The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Teletronix La-2a Rare Parts Drum Microphones
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Teletronix La-2a Rare Parts

Hello GS,

I want an LA-2A and I've got a friend who could build one if he had the time. I'm probably going to commission him to build me one later in the year.

I'd like to try and get as many as the original parts that were used as possible.

He mentioned that the UTC transformer would be difficult. I think that's what he said, I could be mis-quoting him.

Anybody know what parts would be hard to find?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
i believe you're referring to the UTC HA100x. i found one on ebay without much problem awhile back.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Well the HA100X and the A24 can sometimes be found on ebay. Not sure how often they come up since i am not into building a LA2A right now.
Besides the transformers, you need to source a T4B. I am not sure, maybe Universal Audio sells replacement T4Bs.

If you don't have any luck with the transformers you can try Sowter. They make replacements for the LA2A (among several other units).

Flo
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

The UTC A10 input transformers came shortly after the UTC HA100x. Don't worry to much about trying to find the UTC HA100x... the A10 is the exact same thing with slightly better shielding. The A10's are also rare but much easier to find than the nearly non-existent HA100x.

You'll need UTC A24 on the output.

Those are the most important components in terms of the original sound. You could get all nutty if you wanted and try to find the original cap brands and buy some NOS caps along with the original tubes and carbon resistors...

Depends how "original" you want to make it...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
The UTC A10 input transformers came shortly after the UTC HA100x. Don't worry to much about trying to find the UTC HA100x... the A10 is the exact same thing with slightly better shielding. The A10's are also rare but much easier to find than the nearly non-existent HA100x.

You'll need UTC A24 on the output.

Those are the most important components in terms of the original sound. You could get all nutty if you wanted and try to find the original cap brands and buy some NOS caps along with the original tubes and carbon resistors...

Depends how "original" you want to make it...
As much as possible baby, but I'm a reasonable fellow.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal_Death View Post

If you don't have any luck with the transformers you can try Sowter. They make replacements for the LA2A (among several other units).

Flo
FWIW the Sowter replacement transformers are a different ratio and impedance than the originals. They also sound different (cleaner) than the originals and produce more output gain. You can hear them in the La2a sound clip thread I posted recently.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
As much as possible baby, but I'm a reasonable fellow.
If you got the dough, just buy this: PROTOTYPE TELETRONIX LA2A COMPRESSOR/LIMITER - (eBay item 300148284462 end time Sep-14-07 18:47:21 PDT)

It's not only got the original parts, it is THE original La2a. Prototype. You can't get more original than that!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
FWIW the Sowter replacement transformers are a different ratio and impedance than the originals. They also sound different (cleaner) than the originals and produce more output gain. You can hear them in the La2a sound clip thread I posted recently.
Cool, thanks for the info. If i ever build a LA2A i guess i will go for the sowters as they are much easier to obtain. Here in germany it's impossible to find those UTC transformers (or UTC transformers in general) and buying them in america is way to expensive.
So it seems like the sowters aren't the best choice if you want to go as original as possible. Not that it would bother me but always good to know.

Flo
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you got the dough, just buy this: PROTOTYPE TELETRONIX LA2A COMPRESSOR/LIMITER - (eBay item 300148284462 end time Sep-14-07 18:47:21 PDT)

It's not only got the original parts, it is THE original La2a. Prototype. You can't get more original than that!
yeah, I saw that. But unfortunately I don't have the dough for something like that. I'm guessing it'll end close to $4000.

I could probably commission my friend to build something like that in the neighborhood of $1000. I know there's other clones out there, but the opinions sway too much. Besides, why not see it being made in a custom fashion to your liking you know? Who can have access to that?

Who knows, if they're not TOO difficult to make, we might try making a couple more.

He had the idea originally to make them from these old ADM cards that he has stored. He says they have the same transformers. I told him I'd be interested, but would aim to get as close to the original as possible, meaning we're going to have to push harder and get original parts.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well the HA100X and the A24 can sometimes be found on ebay. Not sure how often they come up since i am not into building a LA2A right now.
Besides the transformers, you need to source a T4B. I am not sure, maybe Universal Audio sells replacement T4Bs.

Flo
What's a T4B anyway?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

You can read about the T4B here:
t5

Pics seem to be missing but text is still there. The T4B is the component for the gain reduction so it's very mandatory.

Flo
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can read about the T4B here:
t5

Pics seem to be missing but text is still there. The T4B is the component for the gain reduction so it's very mandatory.

Flo
Cool beans!

Thanks Infernal Death!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the info. If i ever build a LA2A i guess i will go for the sowters as they are much easier to obtain. Here in germany it's impossible to find those UTC transformers (or UTC transformers in general) and buying them in america is way to expensive.
So it seems like the sowters aren't the best choice if you want to go as original as possible. Not that it would bother me but always good to know.

Flo
Yes. I think the Sowters are very nice. They make a good product.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Soupking. Are you going to do it point to point or with the Drip boards?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Soupking. Are you going to do it point to point or with the Drip boards?
Not sure yet. I hear point-to-point wiring is most authentic. So that would be my aim.

It looks like besides wiring bits, there aren't too many rare pieces.
Old 8th September 2007
That "prototype" on the bay is total bullsh*t. IEC power, "repainted", shiny inside, modified... it's just a DIY project.
Old 8th September 2007
x99
Gear Nut

T4b's on ebay:
eBay Australia Shop - Studio Electronics Burbank: Adaptor Cables, Misc.

Also drip has a remake on offer for half that price.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Not sure yet. I hear point-to-point wiring is most authentic. So that would be my aim.

It looks like besides wiring bits, there aren't too many rare pieces.
I've been thinking about building one from scratch as well and found quite a bit
on doing this, especially this:

La2a Compressor - Pro Audio DIY Equipment - DIY Vintage Teletronix La2a Compressor

Many options for building one, basically its just finding the time to get it done..

And BTW I think the prototype of the LA2 could be the LA1, which is very rare
and there is one actually at Sonic Circus for sale which belonged to Richard Kaplan/Indigo Ranch. Also an interview in Mix that mentions him and the LA1.
http://0096c09.netsolhost.com/imageh...x_la1-pic1.jpg
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

None of the UTC's are rare at all. Just overly expensive these days. I've had great piles of all of them over the last 5-10 years. They've all gone away to the highest bidder, which gets higher every day. So get ready to shell out it you really gotta have the originals. Personally, I don't need'em in my tax bracket.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

wouldn't this thread be better address in geek slutz or over at the prodigy forum?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
wouldn't this thread be better address in geek slutz or over at the prodigy forum?
Possibly, but I wanted to hit a broader audience with this question.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I wasn't trying to be rude, I just figured you'd have more luck in those places. It's cool.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruition2k View Post
I've been thinking about building one from scratch as well and found quite a bit
on doing this, especially this:

La2a Compressor - Pro Audio DIY Equipment - DIY Vintage Teletronix La2a Compressor
[/url]
Yeah the Cayocosta layouts are amazing. I wish more people were posting stuff like this on the net. I'm using his layout for my Pultec point to point build.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
None of the UTC's are rare at all. Just overly expensive these days. I've had great piles of all of them over the last 5-10 years. They've all gone away to the highest bidder, which gets higher every day. So get ready to shell out it you really gotta have the originals. Personally, I don't need'em in my tax bracket.
Yes, the UTC transformer prices have jumped quite a bit, but the Sowter replacement Iron is also expensive. The La-2a output tranny is $117 once you convert pounds to dollars! The input is $72. So the UTC ebay prices and Sowter direct prices are roughly equivalent if your spec'ing parts for a La2a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer
That "prototype" on the bay is total bullsh*t. IEC power, "repainted", shiny inside, modified... it's just a DIY project.
Dang... if you're right, someone should inform those poor bidders before they get swindled.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Prodigy is a great site and over a 100 pages of LA2A info should be enough to
inspire anyone to build their own version.

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/vie...highlight=la2a

Lots to read.....
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

I built one of these from Drip's pcb with a urei/jbl t4b (when they were selling them CHEAP) and have subbed in various transformers and a few caps...they sound fantastic. A very easy build with lot's of help over at prodigy..just be careful..double check your work..tube voltage can KILL..I couldn't imaging vox or bass without this guy..As a matter of fact I am going to build at least 2 more (one for a friend)...

Ray
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
I wasn't trying to be rude, I just figured you'd have more luck in those places. It's cool.
No worries mate, it's cool.

(why the heck doesn't GS just have an ordinary smiley face?)
Old 9th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes, the UTC transformer prices have jumped quite a bit, but the Sowter replacement Iron is also expensive. The La-2a output tranny is $117 once you convert pounds to dollars! The input is $72. So the UTC ebay prices and Sowter direct prices are roughly equivalent if your spec'ing parts for a La2a.
Yeah !!! don't tell, I just spent 479£ for sowter transformers for my 2 la2a diy projects

I'm using two drip board myself... very exciting... I've ordered everything except for the knobs can't get my hand on these http://www.cosmocorp.com/en/kp-handl...=3&KN=2&src=17 since I missed the group buy on prodigy..... anyone here who can point me towards nice looking knobs. I'm not too convinced by what I saw so far exept for the cosmo.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

knobs

I buy knobs from Allied. I'm not sure if they ship to London.

Search results for "knobs" - Allied Electronics

If you want some NOS old school bakelite knobs you can try here (be prepared to pay good money however).

Antique Knobs

Also Ebay is good sometimes.
Old 9th September 2007
Here for the gear

Cheers mate, I m having a look at vintage knobs right now..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search