The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 7600 vs. GTQC Channel Strips
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

API 7600 vs. GTQC

I am open to any suggestions guys, looking for a channel strip for solely RNB vocals, i am in the final decision stages at this point and any last recommendations are well appreciated before i go for one of these units.

Budget is approx. $2500 in this case.

Please include reason as to why you would recommend one over the other specifically for rnb applications in this case.

Update: At this point i am leaning towards the gtqc, based on the posts i have seen from searches on the forums to date. Once again any additional feedback/info is most appreciated in the final moments on this decision: the api seems like it has a $500 pre onboard and just doesnt seemingly make sense to me, vs the gtqc which is seemingly more on the neve side of things and realistically i need the focus to be on the best preamp and tracking compressor as the main eq'ing will be done itb.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

1 bump for the 26 views and no comments.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

bumpity-bump
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Haven't heard the Aurora, but the dual compressor circuits look nice.

I love the 7600's, and own 2 right now. Big, bold, and beautiful..

There's one on eBay right now, currently at $2100....

http://cgi.ebay.com/API-7600-mic-pre...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 3rd May 2009
Gear Addict

Yeah! I want to know too!

Nobody own both? nobody compared them?

Which one have more mojo and presence for modern Pop Rock/ Rock Vocals??
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Both will serve your requirements. You are just going to have to listen to each one and make a choice

To my ears the Aurora is more of a Neve vibe and the API, is well, classic API.

I have used both strips and they are stellar. I probably would go with the Aurora, but I prefer darker Neve tones most of the time. Its really a personal choice at that level. A number of vendor will let you try both and ship back the unit that you like the least.

Get both!
Old 12th May 2009
Gear Addict

Which Vendors can let u try both?

Any more comments?
Old 12th May 2009
Gear Nut

Aurora GTQ2 +1

Plus one for the Aurora! Especially, for R+B vocals. It's gives all of the Neve vibe, but not so dark. Not to mention, Geoff is the best!
Old 12th May 2009
Gear Addict

- depends on your mic too..I've cut a lot of superstar R&B singers with either a manley cardio or brauner KHE into a 6176 with excellent results...but I recently upgraded my path to a bock 507-neve1084-retro 176...that's a big step up on all levels...but both setups get the job done professionally...
Old 12th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlemusic View Post
Plus one for the Aurora! Especially, for R+B vocals. It's gives all of the Neve vibe, but not so dark. Not to mention, Geoff is the best!

I also really like the API, and love the EQ on the 7600... But, for vocals the GTQC would be the choice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search