The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
LA3A owners - MOD Gain Switch usage/vocal tips? La-3A
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

LA3A owners - MOD Gain Switch usage/vocal tips? La-3A

Just unpacked my UA La-3A like an excited kid and been playing with it. First impressions are how much it thickens up tracked vocals! Great stuff so far. Was reading the blurb and Clearmountain used the re-issue on springsteen who i love.

Juts a couple of questions from an excited slut:

1: Just want to throw this one out there; how many of you use the MOD Gain Switch on the back to TRACK vocals?

2: Also does turning up the gain a lot affect the sound in any adverse way?? because i'm having to turn it up quite high to get a decent make up gain.. I'm going from my API A2D which clips REALLY easily - i mean the API mic input is at 9 o'clock!

3: Any other La3A tips for tracking vox would be appreciated

4: EDIT Major worry; i've been getting some strange noise - nothing is clipping and i don't think it's wet lips. I can't determine what it is. Any clues? I've scrubbed the wav form and cant' see anything. Am using new Van Damme cables as well.
1.5mb wav file included This is a simple voice test:YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement I
some more fuzzy sounds 500kb: YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement
(API input 9pm / api output 11pm > LA3A gain 5 Peak reduction 3 (-3 - 5db)
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I love my LA3a on vocals. Of course mine are original. heh

Anyway, I have the HF contour backed off on one of them so as to keep the high "sibilant" frequencies from kicking it in. I like to hit it kind of hard (shocker coming from me, I know). I have my other one with the sidechain flat for guitar and stuff. Haven't tried it on bass yet. I imagine it would be kind of nice though considering that it has a nice roll off in the side chain below 100Hz. For a box with two knobs, it certainly is complicated.

As for your problem, I would try to isolate it by taking everything out of the chain. Switch mics, preamps (if possible), cabling, etc. until you hear the noise go away. If it doesn't, there may be something wrong with it. I don't have time to listen to the audio clips but this is what I'd do in your case.

-Aaron
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh yeah... since mine are original, I have no idea about the MOD GAIN switch. It was probably a popular mod that Universal Audio decided to incorporate on the reissue.

-Aaron
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the LA3A vote of confidence! - i have the HF contour rolled off too. After a short play i found hitting it hard (ie, GR of -10DB) to sound a bit too much. I agree also, it's more than a 2 knob box.

I've narrowed the weird fuzz down to the LA3A and i can't figure it out :(
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Head

what is the noice you are hearing in "your" end?
cause i cant hear anything wrong judging from the mp3 clip
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

it's very slight at the start of of waveform like a fuzzy sound.. the beginning of the 2nd clip is the most prominent- i've recorded my voice a thousand times and never noticed that sound before...could of been my equipment was low end! It sounds like blowing paper against your lips. It's most likely something silly on the compressor - maybe i'm hitting it to hard...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I finally figured out the problem, i have -10 selected on my soundcards digital input instead of +4. doh!
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by music View Post
1: Just want to throw this one out there; how many of you use the MOD Gain Switch on the back to TRACK vocals?
The gain mod is based on a mod that Ed Evan came up with. The idea behind it was to make it better suited for recording studio use. One would always have to crank the Gain control which in turn cranked up the noise. This mod puts the Gain and Peak Reduction controls in a better more usable range for recording music while keeping the noise floor low. So, to use it properly put the Gain switch to 50dB and the Mod switch up.

I always have it in.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing your settings wurly! To add, it's also known as the Clearmountain mod even though evans is the man behind it. I belive from reading the manual when you flip the switch is disengages the gain and switches up 50db automatically.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurly200 View Post
The gain mod is based on a mod that Ed Evan came up with. The idea behind it was to make it better suited for recording studio use. One would always have to crank the Gain control which in turn cranked up the noise. This mod puts the Gain and Peak Reduction controls in a better more usable range for recording music while keeping the noise floor low. So, to use it properly put the Gain switch to 50dB and the Mod switch up.

I always have it in.
Interesting... I have noticed that my gain makeup never really gets past "3", even while biting down on something 8-10dB or more. Any more gain than that, and I'll clip my converters big time. Does this sound like my originals have this mod?

-Aaron
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec View Post
Interesting... I have noticed that my gain makeup never really gets past "3", even while biting down on something 8-10dB or more. Any more gain than that, and I'll clip my converters big time. Does this sound like my originals have this mod?

-Aaron
Sounds un-modded to me. Best way to tell is to figure out where unity gain at the -50 setting without any compression. [This is a good idea for any LA-3 just to get a handle on the gain structure]. If it is well below '4' then I would say it is un-modded. The mod I did to mine was a simple resistor value change. Unity gain now sits around '4' at -50, and close to '6' at -30.

Cheers,
John
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
Best way to tell is to figure out where unity gain at the -50 setting without any compression.
How do I do this?

I will say that I haven't had any noise problems. I also have noticed that the two seem to be almost matched when it comes to gain and peak reduction in relationship to where the knobs are. Maybe someone calibrated them once?

-Aaron
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec View Post
How do I do this?

I will say that I haven't had any noise problems. I also have noticed that the two seem to be almost matched when it comes to gain and peak reduction in relationship to where the knobs are. Maybe someone calibrated them once?

-Aaron
It's not a cal issue. Unless the thing is busted, they all tend to sit in the same place setting-wise [provided the gain and comp/lim switches are set the same, obviously]. That's been my experience with the ones I've come across in my travels. The only major difference depends on which optos are in the unit. I'm not an expert, but I believe there were two different optos -- one with a little faster response than the other. And then there are the rebuilt optos, which fall somewhere in that spectrum. The mod [well, the one done to my LA-3's] is changing R14 to 47K from the stock 220K.

hope this helps...

John
Old 10th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
Was reading the blurb and Clearmountain used the re-issue on springsteen who i love.
Where did you read that Clearmountain used a re-issue on Springsteen's? As far as I know he uses 4 vintage moded UREI's.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

delcosmos - it says it in the UA product catalogue 2007 which i received with the unit. It says something like he tried the reissue and loved it, used it... note near it now but was surprised myself! Another cool reason to use the mod switch
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

for that mix he used a reissue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Where did you read that Clearmountain used a re-issue on Springsteen's? As far as I know he uses 4 vintage moded UREI's.

Best regards.

Armando Avila.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I love my LA-3A reissue! I set it on 'Gain mod' and kept it that way because it seems to work great. Besides vocals I also got good results on electric and acoustic guitars and snare. Just a few days ago I recorded some upright bass and prepared myself for some major headaches. After a few tries and a change of room we settled on a single KM 84, the sound was good but something was lacking. Then I thought 'why not try the LA-3A' and there it was, a sound that we were really happy with. I really plan to get a second one as there are so many uses for it while tracking.

I love the way the LA-3A thickens up the sound while also adding presence.
Old 10th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
delcosmos - it says it in the UA product catalogue 2007 which i received with the unit. It says something like he tried the reissue and loved it, used it... note near it now but was surprised myself! Another cool reason to use the mod switch
Cool, I want to buy a re-issue too, I already have a pair of vintage LA3a racked in perfect condition and moded by VK (with comp/limit switch in the front plate), and altough they sound great, when I use them as a stereo pair they sound very different from each other, I don't know, maybe they are from different years because one have the "Teletronix" logo and the other doesn't, so I want a matched stereo pair. I'm sure they sound as good as their Vintage family.

Best regards.

Armando Avila
Attached Thumbnails
LA3A owners - MOD Gain Switch usage/vocal tips? La-3A-la3a.jpg  
Old 10th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurly200 View Post
for that mix he used a reissue.
Thanks for that info Wulrly, could you elaborate a bit more?
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Thanks for that info Wulrly, could you elaborate a bit more?
He used it on the LV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search