The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Mixbus Compressor settings?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

SSL Mixbus Compressor settings?

I am borrowing an SSL G384, I have to give it back tomorrow so Im messing with it as much as possible. I know theres a common mixbus setting that engineers use: ratio 4, attack 3, release auto. Im finding with these setting I cant compress more than 2db without things getting a little squashy. With the attack on 10 I can compress more with it being more transparent. Im just wondering how some other guys set this thing?

Junk
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Attack on 10, Release on Auto, No Make up gain.

Never go more than 4db unless it just sounds great.

Have fun,
Michael Greene
Old 7th September 2007
TML
Lives for gear

Some like the slowest attacka and auto release... people stay away from gain makeup cause it can add noise and alter tone..... I like .1 for attack 2:1/4:1 just get the needles twitchin for rock.......
tim
Old 7th September 2007
Attack: .1
Ratio: 2
Release: .1

Adjust threshold so you aren't taking off anymore than 3-4db and adjust the make-up gain accordingly.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

uhmmm, for rock I start teh attack @ 10ms (and go faster if needed) but never to .1, I never liked it so fast , and I like to leave some space to breath.

For hip-hop I like it around 30ms (but as always there no rules)

Fast release and no Gain. Also the sidechain @ 90hz.

Cheers
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

I can't see how you guys can generalize things while not knowing the hook, the speed etc. of the song!!!???

Use your ears more then your eyes and you'll get really great sound out of it! BTW I always add more %%%%%% of it's make up gain...

Rule is... there are no rules!

Peace!
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perun View Post
I can't see how you guys can generalize things while not knowing the hook, the speed etc. of the song!!!???

Use your ears more then your eyes and you'll get really great sound out of it! BTW I always add more %%%%%% of it's make up gain...

Peace!
While I agree with you to a point, what I think most of us are suggesting are starting points. Do I always use my C-1 or SSL in this setting? No. It does vary but I can tell you that I almost always start there and adjust as the song dictates. I am not a set it and forget it kind of guy.

I agree. There are no rules but there are starting points!

Michael Greene
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perun View Post

Peace!
I have to agree with this.

I often change the ratio on mine depending on the style, and speed, of the music im working on.

Usually though i like to keep the attack slow and the release fast, i also have the addition of a sidechain HP filter in mine which is usually engaged at all times.

Old 9th September 2007
I like the ratio at 2:1, I dont touch the make up gain , I leave it a zero.
Attack is the setting I fool with the most but at 2:1 I never have to go as slow as 10. Usually its either 3 or 1. I think the slower attack would make more sense at a higher ratio, but I dont like a higher ratio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search