The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much did you pay for your HD core system?
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Head

How much did you pay for your HD core system?

I'm trying to find out pricing on an HD1 core card with Pro Tools but no dealer will give me a quote. Is this just something people don't talk about? It's like they want me to say, "I'll buy it today, name your price!"fuuck

SILLY!!

Then they try to get me on more gear right away WITHOUT TELLING ME HOW MUCH I WAS ALREADY SPENDING ON WHAT I ASKED FOR!!!

Am I off base for getting miffed?

How much did you pay? Certainly not the List Price!!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

buy one USED!

you'll save a bundle, especially in the long run re ROI.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

3100.00 used
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

HD2 system with 96 convertors. $3000
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

much more than
this
way
too
much
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcohol View Post
HD2 system with 96 convertors. $3000
That sounds like my kind of deal.

Been thinking of getting into PT via a carefully configured MP or LE setup. Not a chance. Still no ADC. Not cool.

So PTHD is somewhere in my near future. Already got an Aurora too. Does PTHD compensate for native plug-in delay? I've been told that the rig can run TDM at near no latency but can you increase the buffer size to lessen the hit to your native CPU running RTAS?

I'm trying to do an HD1 if possible... Is it possible to effectively use native plug-ins with HD or do you have to go TDM for it to work smoothly?

Thanks for the responses guys!

Also, why go HD2? Are you really limited trying to do projects on HD1?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

i have not done one digital project since upgrading from HD 1
to HD 2 - i would recommend a week of five star living in
brazil over HD2

be well

- jack
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

HD1 Accel PCIe (New In Box, Not From Dealer Though) - 4,000

Used Accel PCie Card eBay - 1200.00

Total for HD2 Accel PCIE - 5200.00

Satisfaction from Using it: Priceless.......
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

it depends on the size of your projects and how many plugs you use, the thing is like barry mentioned in one of this threads a while ago, you can track with the TDM plugs and when it comes time to mix, switch to RTAS, that way your CPU takes the load leaving you cards alone, i would do this but i have a AMD 4000 single core, so another card is a better option for me
Old 9th September 2007
Deleted 86c3d96
Salesman," What's your budget? How much do you want to spend?"
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I got mine when it came out so ....

£6000 incl 96IO.
A lot of money in todays prices but I've earned more than enough to cover it.
Since upgraded to HD3 accel for an addtional $2500.

Unless I have a hardware failure I see no reason to upgrade to more recent hardware (Mac Pro/PCIE).
If I can't make records with what I have then I am in the wrong profession.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
it depends on the size of your projects and how many plugs you use, the thing is like barry mentioned in one of this threads a while ago, you can track with the TDM plugs and when it comes time to mix, switch to RTAS, that way your CPU takes the load leaving you cards alone, i would do this but i have a AMD 4000 single core, so another card is a better option for me
So an HD1 system is usable then? I can adjust the latency of my session to keep from straining my Opteron 185 (dual core in A8V deluxe) right? I'll gladly just stick to my collection of native plug-ins if I can avoid forcing them to work at low latency. I'd like to use my current audio PC and just ONE HD card. I don't plan on tracking anything above 24-bit/44.1kHz so that should help with resources too.

If somebody can confirm that A) you can tweak the buffer size of a session/project to reduce CPU usage and that B) latency of my phatty, non-TDM plug-ins will be automatically compensated for a la Nuendo/Cubase, I'll start shopping today.

Again, thanks for all your input, friends.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

ive gotten by with it so far, but my projects usually only hit about 20 to 30 tracks and i also work at 24/44.1. I try to get the sound i want going in , so i use about 10 to 15 plugs, good performances can make a huge difference
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Bring me an HD Accel card as a gift and I take you to some of the top beaches in the south of Brazil as well as for diner.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Definitely check out used systems... you'll probably get away with it much cheaper. I can't give you a price for new HD systems in dollar because those kind of things are much more expensive here in Sweden (I looked at the new iMac today, it was priced several hundred dollars more in the Swedish Apple store for instance). What i can tell you do, is that I've seen used HD3 systems go for around the price of a new HD1.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearingedge View Post
That sounds like my kind of deal.

Been thinking of getting into PT via a carefully configured MP or LE setup. Not a chance. Still no ADC. Not cool.

So PTHD is somewhere in my near future. Already got an Aurora too. Does PTHD compensate for native plug-in delay? I've been told that the rig can run TDM at near no latency but can you increase the buffer size to lessen the hit to your native CPU running RTAS?

I'm trying to do an HD1 if possible... Is it possible to effectively use native plug-ins with HD or do you have to go TDM for it to work smoothly?

Thanks for the responses guys!

Also, why go HD2? Are you really limited trying to do projects on HD1?
This was a used system. I got the HD2 because that's what the guy was selling. It is a PCi system so I have to use older computers. I got a used Mac G5 1.86 for $850 so my entire system with the Mac cost me $3850, not includiing plugins.

I have some native plug ins and some TDM plug ins. The system has never blinked and I'm not nearly pushing it, even though I've used up to 40 plugins. I find the stock Digi plugins are good, especially the EQs for surgical EQ use. I use the MCDSP M2000 for compression because it's so versatile. The Massey plug ins are great, especially the L2007 which has uses beyond "mastering." The Massey TD5 analog tape delay plug-in is my go to plug for delays. Otherwise I use outboard reverbs, compressors and the EQ from my console.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

Alright then. It's decided...

Now the drama of the DAW is totally over with. Keep the computer optimized for audio, use pro tools, work work work... die.

I'm down.

See you on the other side.

Thank you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search