The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
u 87 owners do you have yours serviced Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

u 87 owners do you have yours serviced

ok guys had mine for 5 years now......been used in an occaisionally smoky enviroment( cough cough!!) should I get it serviced by nuemann....I won't really be able to be sure if there is any loss of top end on it....which might be a byproduct of exposure to various contaminents.....but obviously want to get the best out of it and maintain it, Cheers.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

When I first bought mine from a friend, he said that something was up with it. I know that it had been around a lot of smoke. Hell, the last guys to use it were probably blowing bong hits into it. [can I even say that here?]

Anyway... I had to send it back to Neumann for a cleaning. When it came back, it sounded nice. Having not used the mic in years, I'd forgotten what a U87 sounded like. It was nice to receive confirmation from Neumann that it was in great shape and all it needed was a good cleaning of the capsule. And the guy said that it DID need a cleaning.

One great thing about these mics is that the capsule is cleanable. Unlike my AKG C414B-ULS(s). They employ mylar capsules and when they go, they need to be replaced. There is no way to clean them. I had mine re-capsuled last year sometime. They did sound better when they came back.

-Aaron
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

cheers absrek........I aint been blowing bong smoke into it or even cigarette smoke but have smoked in the general vicinity when it's been out......to be honest I don't know if it's lost any sheen on the sound since I use it regularly and would have to a/b recent with old audio files.......but thinking about getting a new preamp for it so want to make the best of it.......if I could afford to would also look into getting a mod. as I'm never really happy with sound
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

U87 Service

I did service mine through a guy in Israel (!) when I was working there. Apparently the man has somebody in Berlin who services Neumanns. It went to Germany and back in 10 days, got new capsule and moded electronics. This mic sounds so good today I am ever happy.
It was priced reasonably too - for such pro service. In the states it would cost double scale.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did service mine through a guy in Israel (!) when I was working there. Apparently the man has somebody in Berlin who services Neumanns. It went to Germany and back in 10 days, got new capsule and moded electronics. This mic sounds so good today I am ever happy.
It was priced reasonably too - for such pro service. In the states it would cost double scale.
I think I can get it serviced through nuemann here in uk apparently there is a very good guy here.....however was unaware that they would mod it for you also.......thought that was the preserve of highly skilled maverics! Do Nuemann approve of mods to their existing designs...I wonder. Don't have much cash so paying $1500 dollars to get it moded from Klaus or someone....no can do. However gonna get it serviced get myself a dav bg 1 and hopefully.....big full warm vocals....at the moment using a tla 5051....yuk!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

klaus heyne @ germanmasterworks.com
he has a great mod for the U87.

Tony Merrill at stephen paul audio.
Korby Audio
Bill BRadley
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I think I can get it serviced through nuemann here in uk apparently there is a very good guy here
Last one I had serviced (about 4 years ago) was at a rate of £95/hr

a new capsule for another around the same time was £475 all in...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Last one I had serviced (about 4 years ago) was at a rate of £95/hr

a new capsule for another around the same time was £475 all in...

Thanks ssaudio, very useful to know. £95 seems reasonable considering the delicacy and skill involved in doing this without damageing the mic
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

I had one of mine serviced / cleaned a couple months ago by SennheiserUSA. Had a very low level buzz in the mic and they cleaned it up. I think they cleaned the capsule too. Cost was $80 + $15 S/H + what it cost me to ship it to them.

All in all, was worth it.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

That's cheap! Sennheiser UK should have a chat with their American cousins regards hourly rates
Old 11th September 2007
Peter Drefahl

Top guy, top work.

Only guy I trust with my C24 so your U87 would be more than safe.

www.drefahlaudio.com
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Neumann/Sennheiser USA cleaned the capsule of one my U87 mics. It was not that much, under $100, and they did it pretty fast. For capsule cleaning, I would send it to them.

J. Mike Perkins
Old 27th September 2007
amd
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
Neumann/Sennheiser USA cleaned the capsule of one my U87 mics. It was not that much, under $100, and they did it pretty fast. For capsule cleaning, I would send it to them.

J. Mike Perkins

Ditto

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search