The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question: Strip for EQ'ing Vocals OTB? Channel Strips
Old 9th September 2007
Question: Strip for EQ'ing Vocals OTB?

Hey, though i do not post often, i have come to really value the expertise i have been picking up off this board for the past couple years.

I am mixing an urban project right now, and the vocal tracks i have received are in need of some work to get them sitting in the mix nicely. I have tried working on them in Nuendo 3 using my most coveted plugins... SSLEQ, URS Strip, REQ.. and they so far have left me wanting a different sound. Something about the lackluster way they were recorded...

I am now planning on working on the Vox OTB, which is not something i usually encounter as i generally receive well recorded tracks. I have Vintech x73i strips with both 1176 and distressor compression that come back into my Aurora 16, but i would like to have an additional EQ on hand. Can someone recommend a strip for me to rent that would be most useful to me?

Any input from the wealth of knowledge posting here would be appreciated!

Cheers

Jamie
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Jamie, you mentioned that the vocals weren't recorded very well. Is the tone just lousy? Are they clipped? When I was mixing an uptempo R&B/Hip Hop group at Sony Music Studios a few years back I had a problem getting my LV's to sit right because all of the louder phrases and Ad libs were clipped. There was this nasal midrange skwonkiness that would keep jumping in and out of the mix. Tried almost every EQ in the box and in the room (GML, Summit, SSL, API) and the one that ended up saving me was an Amek 9098 mic pre/EQ channel strip. I've used them a few times since then for the same application. Nice for carving out harsh problem frequencies in the high mids and plenty of "sheen" on top to pump life and air back into your gutted vocals.
If they're not clipped or distorted - just sort of blah sounding and EQ won't help, I'd try an SPL Vitalizer MKII or one of the tube variants. Good "magic box" for shaping ordinary sounds into something distinctive.
My two cents.
Good luck!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

l'il freq is becoming the classic for this app, it'll fix any vocal and pop it to the front of the mix. it's not the warmest or sweetest eq, but it's smooth and incredibly effective.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I personally think API 550b EQs are tremendous for voice. The high end of those eqs are smoother than a baby's bottom. hahaha
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

A touch of a Massive Passive brings about a beautiful sounding Vox.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionaut View Post
If they're not clipped or distorted - just sort of blah sounding and EQ won't help, I'd try an SPL Vitalizer MKII or one of the tube variants. Good "magic box" for shaping ordinary sounds into something distinctive.
+1

A vitalizer really can transform the sound in a more musical or exciting way which is hard to get from a traditionally eq. I'd go for one of the tube variants though, they sound smoother and richer to me. Not knowing how much time you have, keep in mind that there is a bit of a learning-curve to attend.

Good luck...
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

You could really carve with an API 550B, but if you don't have a 500 rack or lunchbox, that won't be an option. Get the two-channel outboard rack version, the 5500, and use it for this application, as well as others. It makes a killer mix-buss EQ.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

don't forget the avalon 2055!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search