The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Charter Oaks vs. U195 vs. Mojave Condenser Microphones
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

Charter Oaks vs. U195 vs. Mojave

Hey Everyone!

Hopefully this belongs in "high end" forum and I'm not commiting a total noob faux-pas. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with 2 or all three of the following mics? I'm trying to buy a workhorse LDC for my fledgling home studio. I'm interested in bang-for-the-buck and the mic will mostly be used primarily for vox and secondarily acoustic and electric (room) guitars.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Andy
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I had a 195 for awhile but sold it when I got the CO 538b. The CO is just beautiful and bright in a C12 sort of way. Very present and detailed without being harsh. I liked the 195, and it was very nice and versatile, but for the use I needed them for, which was female vocals, I preferred the 538b.

No experience with the Mojave.
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

Kyle

Thanks for the reply. I have the Charter Oak 538 on order to try out. I was afraid that the 538b might be too bright for female vox, or electric guitar. I'm really excited to try this bad larry out. Any passing similarities to a C12 are great because the singer I record the most (my GF) sounds great on a C12.

I also got a Mojave MA-2 on loan the other day and it sounded fine. I could live with it, but it wasn't anything fantastic. I think you can find them for under $900 and it was better than the Rode tube mic, so it's got that going on.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search