The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using 2 Summing Boxes/Small Mixers - How Do You Link Them? Consoles
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Using 2 Summing Boxes/Small Mixers - How Do You Link Them?

I was quite happy with my Chandler Mini Rack Mixer, though wishing for more channel sometimes. Then a senior engineer, one of my mentors, lent me his Studer 961 small console (8 channels + 4 inputs = 12 channels) and I was in trouble.

The Studer 961 has 8 channels with pres and eqs, and it sounds very different from the Chandler (better in a way, of course, considering the price difference). Now the problem is that I don't know how to link the two mixers together to make them a 16 + 12 = 28 channel configuration.

I tried sending the main output of the Studer into Chandler, and vice versa. Too much sound degretion to tolerate I must say. It degraded so much that I'd rather just sum those "minor trackes" ITB.

I saw some of you guys using two summing boxes/ small mixers. How do you guys link them up and still has an acceptable sound quality?
Old 11th September 2007
member no 666

On the back of the Chandler there are two inputs labeled "extender in"... it should work if you run the main outputs from the Studer to those inputs. I am not sure about the input level those inputs want to see... if it's not +4 then you'll want to find a different method.

One possible method might be that the Studer may have a pair of "aux return" inputs in which case you can run the main output from the Chandler into the Studer [I'm not all that familiar with the configuration of the Studer desks... sorry].

Your signal degredation is probably coming from having too hot a level from one of the mixers coming into the other. If you know you have a +4 "line level" output going into a +4 "line level" input all should be right with the world.

You will at some point have to decide which master section you will want to indeed be the "Grand Master" that feeds your monitors as well as talkback [etc.] as I'm sure the Studer has those facilities [and I know the Chandler has those facilities which is one of the things that makes those units as cool as they are!!].

If you get really stuck you might want to ask Dave Hecht and his crew of technical wizards on the R/E/P forums as that is the sharpest set of tech's I've seen assembled on the internet...

Best of luck with finding a solution!!
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Dear Mr. Fletcher,

Thanks for the suggestion! Why haven't I thought about it might be the signals too hot? I'll try that. Thank you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search