The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TAB V376 vs V376/1 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

TAB V376 vs V376/1

After fairly extensive searches I cannot find the answer to this specific question.
The racked pair is a V376. i found tons of indo on these.

The un-racked pair is a V376/1. I haven't found anything about these specifically.

Anyone know how the innards differ?
Attached Thumbnails
TAB V376 vs V376/1-v376.jpg   TAB V376 vs V376/1-v376-1.jpg  
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Bumplicity
Old 11th September 2007
afaik the V376/1 use M100c NTP discrete amps. (actually they use 1)

Last edited by Reptil; 14th September 2007 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
afaik the V376/1 use M100 NTP discrete amps.
Thanks. Did some more research but came up empty handed again.
I see that you post quite a bit in threads about TAB/Tele modules. Do you have any experience with these?
Are these considered to be inferior or are they on par with the modules that people rave about?
Old 12th September 2007
Well, what do ppl. rave about? heh
API Neve Quad Eight? Reputation deserved I'd say.
TAB/Telefunken? Take the plunge and listen for yourself
maybe you'll like them... I came across them on my search for nice gear, it could've easily been something else too.....

They might need some TLC...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Well, what do ppl. rave about? heh
API Neve Quad Eight? Reputation deserved I'd say.
TAB/Telefunken? Take the plunge and listen for yourself
maybe you'll like them... I came across them on my search for nice gear, it could've easily been something else too.....

They might need some TLC...
That's the litmus test for sure. However, before I take the plunge I seek other’s opinions to help make a better informed decision. I also want to make sure the price is fair. Sometimes people try to pass off things as “just as reputable as” some other highly valued model. For example, the DBX 116-19. Ebayer’s often describe these as being “very similar” to the 160VU and jack-up the price. A more relevant example might be the ANT and LEWO models, which people seem to hold in lower regard than the earlier models for both subjective (sound) and objective (components) reasons.
My budget forces me to be risk averse so the opinions of those with more experience are quite valuable.
Any other input would be greatly welcome!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

YES!!! One of these is the closest I've come to specs on this model. I found a schematic for a TAB V376.01s. The only difference being the "s" is not present on the units I might buy.
Weill...also...I don't know enough about electronics to interpret these, but thanks anyway!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

TAB made V376

I am very familiar with the TAB made V376, like the racked ones on the left photo. I have a rack of 8 of these and I use them every day. Some of mine are branded Telefunken and some as TAB. The TAB made V376 is one of the best all around mic pres ever made, especially for acoustic music as they have a wonderful open top end. I own and have used a number of other German modules from this period, but I have never seen anything like the "V376/01" modules in the right photo. These do not look like something made by the historic TAB company. It would be very interesting to see some interior photos to look at the components and see if they have anything in common with a TAB V376. But again, I have seen a lot of modules from this series made by TAB, Siemens, BFE, LAWO, ANT-Telefunken, and Neumann. Things like the V376, V376a, V376b, V676, V676a, V372, V672, V476a, V476b, V776, and V976 but I have never seen anything that looks like the "V376/01" on the right. I would be cautious about buying those unless I could find more information about them and who made them. You can't go wrong with the classic TAB made Telefunken V376, like the ones racked in the left photo.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

The seller states that they are TAB, and that they are the same as Telefunken V376, but the logo is nowhere to be found. I asked for serial numbers with no response. I actively search for these on a regular basis and they rarley come-up. But I think I will bid low on these for lack of info.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
I am very familiar with the TAB made V376, like the racked ones on the left photo. I have a rack of 8 of these and I use them every day. Some of mine are branded Telefunken and some as TAB. The TAB made V376 is one of the best all around mic pres ever made, especially for acoustic music as they have a wonderful open top end. I own and have used a number of other German modules from this period, but I have never seen anything like the "V376/01" modules in the right photo. These do not look like something made by the historic TAB company. It would be very interesting to see some interior photos to look at the components and see if they have anything in common with a TAB V376. But again, I have seen a lot of modules from this series made by TAB, Siemens, BFE, LAWO, ANT-Telefunken, and Neumann. Things like the V376, V376a, V376b, V676, V676a, V372, V672, V476a, V476b, V776, and V976 but I have never seen anything that looks like the "V376/01" on the right. I would be cautious about buying those unless I could find more information about them and who made them. You can't go wrong with the classic TAB made Telefunken V376, like the ones racked in the left photo.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Do you ever compare a Neumann 476 with TAB 376?
I want to know about the difference of this Pre's
Robert
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just found out that the unit is labeled T/S which the seller claims to mean TAB Siemens. I have not run accross this particular thing and would like to confirm what this person is telling me.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

AFAIK, T+S is the successor of TAB.
Ive seen Eqs W395b from T+S whereas the W395(a) were made by TAB/Telefunken.
But they are different in design, not all discret anymore. That could be the case with these pres too...
Siemens was purchased by BFE.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

V376

I know TAB and Siemens where never the same company although they both made similiar and sometimes identical modules (like the identical TAB and Siemens versions of the tube V72). Filtek was a different (and Swiss) company which was purchased by Siemens and made a part of their BFE division. Siemens still owns BFE but it does not make pro audio equipment any longer (mostly telephone and communications stuff). I don't think anyone purchased the great TAB company, it just went out of business and its assets were liquidated. Oliver Archut in Kansas (TAB Funkenwerk) purchased some TAB transformer making equipment and some of their inventory, but most was scattered to the wind and bits and pieces turn up all over the place.

I think Okailla is probably correct about the T + S AFAIK manufacture and these are later non-discrete modules that probably have NOTHING to do with the historic TAB V376. I would probably avoid those unless you heard them yourself or got reliable information from someone you trusted. You know I love the real historic discrete TAB V376 and would always recommend those. Although different, they are as good as any Neve or Api and even compare nicely against the tube V76 which costs about 4 times as much. The TAB V372 and V672 are also great, especially for electric guitars and anything you would use an api mic pre for, but they require modification to work properly as a mic pre as the come stock with a fixed gain. The V376 was made as a rack mount module for broadcast and is ready to go as is. There is a SLIGHT roll off filter in there somewhere, but I have had it removed on a couple of my modules and I can't hear the difference between the modified and unmodified ones so it can't be much of a roll off.

As far as the TAB V376 and Neumann V476 are concerned. I have not had the chance to A/B those directly so its hard for me to comment specifically. The limited experience I have had with the V476 was with a V476b and it sounded very nice, but I did not have a TAB V376 or a Siemens V276 handy to do a detailed comparison. All of the Neumann branded modules (pres, eq's and compressors) that I have run across have been very well made and nice, but I can't claim to have used all of them. Oliver Archut knows more about these than I do. I have always been advised to avoid the later non-discrete German modules and stick with the stuff made by TAB or BFE/Filtek/Siemens (even though technically some modules, like the well known and great Filtek MK3 eq, are not really totally discrete). I am told that SOME of the ANT-Telefunken stuff is good and some is not. Pretty much everyone says stay away from the later LAWO stuff (and I assume the T + S stuff too) but again this is second hand information.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com
Old 14th September 2007
Actually I came very close to buying a couple of V376/1 some time ago I remember. But settled for some V372DS and simular, cause I needed stereo lineamps really, to bump up synth volume signals to +4 line level. Depending on the price, I'd say; do it. Maybe they're cleaner (that's what I've heard) but that is not a bad thing in my world.
Haufe transformers thumbsup famous discrete opamp - nice parts and design - what could go wrong?
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
I know TAB and Siemens where never the same company although they both made similiar and sometimes identical modules (like the identical TAB and Siemens versions of the tube V72). Filtek was a different (and Swiss) company which was purchased by Siemens and made a part of their BFE division. Siemens still owns BFE but it does not make pro audio equipment any longer (mostly telephone and communications stuff). I don't think anyone purchased the great TAB company, it just went out of business and its assets were liquidated. Oliver Archut in Kansas (TAB Funkenwerk) purchased some TAB transformer making equipment and some of their inventory, but most was scattered to the wind and bits and pieces turn up all over the place.

I think Okailla is probably correct about the T + S AFAIK manufacture and these are later non-discrete modules that probably have NOTHING to do with the historic TAB V376. I would probably avoid those unless you heard them yourself or got reliable information from someone you trusted. You know I love the real historic discrete TAB V376 and would always recommend those. Although different, they are as good as any Neve or Api and even compare nicely against the tube V76 which costs about 4 times as much. The TAB V372 and V672 are also great, especially for electric guitars and anything you would use an api mic pre for, but they require modification to work properly as a mic pre as the come stock with a fixed gain. The V376 was made as a rack mount module for broadcast and is ready to go as is. There is a SLIGHT roll off filter in there somewhere, but I have had it removed on a couple of my modules and I can't hear the difference between the modified and unmodified ones so it can't be much of a roll off.

As far as the TAB V376 and Neumann V476 are concerned. I have not had the chance to A/B those directly so its hard for me to comment specifically. The limited experience I have had with the V476 was with a V476b and it sounded very nice, but I did not have a TAB V376 or a Siemens V276 handy to do a detailed comparison. All of the Neumann branded modules (pres, eq's and compressors) that I have run across have been very well made and nice, but I can't claim to have used all of them. Oliver Archut knows more about these than I do. I have always been advised to avoid the later non-discrete German modules and stick with the stuff made by TAB or BFE/Filtek/Siemens (even though technically some modules, like the well known and great Filtek MK3 eq, are not really totally discrete). I am told that SOME of the ANT-Telefunken stuff is good and some is not. Pretty much everyone says stay away from the later LAWO stuff (and I assume the T + S stuff too) but again this is second hand information.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com

Thanks for this great illustration here!
Robert
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes indeed. Thanks!! Like I mentioned, I've had a hell of a time finding info on these specific models. So, your comments are greatly appreciated.
My only concern at this point is that the seller seems a little sketchy, claiming that these are, “the same as Telefunken V376s only labeled T/S which stands for TAB Siemens.” If he doesn’t know that the Telefunken modules are labeled V376 then how can I trust the rest of his description? Just trying to be careful. I weigh your comments more than an Ebayer’s comments.
Old 17th September 2007
you can perfectly request a picture of the inside. They're a bit aged, and you're buying them for a big part for the components (including expensive Elma switches), that should work as advertised. There is an element of risk involved, but, judging from my information, either modules are fine IMO. I'd get both pairs. (depending on the price) heh
Old 20th April 2008
Here for the gear

tele v 376

I was doing a search to find more of the 376's and google finds this page, which oddly enough, has a picture of my 376/1's in my studio. Kinda creepy. I'll have to edit my pictures better next time. But in answer to your question, they are sonically the same in my opinion, as i have both the 376 and the 376/1. The difference for me is the box. I just want to have 4 of the same for look and mounting reasons. The /1's have a slightly bigger case.

-Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzealot View Post
After fairly extensive searches I cannot find the answer to this specific question.
The racked pair is a V376. i found tons of indo on these.

The un-racked pair is a V376/1. I haven't found anything about these specifically.

Anyone know how the innards differ?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Head

v376/1 has a bigger, shielded enclosure- that's the only difference I'm aware of

hth. cri
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

I doubt that the enclosure is the only difference between a later Afaik T+S V376/1 and an earlier (1960's - early 70's) historic TAB V376. The later V376/1 is almost certainly op amp based, and may even have some i.c.'s, while the historic TAB V376 has totally discrete components. The later V376/1 probably has different transformers as well. If someone has a photo of the inside of the V376/1, I could post a photo of the inside of a historic TAB V376 and the differences would then be obvious. But that does not mean a later V376/1 is somehow bad, they may sound great, but I doubt they are the same inside as the earlier TAB V376.

J. Mike Perkins
Old 11th February 2009
here you go
if it's got these blue opamps, don't worry about the sound
(check that!!)
Attached Thumbnails
TAB V376 vs V376/1-v376b_inside.jpg   TAB V376 vs V376/1-tsv376oben.jpg  
Old 30th May 2009
Here for the gear

anyone know anything about these units i just picked up? they are clean
and i am in search of info, before ording parts for a power supply...

the pic on the right is the actually units, the pic on on the left are the
same type of units(on the bottom)

thanks in advance for helpdfegad
Attached Thumbnails
TAB V376 vs V376/1-dsc01958.jpg   TAB V376 vs V376/1-100_2866.jpg  
Old 30th May 2009
Here for the gear

Tyjoebro,
actually I don´t know anything about your modules, but you might post foto of the innards so that we can compare them to separate micpre / eq- modules...

Concerning the V376/1 I realized that it looks almost identical to the TAB V376a. The main difference seems to me that the V376a uses two NTP M100C discrete OPamps and the V376/1 uses one NTP M100C and a small separate pcb with an IC. (At least the one on Reptil´s foto does... actually I´m wondering if this pcb is the original gain stage, as it uses smd-components whereas the main pcb is built in through-hole technique...)

I posted description, schematics and wiring diagram of the V376a here:
Tab 376a

Best regards,
Tobias
Attached Thumbnails
TAB V376 vs V376/1-tab_v376a.jpg  
Old 8th October 2009
Gear Addict

sorry ... mistake

Thanks for the schematics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search