The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving up the microphone ladder Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Moving up the microphone ladder

Well well, if I'm not starting another "recommend a LDC microphone thread."

Sort of.

Basically I've been using both AT4040s, AT4050s, and more frequently the C414B ULS and TL IIs. They all get the job done. Sources are primarily male and female voices for voice over work. However, I've recorded a fair number of singing voices as well that were equally varied both in gender and timbre.

Typically I've rented microphones for each project, but I find myself renting, at the very least, a single LDC so frequently, it's time to consider adding one to my arsenal permanently. I usually rent a 414 ULS by default because I know it so well and never know what voices I'm going to encounter.

It's also rare that I'll have much time to experiment with mics for voices (often having to do the work on location.)

All this to say, I'm looking to purchase one quality LDC which will be used on a wide variety of sources. I have some quality Dynamics which have proved very useful, but it's time to stop spending $100/month or more on 4 days of 414-ULS mic rentals.

So far I've been looking at the Brauner Phantom V and the Neumann 87Ai. A local shop I deal with rents (and sells) them both.

What am I looking for in a mic? Well due to the unpredictable and variable nature of the sources, the goal is to acquire a product that would last me a long time, and be decent (not necessarily perfect) on a wide variety of voices and instruments.

One size fits all clothing is never very fashionable. It is convenient however. Thoughts?
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
So far I've been looking at the Brauner Phantom V and the Neumann 87Ai. A local shop I deal with rents (and sells) them both.
There you go. Rent them both for a week and hear for yourself. You're lucky. I can't do that where I live (Austin, Texas... you would think, but noooooo). So I have to buy before I try.

You can at least hear those two and you've already heard the AKG. Those are all very different mics, so one of them is bound to work out for you. Maybe you'll want a tube mic later, but one of these would do just nicely for now. If not forever.

Jasper
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Mike, have you tried protape? They used to rent equipment.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

No, I had no idea they rented equipment. All I knew about was rock&roll rentals, a great place to rent **** you'd never buy in a million years, right?

I think protape is still around.

Jasper
Old 11th September 2007
member no 666

Running the danger of active pimping; Mercenary is coming out with our first product this October. It's a small diaphragm FET condenser mic that is exceptionally reminiscent of the old Neumann KM-84... should cover a lot of the applications you've outlined in a pretty competent manner.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

The shop, Studio Economik (I think they advertise here now) actually carries a lot of your stuff Fletcher (the Mercenary editions of certain gear.) On another note how's the arm doing?

Will the mic have a set polar pattern?

I'm in no real rush at this point, seeing as though I have two (now maybe three mics to try out.)

Another concern is that I use Cardioid, Omni and Figure-Eight polar patterns a lot - a reason I would consider the Phantom V over the the Phantom-AE. I'm a big fan of M/S mic'ing which also means that ultimately I will be considering a SDC with a fixed cardioid polar pattern independently later on down the road, though I've always been partial to B&K (DPA).
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yoink,

You might love the Phantom a lot. It is considered to be no1 VO mic and it does great on many instruments. Got one off GS and cherish every moment captured...
(Will want a 4050 and a 414 -for tabla- though )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search