The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass Guitar Signal Chain options
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Bass Guitar Signal Chain options

Hey guys. I am still trying to sort out the best options for recording bass. I finally got a great sounding bass with the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass (thanks to the help of many-a-slut). Now it is on to the signal chain. I am mostly concerned with using this in a very mobile situation, a small mobile rig. I have good stuff at home (Chandler TG-2, Neve 5043 compressor, etc).

For the road, I am looking at Adesigns REDDI and the Sansamp RBI

I will be using a Keeley 4-knob compressor pedal going into a RME Fireface 400 (probably a new Apogee Duet in about week).

First question is: Would I need a good pre like an API 512C or something on the road if I had either the REDDI or SANSAMP with me?

Second questions: I am unsure about the chain. Is it:

Bass guitar >>> Sansamp RBI >>>>Compressor>>>Fireface400

or

Bass guitar >>> Sansamp RBI >>>>GOOD PRE>>>Compressor>>>Fireface400

or

Bass guitar >>>REDDI>>> Compressor>>>Fireface400

or

Bass guitar >>> REDDI>>>>GOOD PRE>>>Compressor>>>Fireface400

Last question: Could/Should both of these be used together like this?

Bass guitar >>>REDDI>>> Sansamp RBI >>>>Compressor>>>Fireface400

or am I just getting silly now?

In true slut fashion, I will probably end up getting both, so you should know that up front. heh

It would be nice to hear your thoughts on the chain, and if a pre is really needed here. If so, can you recommend something that would conserve space? I really need a 1/2 rack or smaller solution for the pre. If I get a pre, I would like to be able to use it for more than bass guitar - but that is the focus here. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Bass .. Sansamp... Reddi... Compression? (maybe a touch..) Use your ears...

Should sound good..
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Bass .. Sansamp... Reddi... Compression? (maybe a touch..) Use your ears...

Should sound good..
Thanks. My ears suck, but I am slowly learning to deal with them. I would love to upgrade to the Michael Wagener cochlea implants, but I just can't afford them right now...

heh
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

ok, been thinking about it. Another option could be to use the Ampeg SVX stuff and model it on the road. If I did this, would I just go:

bass >>>> Compressor>>>Fireface400 line level input

This would save the most space. Any other suggestions?

Scott
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Just bought a Sansamp Bass Driver DI and the IK Multimedia Ampeg SVX. We will just have to figure out how to make it work. Thanks for all the help.
S
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

You will need a pre amp with the SansAmp bass driver. I think they are very cool for adding really colored high and low boosts and some extra grit.

Huge fan of the REDDI myself. it has enough output that you can usually use a compressors make up gain to get a good level (you can use a mic pre if you want to add its flavor).

These days I am doing many records where my recording chain is recording the REDDI and the bass driver (on separate tracks). it it gives me tons of flexibility and cool sounds.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I genereally mult the signal right off of the bass then go into my API 3124 DI to DAW, the second signal goes API 3124 DI to MC77 (spanked) to DAW. Sort of like parallel processing from the get go.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
You will need a pre amp with the SansAmp bass driver. I think they are very cool for adding really colored high and low boosts and some extra grit.

Huge fan of the REDDI myself. it has enough output that you can usually use a compressors make up gain to get a good level (you can use a mic pre if you want to add its flavor).

These days I am doing many records where my recording chain is recording the REDDI and the bass driver (on separate tracks). it it gives me tons of flexibility and cool sounds.
gimme a couple of example chains with the REDDI and the Sansamp. Which pre? Keep in mind this is a MOBILE rig...
S
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I recommend the Little Labs IBP, it's great for many things but I'm especially happy with it for bass and the output options are especially convenient:

The bass is plugged into the IBP and one side goes directly to PT from there via the IBP's XLR out. The signal is split to a Sans Amp PSA-1 as well via the IBP's 'buffered instrument' output. The cool thing is that you can adjust the DI signal with the IBP's 'phase adjust' to get the sound that suits you best when the channels are combined. I really like the PSA-1 for bass and so do most bass players that I record, but if the sound should turn out to be unsuited to the song in the end, then there's still the 'safety net' of the unaffected DI signal. Mostly I use both ch in the mix though.

But there's more: I also have a Little Labs STD, a cable extension device that prevents signal loss with longer cables and passive pickups. This works great when recording in the control room with the amps downstairs or vice versa. (I got two STDs now).

But last week when doing bass overdubs in the control room I wanted to hear how the STD sounds for a short cable run as well. So we used a standard 6 feet or so cable (Planet Waves) first and then changed to the STD. Both the bass player and myself couldn't believe it: The sound thru the STD was WAY better! Really a day and night difference and not some audiophile nit-picking 'I think I hear a bit more dimension here' stuff......Unbelievable and it only reinforces what I knew before: The Little Labs stuff is great and then some!
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

you should get awesome results with just the geddy lee and the sans amp
seriously, those little boxes rule!
the sans is a preamp in itself so theres no need to purchase anything else, unless you really feel the sound is unacceptable
..in that case i have heard the api pres rule for bass

tune your bass up and just play around with what you've got.
good luck

oh by they way, lay off on the presence knob
if can sound cool with it fairly high while tracking, but once you play it back it comes out quite harsh and bright
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Well,
Which do you think is more important, a properly compressed bass or a properly EQ'd bass?
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
Well,
Which do you think is more important, a properly compressed bass or a properly EQ'd bass?
hmm.... I would rather have properly compressed bass printed, and then I can tweak the eq if I needed to.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore98 View Post
hmm.... I would rather have properly compressed bass printed, and then I can tweak the eq if I needed to.
Well I'd have to prefer a properly EQ'd one myself to compression. But that's ok. I guess it will depend on how you play your bass, the style, with a pick, fingering, slapping… and lots of other variables that will determine the compressor that will fit you personally. Although I've noticed that good FET compressors (1176's especially) work well on bass regardless of the style.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

REDDI +

The best bass recording/playing rig I've heard:

Eden World Tour 800 bass amp (direct out) -> REDDI -> Distressor
(we also sometimes mic the cabinet so we have both DI and mic'd)

I play a 1971 Les Paul Pro bass, but we've also tried a Ibanez 5 string, a Music Man, etc. and they all sound great. I've also used, and really liked a Summit TD-100 as a bass pre.

In any case, the REDDI is a great piece of gear.

--Jeff
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

The Keeley 4-knob compressor pedal came in. I am still awaiting the Sansamp Bass Driver DI. I gotta say though that the Keeley has already improved the sound quite a bit. It is a phenominal pedal that I have seen better sound from both bass and guitar already.

Scott
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore98 View Post
The Keeley 4-knob compressor pedal came in. I am still awaiting the Sansamp Bass Driver DI. I gotta say though that the Keeley has already improved the sound quite a bit. It is a phenominal pedal that I have seen better sound from both bass and guitar already.

Scott
The Keely is awsome, isnt it...
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

The Sansamp Bass Driver DI pedal came in today. Man, maybe I am just simple but putting the Sansamp into the Keeley and straight into the Fireface sounds good enough for me.

I also have to say that the Gedddy Lee Fender J-Bass makes a huge difference. Easy to play for one, but the volumes knob for each pickup gives you a lot of different sounds with just slight tweaks.

I love the Sansamp overdrive for the bass. I feel like with these three pieces I can pretty much do what I need on the bass with a very mobile unit.

I still intend to get a REDDI from Adesigns for home, but this is a perfect set up for the road.

Scott
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Addict

OK, here is the result:

Geddy Lee Fender >>> Sansamp Bass Driver DI >>>> Keeley >> FF400

Drums is a loop, guitars are Cubase basic models...nothing special - just trying to show the bass sound...

Scott
Attached Files

basstest.mp3 (3.94 MB, 1978 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search