The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken Ela M 260 mic Condenser Microphones
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
Drums overhead would be highly appreciated! As well as stereo ac. guitar
I've recorded both of what you want but can't release the files.
The mic worked much like a KM84 with a similar voicing.

I'll have to record some new material that is just for the thread.

Did you manage to hear the guitar files because I stumbled across this by chance and was pleasantly surprised how good it was on electric guitar?
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Audio View Post
The mic worked much like a KM84 with a similar voicing.

I'll have to record some new material that is just for the thread.

Did you manage to hear the guitar files because I stumbled across this by chance and was pleasantly surprised how good it was on electric guitar?
I didn't, there was an error while downloading it, so I gave up, trashed the file and got back to the song I'm working on instead!

Maybe I'll try later

Thanks anyway
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hello Ian,

Your post gives no new information and obfuscates instead of clarifying.

Let's get back to the question-- why does TelefunkenUSA name a completely new mic, a new creation, with the same name as a known and actual mic from the 1960's?

Clearly you all want the customer to bathe in the vintage vibe and assumed "quality," yet you do not differentiate how your mic is the same or different from the original AKG.

In other places on your website, the company goes on at length to describe the differences between capsules, vacuum tubes, accessories et al.

What sound world does this new 260 mic inhabit?

Please pass this complaint on to the head monster.

thank you,
Plush
My point is that the Professional Series description isn't supposed to say "replicas of familiar classics" anymore. The fact that it still does was just an oversight on our part.

So again, it is the NEW Ela M 260. Just like the Apple Imac and the Ford F-150, it is the new version of a classic microphone and we have the right to name it any way that we see fit. If you want information on the differences between the new microphone and the vintage one look it it. It's not in anyones's best interest for us to say what the microphone isn't, what you want to know is what it is. All of that information is on the website. If you want to know the differnces between the two mics, look up the specs. Honestly, I'm not interested in debating this any more. If someone likes what we do, that's great. If not, that's fine too.
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

Ian, I am surprised at you.

What an arrogant and ignorant response.

Your analogy to the Ford or the Apple computer is laughable.

Ford always made the F150 and Apple always made the iMac.

AKG in Vienna made the 260, not TelfeunkenUSA. You're delusional in asserting that your company already made something in the 1960's and now is making a re-do of something you already designed.

Despite my complaint above, I ended my post by asking what does the new 260's
sound resemble. What sound world does it inhabit?

You don't or won't answer that question and I made the mistake of assuming you are knowledgeable in this area. Why are none of the principals like Mr. "Porsche" Fishman or other management with design responsibility answering instead of you?

Your response is laughable.
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
From my recording and experience with the M260 (cardiod capsule only) on electric guitar, acoustic guitar, hi-hat and drum overheads, I would say it exhibits a similar voicing to the KM84 and can be used happily in the same applications with great results. I would add that the M260 has a bit more bite and could be described as slightly more aggressive (in a good way).

I should also point out that I'm not a fan on the KM184 at all as I feel it has far too much boost in the tops making cymbals zing and sizzle too much. The M260 is much smoother and darker than the KM184 and that to me is already a step in the right direction.

Since the KM84 is no longer made, the M260 is certainly worth checking out and I do believe it's a worthy addition to the mic locker.
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

AKG in Vienna made the 260, not TelfeunkenUSA. You're delusional in asserting that your company already made something in the 1960's and now is making a re-do of something you already designed.

You don't or won't answer that question and I made the mistake of assuming you are knowledgeable in this area. Why are none of the principals like Mr. "Porsche" Fishman or other management with design responsibility answering instead of you?

AKG made the 260 for the original Telefunken and it was never badged as anything other than a Telefunken, therefore it's a Telefunken. They didn't make the U 47 or the Ela M 251 either, but they are still considered Telefunken microphones. Look, I apologize for sounding arrogant or ignorant, it just seemed that you were constantly missing my point, which was that the Professional series mics are not replicas of familiar classics. They started off that way, but with the addition of the RM-5C and the Ela M 260, that quickly changed. I'll say it again, the Ela M 260 is not designed to be a replica of the original. It is designed to be something new. Should it be called the Ela M 260F? Maybe, but that is not my call to make. Complaining to me about it is not going to change the fact that it is named how it is named. Again, I apologize for the confusion.

As far as what "sound world" it inhabits, here ya go:

From my personal experience, the Ela M 260 seems to be its own entity. It's not dark like a Neuman, but it's not really bright like an AKG 451 either. It has a detailed, open top end without being overly bright or harsh. The low end is big, tight, and solid. It seems to have a certain amount of depth to it that I have not heard in a Neumann KM84 or an AKG 451E. Compared to a vintage Schoeps 221B, the 260 seems a little more polished sounding, maybe even a little more "real" if you may. Actually, a couple of weeks ago, I had a horn session that included a flute, soprano and tenor saxes, trombone, and trumpet. The Ela M 260 was quite possibly the best microphone I have used yet on a flute (the title was previously held by a Schoeps CMC6 with an MK4 capsule). It also performed fantastically on both of the saxes. It just seemed to have a certain amount of realism that I hadn't heard in other small diaphragm condenser microphones before. When it came time for mixdown, I found that I didn't have to do anything to it to make it work in the mix, aside from adding a touch of verb.

There you have it, a personal "real world" description of the Ela M 260. As far as me not being qualified or knowledgable enough about it to answer your question, that is a misguided assumption. Of any person here at Telefunken | USA, I am one of the most qualified to speak about our products sonically. I hope that this information was helpful.
Old 1st February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
Drums overhead would be highly appreciated! As well as stereo ac. guitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Audio View Post
I've used the M260US (how about that to clarify it and not have to type TelefunkenUSA Ela M260?) on two sessions now and am posting files as time allows. I have recordings of drum overheads (not posted) and strings (already posted) and a few other things.

I also wrote a brief review with pictures that I'm adding to as time and memory permits. If you're interested, it's here:

Telefunken Ela M-260 Tube Mic - 3dB

Don't anyone ask me how it compares to an original because, until I read this thread, I didn't even know there was another mic by that name.
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

I this new mic from China?
Are these Chinese capsules in the mic set?

With thanks for any clarification.
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear
Those sounded really great, Lynn...

Hey Ian - Meriphew asked about the U67 - did Tele ever re-badge the 67?
Old 7th February 2008
You may want to check out these samples on acoustic guitar. Compared with a KM-84. Also you can hear the different capsules.

Telefunken USA Ela M-260 Tube Mic - 3dB

Go to post 26.
Old 7th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Those sounded really great, Lynn...

Hey Ian - Meriphew asked about the U67 - did Tele ever re-badge the 67?
Sorry, I must have missed this. I did reply in another thread though. Yes, Telefunken did rebadge a U 67.
Old 7th February 2008
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
I this new mic from China?
Are these Chinese capsules in the mic set?

With thanks for any clarification.
I'm really interested in this mic and would like to know the same question.
Old 19th February 2008
bee
Lives for gear

Bump! ... for the question above.
Old 19th February 2008
Lives for gear

3rd. request for information

3rd. request

I am a fan of the AK47 mic from your company. It is a great sounding microphone.

There, with that mic, TeleUSA successfully married a Chinese capsule with your own electronics re-do and you added a great TAB -Funkenwerk transformer. The design works well.

I am standing by to hear the news about the 260. Did you use the same thinking and design with the TeleUSA 260?
Old 2nd March 2008
bee
Lives for gear

4th request for information

Is telefunken USA out to lunch in China?
Old 18th March 2008
bee
Lives for gear

Bump for the above question for the 5th time.
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

omg! its a god damn analogy! I could compare a a piece of paper to a ford.
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah! I second that.

Plush, why don't you complain to AKG that the new 414 isn't the same as the ones made in the sixties and that they should change the name. I know that they all have different suffixes, but whenever someone around here says, "C414" I don't get my panties in a bunch over which model from whatever era!!!
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

BTW, Ian, good job on a very nice microphone. Call it whatever you want.
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

yeah, and someone please post mp3 comparisons between the M260 and the Mercenary KM-69. That would be very nice, and could end up saving me $600
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

Analogy is the weakest form of argument. A poor analogy is simply not making the poster's case. You can read why I have a complaint about TELE USA. I think they are trading on a name and model number of their new mic. It is named like a real item, looks like the real thing, but has no resemblance to the actual real model made decades earlier by AKG.

The post by bobwarren is not taking into account that all the 414's ARE MADE BY AKG.
They are not made by someone else.

This new TELE USA mic smells Chinese to me. That means I will gladly pay 2-3 times as much to avoid having a Chinese mic. Greedy TELE USA is hosing the customer as they mark up the selling price 1000%.

DOWN with the CHI-COMMS (murderers in Tibet)
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

Oh the irony...
Old 9th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Down to the Sound

Quote:

DOWN with the CHI-COMMS (murderers in Tibet)

Yep, the reason behind half a dozen angry posts finally unveils

And you say this as opposed to the other icon-microphone-manufacturing-nations that have "neeever" committed a crime......right?

I will just say this:
Last weekend I did a shootout comparing the m260s with my all time favorites: Schoeps 221b and m222 (all matched pairs). I decided to leave another favorite, the km84 out, as it is not a tube mic.
The m260USA is a superb recording tool. Sound is crisp but smooth, very accurate, amazing stereo separation and a level of realism found in very few mics out there.

Because of the m260s outstanding value it is reasonable to assume that some components are manufactured in cost effective countries. IMVHO I couldn't care less if parts came out of Tarzans ass, if the sound achieved is THIS GOOD!
The only other issue with Chinese product for me besides sound, is reliability. TeleUSA's response to this is a 10year warranty that shows just how much the company is willing to back their craftsmanship!

I really encourage those curious enough, to try the m260USA.

Congratulations TeleUSA on an outstanding product!

Best to all,
~A
Old 9th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Could come up with another analogy:

Funai will be making and selling TV's in the USA with Philips and Magnovox name on them starting in Sept. Philips is leaving the US TV market but wants to keep a name presence hence licensing the name.

or: Thomasville (furniture maker): I receieved two end tables exactly the same, one made in the USA one in China (pissed me off) workmanship was the same (thank god) but no discount for being made in china :-(

I know I know, completely different situation but what the hey.

TeleUSA does makes a nice sounding product.

Sorry for OT
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

No comment.
Old 9th April 2008
Yada Yada Yada..............

How does the mic sound? Thats the question here.

Its sounds amazing! I think if you at all like the color of the AK47, you will flip over the M260. Its has a depth that many other SDC's don't offer in the bottom octave. Its very detailed and "roundish" in the top end, and simply nuetral throughout the midrange. Even though it has a roundish top end, it still has clarity and quick transient response, but its simply smooth as glass on every source.

It works really well on acoustic GTR, drum overheads [try floor side with the three mic setup], any kind of string instrument and certainly percussion. I have also found that it works well with every preamp in the rack, but my favorite preamp to use with the M260 is the Martech MSS-10.
Old 9th April 2008
plush is asking fair questions and getting
vague unaccountability in responses
Old 9th April 2008
Gear Addict

I must say,

After reading about 50 posts by PLUSH, on this and other threads, I am beginning to wonder the real reason behind him adamantly HATING anything chinese.

Maybe he asked some chinese dude out on a date, and the guy turned him down and he is taking his rejection out on the whole damn country.

And PLUSH, in regards to your "murderers in Tibet" comment, its a good thing those Neumann mics, and Studer recorders you love so much were made in a country that never committed any crimes against humanity.

-Neil
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

The Chinese army is murdering people inTibet today, this week and last week. It is happening right now. Be informed and take whatever action you feel is appropriate.
The German's crimes took place over 60 years ago. I was not alive then and I hold zero responsibility for what they did.

Some posters here may choose to bypass German mics because 60 years ago Germany was led by a madman and he exhorted his countrymen to do bad deeds. If they choose to bypass German mics, they will be bypassing the best tools.

I dislke everything about what China is doing to our country. Bill Clinton began to sell us out to China and the BushMaster has continued.

China floods our country with 10 billion t-shirts and mosty disposable Chinese junque.
They have fueled a race to the bottom and robbed jobs from us. They have flooded our little corner in junky cheap audio ****.

Buy it cheap today, throw it out soon. Dump it, dump it, dump it.

TELE USA makes some good mics. But this one's Chinese so I don't want it.
I buy FLEA mics when I want a fantastic tube mic.
Old 9th April 2008
Gear Addict

Well PLUSH,

I pretty much agree with everything you are saying. But I personally am more angered at American's (Bush, and his corporate buddies) who are letting the chinese slowly destroy our economy. The Chinese are just trying to make a buck. Its the people selling out American workers who you should be pissed at.

I also agree that 99% of the capsules coming out of China are garbage, but I don't hate them for it.

Would you get this worked up over Italian food made in Iceland?

-Neil

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search