The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LA2A vs. Distressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear
LA2A vs. Distressor

Is the UA LA2A worth the extra $1500? I could get either for a really good used price, but would you go with the Distressor and use the leftover for pres or would you stick with one pre and go with the LA2A? Pretty much just going to use it for vocals...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd say get the Distressor and use the rest to go twards a good pre.

-SD
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I went through a big footprint tube gear phase. It was fun, but I got tired of having to walk across the room to adjust stuff. The heat generation was a pain in the ass too, although came in handy in the winter.

If this is for tracking, I think you'll get more millage from the distressor. I could see a use for that on just about any track. The LA2a, not so much. Plus, with the distressor, you won't have to worry about an aging opto cell or tubes.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd get a 1176
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is this for tracking or mixing? The Distressor would definitely be more versatile in both settings I think.

Brad
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Honestly, I don't think you'd like the Distressor on your voice. From listening to your shootouts, it sounds like you have an audiophiles ears, and the Distressor (while cool) sacrifices some depth and openness to do what it does (to others: if the rest of your gear isn't already exceptionally deep and open, you might not notice ... just depends what vibe you're after). I think it would compromise your chain. From listening to your clips, my gut reaction is that you really want a CL1B.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

give any thought to a Buzz Essence? has an overall clean smooth vibe with a bit of attitude(id say more "punch" than "color") from the transformers, wonderful on vocals. i love mine thumbsup

Buzz Audio essence Opto Compressor

only published review of the essence so far i think.

i couldnt say which i would prefer between an la2a and a distressor, i just know the essence is supposed to have a somewhat similar vibe to that of an la2a/la3a.

whichever one you end up choosing, im sure itll sound awesome. from hearing your files here on GS i can see that the source(most important part of the chain) is great!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Is the UA LA2A worth the extra $1500?

if it's just for vocals, and you want 'em huge, classic, and creamy... yes.

if it's just for vocals, and you want 'em tight, modern, with some kind of edge... distressor.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Vocals rule ...so, LA2A.

Quote:
I went through a big footprint tube gear phase. It was fun, but I got tired of having to walk across the room to adjust stuff. The heat generation was a pain in the ass too, although came in handy in the winter.
As for tubes ..only thing I ever noticed getting quite warm was the Manley stereo limiter.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search