The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
preamp preamp preamp Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

preamp preamp preamp

looking to upgrade to a good preamp because of my budget i think i'm going to start of with one channel pre. I was looking ME-1NV and was mainly going to use it for hip hop r&b type vocals. But down the line i want to upgrade to get more channels for my keyboard and other instruments. Right now i'm running at4060 -----> apogee minime ------> 002 LE

But i was considering maybe a lunchbox concept and just keep building on to that. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 8th September 2007
Stop da music!

If you ever wanted a four channel pre that's insanely good-- totally, outlandishly, knock me upside de haid good-- hassle Fletcher to put you on the list for an NPNG--"No Pain, No Gain"-- legend has it they are imminent.

I have never heard anything to compare with the clarity and the healthy dose of... I dunno what the word is... "engaging-ness." That's an awkward word but it captures it.

This pre makes everything glow. You have got to hear it to believe it.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Stop da music!

If you ever wanted a four channel pre that's insanely good-- totally, outlandishly, knock me upside de haid good-- hassle Fletcher to put you on the list for an NPNG--"No Pain, No Gain"-- legend has it they are imminent.

I have never heard anything to compare with the clarity and the healthy dose of... I dunno what the word is... "engaging-ness." That's an awkward word but it captures it.

yes but how does it look?
Old 8th September 2007
Like they ripped off the design from Behringer?
Old 8th September 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Hip hop and R&b standard is the Avalon 737....I'm not necessarily recommending it, but it is used by producers in those genre's aaaaallll the time. The GR is more desirable to me personally, but you should check the 737....
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

yeah 737 i looked @ but it seems like it's not the goto anymore and there are other options that are considered better. Not that i'm saying 737 isn't a good pre but i just want to see what else is out there
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Stop da music!

When are they going to be on the market and for how much?
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

what is the cost of the NPNG unit?Any pics of it yet?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

There's a slew of excellent 4 ch pre's out there. Focusrite makes two models, both rather sexy; not so sexy but darn good include benchmark, sytek, great river, just to name a few. Why not consider one of these along with better mikes?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

what about the A-Designs Pacifica seems versatile
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
what about the A-Designs Pacifica seems versatile
I love them and find them to be extremely versatile. Its my personal fave mic pre. The Great River you are looking at is also a wonderful pre.

Hip Hop/R&B clients love the look of the 737, but I would not put it on par with the above options.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

yeah i mean the 737 eq and compressor don't seem that impressive from what i've heard, might as well spend the $1,900 on a top end pre and get eq and comp down the line. With that in mind is there certain chains that stand out or does mixing and matching nice gear together always give you awsome results no matter what? What would accommodate the pacifica or what would accommodate the Great River pre as far as eq's and compressors?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you're looking at a lunchbox (I assume for versatility and portability etc), lots of sweet companies make pres that will suit differant needs. If you're checking out the ME-1NV, but looking at a lunchbox, take a look at the MP-500NV...exact same thing, in a lunchbox compatible format. A-Designs, Purple, Shadow Hills, Eisen, BAE, Buzz Audio, and of course API all make pres that fit the 500 series format. All great, well-built pieces, all different sounds. A lunchbox full of each of one of those is a sweet foundation to build off of.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

yeah that sounds like a good idea for sure. As far as my first high end pre i like the pacifica because it seems to work well with everything which is a big plus.

On another note I'm not really looking for a portable unit so that doesn't really grab my attention to much with the lunchbox.

oh and whats the difference between the me-1nv and the mp-500nv. I know this sounds stupid because its a mic pre but i didn't see any back images of the mp-500nv. It does have a mic xlr right? (noob)
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

That's built in to the lunchbox. The P-1 is the "Pacifica" 500. That would take up 3 spaces (if you also for the GR) so you'd have room for an API 512c, Chandler Germ and a compressor. Just because it's portable doesn't mean you have to carry it around.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm View Post
oh and whats the difference between the me-1nv and the mp-500nv. I know this sounds stupid because its a mic pre but i didn't see any back images of the mp-500nv. It does have a mic xlr right? (noob)
sonically? no differences. the only spec difference is the lack of a patch jack and -10 output. I've got 3 of em...now I just have to find the time to put em together...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

irthwirm,

Check out the PRE420. 4 channels of prestine mic pre for $2775 (less then $700/channel). This pre sounds amazing....really tight, clear low-end...extremely faithful hi-freqs without brittle, glare. It makes the intrument/voice seem like it is originating from directly behind the speaker cone of your studio monitors...
Plus, it doesn't slack on the eye-candy value...

Plus, its got a ton of really intelligent 'hidden' features...things that make it an engineers best friend.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

i think for r'nb vox the focusrite red is almost completely overlooked by this community, and it has exactly the sound that's in vogue. fairly neutral, sheeny top, and a subtle mid presence peak that works perfectly for anything 'modern.'

the whole red3 line is a bit of an underdog, actually. i love the comp in particular.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Sebatron vmp4000e. Best four channel pre out there.
Passive EQ on each channel and a three way pad.
Direct Input on each channel as well. Built solid as.Has its own tone that compliments other preamps well.
Vintech 473 ain't bad either.Has a Neve feel . Sometimes a little overcolored.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i think for r'nb vox the focusrite red is almost completely overlooked by this community, and it has exactly the sound that's in vogue. fairly neutral, sheeny top, and a subtle mid presence peak that works perfectly for anything 'modern.'

the whole red3 line is a bit of an underdog, actually. i love the comp in particular.

gregoire
del
ubk
How does the Red's sound compare to the ISA-428?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasGwinn View Post
irthwirm,

Check out the PRE420. 4 channels of prestine mic pre for $2775 (less then $700/channel). This pre sounds amazing....really tight, clear low-end...extremely faithful hi-freqs without brittle, glare. It makes the intrument/voice seem like it is originating from directly behind the speaker cone of your studio monitors...
Plus, it doesn't slack on the eye-candy value...

Plus, its got a ton of really intelligent 'hidden' features...things that make it an engineers best friend.
Thanks for the input. I'm looking for something that's gonna add some warmth to my sounds. It says hear that it's transparent.

heres a good post to look at going off the Sebatron vmp4000e and the ISA-428 Don't waste your $ on "mid-level" mic pres and channel strips - Topic Powered by eve community

i'm leaning toward the sebtron vmp4000e. Anyone disagree.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search