The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADesigns 500 HR question 500 Series Preamps
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

ADesigns 500 HR question

Can you put only the adesigns 500 series in this unit, or can you also put any API 500 series modules in it as well?

How easy would it be to swap out modules? Would you put them in and leave them alone or easy enough to swap out when you needed to?

thanks in advance,

Scott
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

From A-Designs website:

"The 500HR is a dual slot, single space, rack mounted frame with power supply for A Designs and other 500 Series compatible audio modules."

(Emphasis added.)
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

This topic was covered in an earlier thread, and if I remember correctly, Peter of A Designs said the 500 HR is interchangeable with other 500 rack units.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

One would assume API 500 series would be as compatible as they come. I would hate to buy it and then learn I cannot swap them out between A Designs and API. It is the solution I need to take a higher end 4-band EQ and an API pre on the road and not need to get a lunchbox. I was thinking this might be perfect to have a single channel API EQ and Pre to use for recording guitars and bass. Then if you did not need the eq and needed to use two channels to mic, you could just swap out the eq for another pre. I just wonder how much work that would be or how easy it would be unseating and reseating the modules.

I love the way the randall MTS modules can be swapped out so easily for guitar and if you could do something similar with pres and eqs like this, that would be awesome!

Scott
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Guys,

Yes you can swap API, Speck, BAE, Avedis, Chandler, and a few others.
BUT I had a small issue with my metal face plate on the early units.

I didn't take into account a few things and the bay slots are slightly smaller so maybe some will not fit. BUT I took care of that and opened the slots more so there should be no problems now.
If you have a unit that an API 512c will not fit into then just contact me and I will replace the face plate. The last serial number on the first run was 70029.

Anything above that number is 100% cool.

Yes, and the price is right 299.00 MAP.....!

Thank you for considering A-Designs Audio.

Peter
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I just want to make triple sure - If I get this thing I could buy like 5 different modules and swap them out daily or weekly depending on my needs and I won't run into issues? I am just trying to figure out how durable the modules are and how easy they are to swap without damaging any of the components. is it like popping in a PCI card on a PC?

Would you be able to tighten down to the faceplate by hand and be able to get it tight enough or do you have to use a screw driver?

Scott
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore98 View Post
Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I just want to make triple sure - If I get this thing I could buy like 5 different modules and swap them out daily or weekly depending on my needs and I won't run into issues? I am just trying to figure out how durable the modules are and how easy they are to swap without damaging any of the components. is it like popping in a PCI card on a PC?

Would you be able to tighten down to the faceplate by hand and be able to get it tight enough or do you have to use a screw driver?

Scott
Hi Scott,

If you go with ANY of the racks for the 500 Series you would be able to exchange units. That's what the concept is all about.
But in the true SLUTZ tradition you have to FILL all the slots heh

All joking aside, yes it is like a PCI Card...you line it up then push it in snug.
Sometimes it's a tad difficult until you get the hang of it.
On our units I always leave the 48v or in the case of the EM-PEQ By-pass switch, "on" so the red led lights up when I make a solid connection into the edge connector. That just tells me there is power to the card and it should be fine.

Now on the screws to the face plate.....that's a personal call I feel.
If you plan on running around town and not having the screws to hold the units in place they could and most likely will dangle out. But if you are just using it when the rack is stationary I don't forsee any issues.
I always like to screw them in because it looks nice and I feel there is a more solid connection in my mind and I move around alot so there is no pressure applied to the PCB. I'm talking more about the 6 and above slots "Lunch Boxes" now.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me direct and I will be more than happy to help.

Best of luck,

Peter
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search