The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summing and how to use it with tubes involved.
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

Summing and how to use it with tubes involved.

Hello!

First time poster, long time reader.

I have a question that i can't seem to find the answer to here...

I make electronic music and I have just purchased an analog mixer for the first time since i went digital, and my question is how to use the summing in the best way.
The mixer is a TLA Tubetracker 8 ch and i want to get the most out of it. My aim is to get a fatter and smother sound.
I have different theories for how to do this.

1# Before final mix, send the bassy sounds to one pair and the low mid to one pair and high mid on one pair and finally high range on one pair.
That makes it easier to separate the different parts of the spectra. Or..

2# To have equal amount of the frequency spectra on all 4 stereo outs and just try to sum them with the mixer. Or...

3# To mix everything in packages first (like drums/leads etc etc..) and then sum the groups together in a final stage. This means that the stuff have to go through the mixer twice and im afraid that it's gonna sound to processed (depending on the saturation).

I would be gratefull for any ideas, sugestions and theories.

(Mayby my spelling isn't the best but it's not my native tounge)
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hello Squareism,

when I mixed with a tubetracker, I simply send the most important elements, like drums, bass, snare, vocals, or whatever through individually channels the rest premixed to one or two stereo pairs. I also used the stereo-returns for mixdown btw, so that I've had 12 channels for mixdown. The tube-circuit is fine for fattening kick, bass when you drive it hot. I also found the eq a really sweet sounding one. It seems that the tubetracker don't get much love here around but I always found that the M3 is a really sweet sounding little board.

Now happy trying...
Old 10th November 2007
Gear Head

tla summing

I love mixing through the m3.

I use a lot of plugins etc. on the channels, but run stems out through the m3 and then back into protools through apogee converters.

I use stereo groups for drums, guitars, and keyboards, then a channel for lead vocal and one for bass.

I'll always A/B between ITB and through the m3 so some stuff runs through the desk and other things direct. You'll find most stuff sounds better through the TLA but some things that you want a little tighter are best kept ITB.

Its a great way of working. you get the best of both worlds, with the m3 bringing a lot of warmth and vibe to the sound.

I'll do most of the eq'ing and compresion with the plugins, generally keep the drum group eq flat on the m3, but brighten up the guitar and keyboard groups.

I'm considering getting a VTC because im so into it.

Paul
Old 11th November 2007
Pat
Gear Addict

Getting a fatter sound out of 8 ch?????
Old 13th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareism View Post
Hello!

First time poster, long time reader.

I have a question that i can't seem to find the answer to here...

I make electronic music and I have just purchased an analog mixer for the first time since i went digital, and my question is how to use the summing in the best way.
The mixer is a TLA Tubetracker 8 ch and i want to get the most out of it. My aim is to get a fatter and smother sound.
I have different theories for how to do this.

1# Before final mix, send the bassy sounds to one pair and the low mid to one pair and high mid on one pair and finally high range on one pair.
That makes it easier to separate the different parts of the spectra. Or..

2# To have equal amount of the frequency spectra on all 4 stereo outs and just try to sum them with the mixer. Or...

3# To mix everything in packages first (like drums/leads etc etc..) and then sum the groups together in a final stage. This means that the stuff have to go through the mixer twice and im afraid that it's gonna sound to processed (depending on the saturation).

I would be gratefull for any ideas, sugestions and theories.

(Mayby my spelling isn't the best but it's not my native tounge)
SO How does it sound ? ? better ?

Hard to find information on this desk here !!!

Thanks

Sergio
Old 19th November 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search