The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Marshall JCM 800 2203 & JMP 2203
Old 9th September 2007
Marshall JCM 800 2203 & JMP 2203

Hi everyone!

HELP!! I need to know what the differences between those 2 amps are, apart from the circuit board.

THANKS!!!!!
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

Aside from cosmetics, there is also the issue of the transformers.

I love both amps, but feel a JMP can be a little thicker sounding in its attack. Also louder too.

Both kick ass. I love em.
Old 9th September 2007
Thanks! But what do you mean about the issue of the tranformers? My JCM 800 2203 is from 1981. Are they really different? I heard they were the same. Do you have some further information? Thanxxx :D
Old 9th September 2007
If your 800 is from 81', then the Master Volume JMP's from around 79-80 will have the same guts. The only reason the outside look changed was to show Marshall's release form their previous distribution contract.

On a side note, if you NEED to have an older JMP, I'll buy your 81 from ya. I've been looking for one
Old 10th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecprod View Post
If your 800 is from 81', then the Master Volume JMP's from around 79-80 will have the same guts. The only reason the outside look changed was to show Marshall's release form their previous distribution contract.

On a side note, if you NEED to have an older JMP, I'll buy your 81 from ya. I've been looking for one
Hi! I would have like to, but I live in France... and you'll have to pay the shipping cost and maybe custom fees....
And also I am customising at the BEST Marshall customiser, here in Paris. That's why I asked the question, because the test amp custom they've got at the shop is a JMP 2203, and it's got a little more guts than my JCM 800 custom (but still amazingstike- he told me maybe because the tubes were brand new), even if the guy told me they were the same machine as he replaces the whole Circuit Board with their custom one, and only add 2 preamp tubes, an Effect Loop In & Out and If you ask, a reverb, another channel, and both channel have a Bass Boost and a Bright Boost push pull pots (Bright on the preamp volumeS and Bass on the Master volumes)
He told me he'd keep my amp to make it sound like the test amp. It's a shame this shop is not on the USA, because the Custom they make on Marshall is just AMAZING , and they would be very famous and moreover they would make a thousand of people Happier!
I'm talking from the point of view of a musician, but also as a sound mixer/ producer.
After custom, the amp looks like this: ImageShack - Hosting :: IMG_0301.jpg

If you wanna hear how it can sound, listen to Intro of the song "Qui de nous deux" by the french artist "M", or the live version of "Monde Virtuel" in the album "Le tour de M"

If you have any question :D
Here's the link to the Shop: valve's house music
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

JMP's are louder and the early JCM 800s tend to take the mods better because they are not as loud, since most of the popular mods add a tube for more gain. They are both great, I love them and couldn't live without them.
Old 10th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
JMP's are louder and the early JCM 800s tend to take the mods better because they are not as loud, since most of the popular mods add a tube for more gain. They are both great, I love them and couldn't live without them.
They make the same Customisation for JTM & JMP, not only for early JCM 800. They change the whole Circuit board and replace it. As soon as the JMP 2203 and my JCM 800 2203 are the same (tubes, power supply, blue capacitors...), exept for the circuit board, I just wondered why the JMP 2203 modded sounded a little little little better than the JCM 800 modded?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

do not wanna hi jack here but how do the 800s compare to the TSL series besides having 3 channels etc ?
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psklpt View Post
They make the same Customisation for JTM & JMP, not only for early JCM 800. They change the whole Circuit board and replace it. As soon as the JMP 2203 and my JCM 800 2203 are the same (tubes, power supply, blue capacitors...), exept for the circuit board, I just wondered why the JMP 2203 modded sounded a little little little better than the JCM 800 modded?
Marshall changed transformers regularly depending on what kind of a deal they could get from their suppliers. Output transformer differences are most likely what you are hearing.

By the way, I love that sound on that M song. He's a whale of a guitarist/composer, and a nice guy when I met him. Do you know him?
Old 10th September 2007
By the way, I love that sound on that M song. He's a whale of a guitarist/composer, and a nice guy when I met him. Do you know him?[/quote]

Hi! You're correct sir! He's an incredible guitarist and composer too, and his sound is amazing and amazingly produced. Unfortunately I'm not as lucky as you are, and never met him :D
I see you're from Paris too!
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

From California, but work and live in Paris...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just wondered why the JMP 2203 modded sounded a little little little better than the JCM 800 modded?
Like most instruments, every amp is going to sound different. Components age differently, sometimes the aging of electronics sound better than new...think old pickups when they start to lose a little steam, etc. So, if you were to repeat this experiment 8 more times, I'd bet you'd have 10 different sounding amps. That's why if you get a really good one, don't sell it.

m
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
depends on who "they" are that you're talking about. Are you seriously asking me why one amp sounds better than the other amp, when we are talking about 20-30 year old amps that have both been modded by someone referred to as "they"? There are 10 million reasons that could be the answer from what I know about the amps and the mods, which is almost nothing.

It depends on what the particular mod entails, whos doing it, what parts are changed, what are used, etc. Its too vague... but in my experience, the JCM's have turned out a tad better from the same modders, and some will only work on the 800's that I deal with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search