is no gain change at the line outputs.

Last edited by kooz; 17th September 2007 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: updated
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooz View Post
I'm using the Signal Generator plug-in in ProTools, out of my oo2 into my console. From the console's direct outputs, it goes to the Mytek, and back into PT. Once the level of the input from the mytek matches the signal I've sent to it via my console, I think I'm aligned. -17.6dBFS (yeah, I'm weird), 0.775V (dunno if that's RMS or not, just what I measured between pins 2+3) at the oo2 oscillator output, the console direct out, and the armed track analog output of the oo2.

So Mr. Benchmark, am I good? Thanks for replying!
I'm not sure, from what you are saying you are 6dB hotter than you want. You should be measuring 1.225VRMS btwn pin 2 and 3, not 0.775

Have you checked the alignment procedure of 8x96ADC in the manual available here?:

MYTEK DIGITAL USA

let me know of any step needs clarification

Regards , Michal MYTEK DIGITAL USA
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search